Seafood, or lack of it ...

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Sage

There is a butterfish.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

but here what is noted on the menu as butterfish is another fish named that .butter fish are only about a pound ish and mostly off the coast of maine and are not really fished..with as much as served in TV alone it would be hard to produce this tiny fish
Old 04-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Gold member

Butterfish served in Hawaii is cod marinated in miso. This dish orginated in Japan. There is actually a smaller fish named butterfish but is not the dish most are familiar with.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
nothing beats the guy in the truck on 466 you buy fish that is really that fish...did you know that there is no such thing as Butterfish
I used to buy butterfish by the pallet for tuna fishing bait!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
Butterfish served in Hawaii is cod marinated in miso. This dish orginated in Japan. There is actually a smaller fish named butterfish but is not the dish most are familiar with.
Okay, but what is cod? And is there really a butterfish, or is it the name of the dish, not the fish? What I had was buttery, but I didn't detect miso, which I don't care for.

Also, it didn't seem like it came from a big fish. So I don't know what I had. Next time I'll ask! or maybe not, because I liked it nonetheless.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
I used to buy butterfish by the pallet for tuna fishing bait!!!
Well, try pan-sauteeing a couple of them next time!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Sage

I read recently that 87% of the time you order Red Snapper you are not getting it. This doesn't surprise me since for many years Red Snapper has been on the list of scarce fish. My pet peeve is ordering Grouper which is a very round or fat fish. When it is served it looks like a fillet of Tilapia instead of being at least 3/4" thick. It is NOT Grouper.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Sage

Publix at Southern Trace has a special today on Canada lobster (cold water lobster) for $9.99 a lb. They will cook it for you, so you don't have to smell up your house. I think their regular price is $17.99 a lb. Yum.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Okay, but what is cod? And is there really a butterfish, or is it the name of the dish, not the fish? What I had was buttery, but I didn't detect miso, which I don't care for.

Also, it didn't seem like it came from a big fish. So I don't know what I had. Next time I'll ask! or maybe not, because I liked it nonetheless.
The dish can also be served without the miso marinade. Adding the miso makes it more expensive here. It is usually sold packaged in small chunks at the fish market. I believe the name refers to the dish, not the type of fish.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Publix at Southern Trace has a special today on Canada lobster (cold water lobster) for $9.99 a lb. They will cook it for you, so you don't have to smell up your house. I think their regular price is $17.99 a lb. Yum.
Thanks for posting this. I just got mine, 1 1/2lbs of deep cold water Lobster! Cooked in the store and will become a wonderful lobster roll - thankfully the other half does not care for Lobster which leaves more for me!

I spoke to the Manager of the Fish Department. He said they have a tankful of lobsters, this is an in house special price only as long as the lobsters last.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Sage

Butterfish are aptly named; they're smooth and buttery with fine flaky white flesh and have very little fat. They're easy to eat whole, since they have relatively few bones. If you can't find butterfish, use pompano or mackerel.

Serves 4

Ingredients

Eight 6- to 8-ounce whole butterfish, or pompano or mackerel
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Parsley sprigs, for garnish
Directions

Prepare a stove-top griddle or outdoor grill with the rack set 1 inch above the coals. Allow the grill to get very hot.
Meanwhile, brush the butterfish with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the butterfish about 3 minutes per side, until the fish just begins to flake. Arrange 2 butterfish on each of 4 dinner plates, garnish with the parsley, and serve.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:07 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

[QUOTE=Spizwink;655317]As a new owner in The Villages, we have tried several eateries. We have been disappointed that there is a lack of fresh Seafood.

Any suggestions?

Thanks[/QUO

We feel the same..........Oysters seem to be the only raw bar food we can get at Magnolia's in Leesburg, look for their add in the Daily Sun........opening soon as Rita's on 301

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 04-09-2013, 05:55 AM
Smile

I love to eat butterfish.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:10 AM
Default fresh seafood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizwink View Post
As a new owner in The Villages, we have tried several eateries. We have been disappointed that there is a lack of fresh Seafood.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sad isn't it? I've been complaining about that too. Imagine having an ocean all around you and you can't get fresh fish.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Try the Lighthouse at Lake Sumter, they are as close as we have come to good fish.
I agree with Madelaine. We enjoyed it and ate there several times and then also took our visiting son, his wife, and daughter there again. Had we stayed longer than October and November we would have become regulars.

Once we ate inside and all the other times we ate outdoors on the deck looking at Lake Sumter. Gave us our "seafood fix" until we get to the Maine seacoast again......this summer. If you go before the dinner "rush" there is no problem getting a table with a water view. The outdoor deck tables fill up fast.

I also had seafood at the Waterfront Inn which was good.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.