Seafood, or lack of it ...

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-07-2013, 07:24 AM
Spizwink Spizwink is offline
Member
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Seafood, or lack of it ...

As a new owner in The Villages, we have tried several eateries. We have been disappointed that there is a lack of fresh Seafood.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
  #2  
Old 04-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Madelaine Amee's Avatar
Madelaine Amee Madelaine Amee is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Villages North
Posts: 3,924
Thanks: 800
Thanked 672 Times in 230 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizwink View Post
As a new owner in The Villages, we have tried several eateries. We have been disappointed that there is a lack of fresh Seafood.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Try the Lighthouse at Lake Sumter, they are as close as we have come to good fish.
__________________
A people free to choose will always choose peace.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
  #3  
Old 04-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Spizwink Spizwink is offline
Member
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks... we've been there also. I am just about resolved that fresh (well prepared) Seafood is just a shortcoming of the eateries in The Villages, but if that's all I can find wrong, I'm sure I'll live!
  #4  
Old 04-07-2013, 08:06 AM
jane032657's Avatar
jane032657 jane032657 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills
Posts: 1,119
Thanks: 1
Thanked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Buy your own fish and cook it from the fish truck on 466 at the fruit shack-he is there Thursdays to Sundays. It is called Lighthouse but it is not the retsuarant, that is the name of his business. Also has amazing key lime pie that his mother makes but it sells out fast, best to order ahead.
  #5  
Old 04-07-2013, 09:46 AM
clod clod is offline
Member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 99
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Peck's Old Port Cove in Crystal River has good seafood.

  #6  
Old 04-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,648
Thanks: 1,448
Thanked 177 Times in 124 Posts
Default

Are there any good seafood restaurants located in The Villages? We usually go to Bonefish or The Lighthouse (and of course, Lopez for lobster night, or Orange Blossom for crab night). But I'd love to hear of other places.
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #7  
Old 04-07-2013, 09:55 AM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,694
Thanks: 269
Thanked 832 Times in 397 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
Buy your own fish and cook it from the fish truck on 466 at the fruit shack-he is there Thursdays to Sundays. It is called Lighthouse but it is not the retsuarant, that is the name of his business. Also has amazing key lime pie that his mother makes but it sells out fast, best to order ahead.
By "the fruit shack," do you mean the place at the corner of 301 & 466? If not, can you tell me where it is?
  #8  
Old 04-07-2013, 10:05 AM
asianthree's Avatar
asianthree asianthree is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennacamp, Fernandinia 2 Frogs
Posts: 6,943
Thanks: 18
Thanked 824 Times in 322 Posts
Default

nothing beats the guy in the truck on 466 you buy fish that is really that fish...did you know that there is no such thing as Butterfish
__________________
Do not worry about things you can not change
  #9  
Old 04-07-2013, 10:11 AM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,694
Thanks: 269
Thanked 832 Times in 397 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
nothing beats the guy in the truck on 466 you buy fish that is really that fish...did you know that there is no such thing as Butterfish
Again, exactly where on 466 is he located?

I had "butterfish" at Bonifay last week. Never heard of it. It was really good. Now I wonder what the heck I ate!
  #10  
Old 04-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Madelaine Amee's Avatar
Madelaine Amee Madelaine Amee is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Villages North
Posts: 3,924
Thanks: 800
Thanked 672 Times in 230 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Again, exactly where on 466 is he located?

I had "butterfish" at Bonifay last week. Never heard of it. It was really good. Now I wonder what the heck I ate!
The fish guy on 466 is located on the left hand side of 466 going towards Rolling Acres. As you pass Morse there are some buildings on the left hand side, then there is a small "mall" (for want of a better description) and right at the end of that there is a fruit stand. He puts his truck right there between the stores and the fruit stand, but he is not there every day. There was a thread running before that gave his hours and days. Evidently you call him and he brings what you want.

Where is our wonderful "link" guy? Please help me with this floundering around I am doing here!
__________________
A people free to choose will always choose peace.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
  #11  
Old 04-07-2013, 10:20 AM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,694
Thanks: 269
Thanked 832 Times in 397 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
The fish guy on 466 is located on the left hand side of 466 going towards Rolling Acres. As you pass Morse there are some buildings on the left hand side, then there is a small "mall" (for want of a better description) and right at the end of that there is a fruit stand. He puts his truck right there between the stores and the fruit stand, but he is not there every day. There was a thread running before that gave his hours and days. Evidently you call him and he brings what you want.

Where is our wonderful "link" guy? Please help me with this floundering around I am doing here!
Thank you! Think I will drive by there today.
  #12  
Old 04-07-2013, 10:23 AM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,694
Thanks: 269
Thanked 832 Times in 397 Posts
Default

http://www.talkofthevillages.com/for...seafood-35935/ Try this thread for some explanation and further suggestions.
  #13  
Old 04-07-2013, 10:25 AM
DougB's Avatar
DougB DougB is offline
Sage
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hacienda South
Posts: 2,953
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
nothing beats the guy in the truck on 466 you buy fish that is really that fish...did you know that there is no such thing as Butterfish
Not only should you not believe everything on the Internet, but also don't believe everything a guy in a truck on 466 tells you.
__________________
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
  #14  
Old 04-07-2013, 10:29 AM
bluedog103's Avatar
bluedog103 bluedog103 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 1,437
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

There are many great seafood restaurants nearby but I know of none in TV. If you're willing to travel to Inverness, Ocklawaha, or Tavares or even over near the gulf you can get excellent fresh fish. Lighthouse Restaurant and Bonefish are good and we enjoy going there but they weren't exactly what we are looking for when we want really good, fresh fish.
__________________
New York State, Alabama, South Carolina, Texas, Italy.
  #15  
Old 04-07-2013, 10:31 AM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,694
Thanks: 269
Thanked 832 Times in 397 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Not only should you not believe everything on the Internet, but also don't believe everything a guy in a truck on 466 tells you.
How come?
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 PM.