In search of high quality food.

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Sage

I have about given up on finding the kind of restaurants that I"ve enjoyed in NY, Va. and Me. The norm here in and around TV, seems to be indifferent food, indifferently served, and it's fine with most everyone as long as it's plentiful and cheap.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 01-13-2012, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. We did find a great little Cajun place in Winter Garden called the Big Easy. Located in a strip mall next to publix It had great food and service and very reasonable prices. The owner is always there and takes great pride in his food. Sadly it is almost an hr away. But if you are already down that way it is well worth going to.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Sage

I will add another vote for Southern Cottillion in Wildwood. Also, Harry's Seafood Grill in Ocala (by the town square) is excellent. I did not care for Goblin Market in Mt. Dora.

The River House in Crystal River is excellent - and the monkeys on Monkey Island are fun to watch as you eat in the dining room.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
I will add another vote for Southern Cottillion in Wildwood. Also, Harry's Seafood Grill in Ocala (by the town square) is excellent. I did not care for Goblin Market in Mt. Dora.

The River House in Crystal River is excellent - and the monkeys on Monkey Island are fun to watch as you eat in the dining room.
I am interested in trying the River House, but cannot find any information on the web. Is it the Crystal River Ale House by chance?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvmyPug2 View Post
DH and I prefer locally owned restaurants that use fresh, high quality ingredients cooked in inventive ways. It can be a hole-in-the wall or a fancy white linen restaurant...it doesn't matter as long as it serves a flavorful meal made with quality ingredients. Chain restaurants just don't cut it for us and the courntry clubs we have visted (Cane Garden, Havana and Arnold Palmer) have been pretty disappointing. Any suggestions of places inside or outside of TV?
We had a similar experience trying to find places to eat. If you like sushi and sashimi, Sakura on 466A is good. Some of the pasta dishes at Red Sauce in Sumter Landing were good but there's nothing like homemade pasta! Have you tried Giovanni's in one of the shopping centers on 466? You have to get there early if you don't want to wait for a table but the linguini and clams is very good. Other than that, you have to travel outside The Villages for good restaurants. If you like German food and are up for a ride, there is a great place that won awards in Sanford outside of Orlando called Hallenbach's (sp?) Willow Tree Cafe - great German food and entertainment!! Good luck.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePir2 View Post
We had a similar experience trying to find places to eat. If you like sushi and sashimi, Sakura on 466A is good. Some of the pasta dishes at Red Sauce in Sumter Landing were good but there's nothing like homemade pasta! Have you tried Giovanni's in one of the shopping centers on 466? You have to get there early if you don't want to wait for a table but the linguini and clams is very good. Other than that, you have to travel outside The Villages for good restaurants. If you like German food and are up for a ride, there is a great place that won awards in Sanford outside of Orlando called Hallenbach's (sp?) Willow Tree Cafe - great German food and entertainment!! Good luck.
I found that Naples in Leesburg has really good Italian food. They have my favorite Gnocchi and they have an unheard of 4 or 5 different choices of it. I've also had it at Giovanni's but found Naples is much better by far! BTW, I grew up on homemade gnocchi! http://g.co/maps/cmtwr
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 01-15-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
I found that Naples in Leesburg has really good Italian food. They have my favorite Gnocchi and they have an unheard of 4 or 5 different choices of it. I've also had it at Giovanni's but found Naples is much better by far! BTW, I grew up on homemade gnocchi! http://g.co/maps/cmtwr
Tony's Pizza. Better than any around here. Hwy 27 2 1/2 Miles south of Hwy 44 in a strip mall on left.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:42 PM

Yum - I love gnocchi. We will have to check out Naples! Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-16-2012, 06:32 PM

This weekend we enjoyed a wonderful meal at Taverna Red on 27. Service was a bit slow but worth the wait.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePir2 View Post
Yum - I love gnocchi. We will have to check out Naples! Thanks for the tip!
You're welcome! We stopped there again for an early dinner earlier today and were not disappointed. I wanted something different than gnocchi so I had angle hair pasta with MB's and mushrooms! It was a huge serving and brought home a good serving for another meal. However, I just can't resist the gnocchi, I'm a sucker for them. So we got an order to go and will reheat either tomorrow or the next day.
The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 01-17-2012, 08:46 AM
Gold member

Yes Florida has its cons, if you want the best food don't go to Florida. If you don't start with the best ingredients the result cant be great -- there is nothing like a NJ grown tomato - its in the soil not the sand we have in Florida - there is nothing like a NJ grown corn (white or sweet) again the soil
The beef is mostly grass fed not grain feed (grass fed probably healthier) but you can tell the difference in taste - all locally grown vegetables again are grown in the Florida soil. My favorite restaurants is "Pinons" in Aspen Co
Old 01-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Yes Florida has its cons, if you want the best food don't go to Florida. If you don't start with the best ingredients the result cant be great -- there is nothing like a NJ grown tomato - its in the soil not the sand we have in Florida - there is nothing like a NJ grown corn (white or sweet) again the soil
The beef is mostly grass fed not grain feed (grass fed probably healthier) but you can tell the difference in taste - all locally grown vegetables again are grown in the Florida soil. My favorite restaurants is "Pinons" in Aspen Co
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 01-17-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvmyPug2 View Post
DH and I prefer locally owned restaurants that use fresh, high quality ingredients cooked in inventive ways. It can be a hole-in-the wall or a fancy white linen restaurant...it doesn't matter as long as it serves a flavorful meal made with quality ingredients. Chain restaurants just don't cut it for us and the courntry clubs we have visted (Cane Garden, Havana and Arnold Palmer) have been pretty disappointing. Any suggestions of places inside or outside of TV?
In my opinion, to get a really exceptional dining experience, you need to travel a bit. I recommend a restaurant in Orlando called Chatham's Place. It is located off Dr. Phillips Drive and Sand Lake Rd. The food is what would probably be called new American, or eclectic. The quality is exceptional, as is the service. It's a very small place and quite expensive, but well worth it.

If you're a steak lover, I recommend Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa. One of the few places around that serves prime beef that is dry aged. It's comparable in price to Mark's Prime in Ocala, and better.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
In my opinion, to get a really exceptional dining experience, you need to travel a bit. I recommend a restaurant in Orlando called Chatham's Place. It is located off Dr. Phillips Drive and Sand Lake Rd. The food is what would probably be called new American, or eclectic. The quality is exceptional, as is the service. It's a very small place and quite expensive, but well worth it.

If you're a steak lover, I recommend Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa. One of the few places around that serves prime beef that is dry aged. It's comparable in price to Mark's Prime in Ocala, and better.
Congratulations!!! You are someone who knows what really good food is all about. Not sure I agree that Bern's is better than Mark's but that's only an opinion. Bern's is a must see for the dessert rooms, the wine cellar and kitchen tour. the three you mention are in a class by themselves, a class that easily could include Jeffery Paul's chop House which has just relocated from Eustis to Leesburg and Dempsey's Steak House in the Saddlebrook Resort just north of Tampa.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Veteran member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post

Have heard of some of these restaurants before. Must put them on our list.
If you're ever further south make an effort to try the seafood restaurant in the Hyatt Regency, Tarpon Bay. Food, service , ambiance all first rate.
Too bad it's soo far away.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.