Should have walked

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2019, 06:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Would be a boring (yawn) site if no negative comments were allowed at all. One sided, I’d never believe a thing....
But when one person posts NOTHING but negative comments how can you believe that?

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 07-28-2019, 06:48 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
But when one person posts NOTHING but negative comments how can you believe that?
So true...
Old 07-28-2019, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

I don’t know how many of my posts have been deleted here already and it doesn’t bother me personally. In fact, I delete a lot of my own posts because they are time or person sensitive. I don’t know the history of the poster but from what I was reading today he was just relating his experience and he gave proof of why.

So he doesn’t like to NOT get what he is expecting? Neither do I but that’s life. Hehe, would have liked to read the “tirade”

The new restaurant is still on my must visit list.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:08 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Some folks like to flaunt their superior taste in food and drink and life in general. The same people often like to also flaunt their comparative wealth, whether real or imagined. I find it both sickening and amusing, but in general, most are pretty consistent - everyone has their right to comment.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:13 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

The smallest shots I ever got at a bar were of Scotch in Scotland. Go figure.

Also I love a good Martini and on one trip to France I was finally able to get one from an American bartender training there. If I recall correctly it was 20 Euros at a high end hotel in Paris - and YES, he overpoured so I tipped him well - but it was worth it after a couple of weeks of being asked, "sweet or dry", then being served vermouth. They did not know what I meant responded the young American bartender when I told him about my experiences.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 07-28-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

I see it more as sharing hard won secrets with others, a life time of experiences, good and bad. We learn from each other.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:03 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

I may regret this but I feel somebody needs to play devils advocate. Chat has a long history of posting here. He has stated he owned and operated a high end restaurant in NYC. I've been in the restaurant industry for 33 years so I believe I can smell a fake when I see one and he's not that.
My opinion only, but I think Chat was coming from the perspective of Guest Excellence.That means giving a WOW experience to every guest that walks in the door. We all know that the media has been lauding Chophouse the last few months as an "upscale" venue above the regular Country Club menus. Now, if I were from NYC and my life experience was that great establishments do not use jiggers to measure out alcohol, I would probably make the same complaint. It is a known fact that restaurants can buy their booze at a great discount from retail therefore the cost per shot is minimal. Example, I was in a restaurant in Orlando recently that had Matua Sauvignon Blanc on the menu for $11 per 6 oz pour. Now, you can BUY a bottle of Matua at COSTCO for $8 a bottle. Get the point? A free pour from a trained bartender can give the customer the feel of "I like this place" while still controlling the cost to the owner. I could go on but I'll wait for the negatives.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Actually no, I went to bartender school, became a certified bartender, was a bartender by profession for awhile, and learned some actual facts in the process.

People who expect free-pouring are the reason some places refuse to do it.
Nailed it. If I could post more, I would.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:18 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I don’t know how many of my posts have been deleted here already and it doesn’t bother me personally. In fact, I delete a lot of my own posts because they are time or person sensitive. I don’t know the history of the poster but from what I was reading today he was just relating his experience and he gave proof of why.

So he doesn’t like to NOT get what he is expecting? Neither do I but that’s life. Hehe, would have liked to read the “tirade”

The new restaurant is still on my must visit list.
He pretty much said "if your from some hick place other than NY (and randomly named my state)... then you don't know what "good" is. Still frosts me. He doesn't know me... has no clue of who I am and where I've been and what culinary experiences I've had. Yet dismisses me because of where I lived. So I went off on a rant about "who do you think you are." It was taken off because it was personal. I get that. He likes to stir the pot A part of my doesn't want to feed that.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:45 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Could care less how a drink is poured. However, no substitutions could be a deal breaker for me. Whatever happened to the customer is always right?

Remember eating at The Four Seasons in NYC once. Child at a neighboring table wanted a hot dog. None on the menu. The matre d’ mmediately left and returned with a Sabrett’s from a street vendor. From that day forward, I took that as the gold standard for service.

(And I’ll be nice and not comment about the snobbery of panning every local restaurant. Some insecurities should be left unsaid.)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-28-2019, 09:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
I may regret this but I feel somebody needs to play devils advocate. Chat has a long history of posting here. He has stated he owned and operated a high end restaurant in NYC. I've been in the restaurant industry for 33 years so I believe I can smell a fake when I see one and he's not that.
My opinion only, but I think Chat was coming from the perspective of Guest Excellence.That means giving a WOW experience to every guest that walks in the door. We all know that the media has been lauding Chophouse the last few months as an "upscale" venue above the regular Country Club menus. Now, if I were from NYC and my life experience was that great establishments do not use jiggers to measure out alcohol, I would probably make the same complaint. It is a known fact that restaurants can buy their booze at a great discount from retail therefore the cost per shot is minimal. Example, I was in a restaurant in Orlando recently that had Matua Sauvignon Blanc on the menu for $11 per 6 oz pour. Now, you can BUY a bottle of Matua at COSTCO for $8 a bottle. Get the point? A free pour from a trained bartender can give the customer the feel of "I like this place" while still controlling the cost to the owner. I could go on but I'll wait for the negatives.
What you say is correct. But he is living in the wrong place.
Rather than make a change, he simply continues to complain.

A lot of that sort of thing goes on here.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
I'm a little confused. What exactly is the purpose of this thread?

If you're not going to name the restaurant, what's the point?
To make more complaints about yet another restaurant.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:53 PM
Veteran member

The thing I remember is he thinks Wawa is the bomb!
Old 07-29-2019, 06:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Then don't go back there. In your opinion the only decent places are the one's that you say are OK. Now we're going to pick on the pour and the price of drinks. Geez
Old 07-29-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusX1 View Post
The thing I remember is he thinks Wawa is the bomb!
I guess it's the free coffee. I remember the OP in a hissy fit because he didn't get free tape from the post office or UPS.
Closed Thread

Tags
insults, grey, bottle, restaurant, walked

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.