Patience is a virtue!

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2021, 10:41 AM
Default Patience is a virtue!

An important part of The Villages life style is to enjoy various activities. Of which eating out is probably at the top for most Villagers. We have different options as to where we go for food and drinks, country clubhouses and all the restaurants in the different Squares. In The Villages, despite some of the ravage caused by the Covid virus, we’ve been blessed with a return to much normalcy with the reopening of all of our restaurants. Yet, all restaurants had a tough time staying in business during the malevolence of Covid. More importantly, too many restaurants have barely recovered with employees shortage. As such, while being reopened, gaining back customers traffic, their service is often slower and hectic THROUGH NO FAULT OF THEIRS. Here is where the Villagers have an important role to play while they enjoy their outings to restaurants - BE PATIENT! Most of the Villagers are retired so what is the freaking rush. We should all be appreciative for the restaurants employees who are choosing to return to work to serve us. They all deserves kudos. And by the way, most of us, as Villagers Retirees, could afford showing our appreciation to the restaurants workers with a more generous tips. Face the music, the old days, pre Covid, are gone so we must adapt or stay home.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

That’s one of nicest posts I’ve seen on here and very wise advise about tipped I’ve always been an over tipper and have added more since they opened up again , I also gave all of stimulus money out in $100 bills to favorite wait staff , bar staff , gym employees and anyone else that I came in contact with in day to day living who lost there job and paid my cleaning person not to come during our initial lockdowns period , that’s what it was for , stimulus not to put into savings
Old 09-07-2021, 12:53 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc582 View Post
Of which eating out is probably at the top for most Villagers.
My guess, eating out is not at the top for most Villagers, but I agree with "BE PATIENT!".

& "BE PATIENT!" every where......grocery store, golf course, driving, parking, over-priced Happy Hours, Dog Poop, etc.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:03 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,311 Times in 381 Posts

Yes...service may be a bit slower but no that bad..nothing to really complain about..but...

WE ARE ENTITLED VILLAGERS. We demand everyting
Old 09-07-2021, 02:05 PM
Veteran member

Sounds great but people are only here for a few weeks no time to wait. Others are just too entitled to change. It’s really hard to be kind when you meet people like them. Seems to be a never ending line of them.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:11 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbad1 View Post
Sounds great but people are only here for a few weeks no time to wait. Others are just too entitled to change. It’s really hard to be kind when you meet people like them. Seems to be a never ending line of them.
Resident vs. Vacationer.

Old 09-07-2021, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

I won't tip more or less than I ever have. It's between 15% and 20% depending on the service, regardless of the quality or pricing of the food. Most restaurants are now paying their employees more than they were a year ago, because of this shortage. The employees who left in protest, did the right thing. They have earned better pay, they should've been getting better pay in the first place. So thanks to Covid-19, the industry is finally starting to realize what the employees have always known: the people who deal directly with the customers are the #1 most important people in the store. Even moreso than the customers themselves.

A customer can be the best most awesome excellent regular high-tipping low-maintenance customer in the entire world. But if the service sucks, that customer will cease to be a customer.

Waiters, bartenders, hosts, all the front end people, those are the ones who should get paid the most. And that amount should reflect the value the owner has on his entire business. Servers shouldn't NEED tips to survive, but this country for some reason mandates it and even has laws revolving around hospitality workers who get tips. Some countries don't have any such thing, the whole concept of tipping a waiter is mindboggling to them.

We need to practice patience, within reason. If you want to be served your meal by 5:30 and it's a Friday Night and Rocky and the Rollers are playing in the town square, then get there by 4:30 and be prepared to either wait to be seated, or be served early. Either of these things can happen, so just accept it, if you choose to dine out in a popular spot on the most popular night of the month.

If you're just going to Darrel's on a random early Wednesday afternoon, you might be served within 20 minutes of sitting down, with no waiting for a table at all.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

i've been tipping @ 20%, or more depending. it's my way of thanking the ones who DID show up to work, & my gratitude towards them. got to give them a break somehow
Old 09-07-2021, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
i've been tipping @ 20%, or more depending. it's my way of thanking the ones who DID show up to work, & my gratitude towards them. got to give them a break somehow
Most of them are earning $10/hour plus tips now. They are already getting a break. Minimum wage is still $8.65 until the end of the month. Federal minimum wage is still only $7.25/hour.

Minimum wage for SERVERS (waiters, waitresses, bartenders, etc) is $5.54/hour, as long as the server's ACTUAL hourly revenue equals or exceeds $8.65/hour after tips.

The breaks they should be getting is: 15 minute paid break during each shift, plus an unpaid 1/2 hour meal break for a 6 hour or longer shift on top of the 15 minute paid break. They should be able to earn 1 hour of paid personal time (sick, vacation, just feel like it, whatever) for every 40 hours worked. They should be getting the option to buy in to their employer's health insurance plan, whether at full group premium prices or if the company wants to kick in toward it. They should be entitled to a guaranteed minimum 4-hour shift; if they're only needed for less than 4, they should get paid for the full 4. If they choose to volunteer to leave early or ask to leave early, they get paid whatever they work.

They should get a boss who backs up their employees when needed, who isn't afraid of busing a table or bringing water and menus to guests if they're short-handed.

None of this is the diner's responsibility. And your 30% tip won't make up for the lack of any of the above. It'll just make the employer think "well they're getting tipped so well, we don't have to actually pay them what they're worth anymore."
Old 09-08-2021, 05:17 AM

Regardless, service without a smile is NO EXCUSE! Patience...yes. Acceptance of indifference or rudeness because they're having to work... absolutely not! That's what I've experienced lately and that means no tip. I start at 20%+...and I don't judge on things out of the wait staffs' control. But, service without a smile, rudeness, or inattentiveness....that 20% decreases rapidly.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:21 AM
Veteran member

I find your opinion hard to take, that people do not deserve more today than before. These people are coming into contact with vaccinated and unvaccinated people and are literally risking their lives to serve you for a few dollars a day. You can throw down on the table a extra few dollars to show some gratitude. I understand some of us can't afford it so don't go out
Old 09-08-2021, 05:25 AM
Veteran member

Does anyone really think $10 an hour is a good salary? The average rent for a one bedroom apartment is between $850 and $1,000 in our area. If you make the average and then you have to pay taxes, more than 50% of your income is going towards housing which is about 50% too much. I may not have the percentages exact but trust me it's a lot harder to live on 20,000 a year and being a villager with a paid off house getting social security and half a million in the bank. You can be a little generous , it won't cost you that much.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:20 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

We pay too good not to work and the people working feel cheated for not getting the free money as they work their butt off.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbad1 View Post
Might be a matter of perspective. When I’m out, everyone is really nice.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
Does anyone really think $10 an hour is a good salary? The average rent for a one bedroom apartment is between $850 and $1,000 in our area. If you make the average and then you have to pay taxes, more than 50% of your income is going towards housing which is about 50% too much. I may not have the percentages exact but trust me it's a lot harder to live on 20,000 a year and being a villager with a paid off house getting social security and half a million in the bank. You can be a little generous , it won't cost you that much.
If you are talking about service people in restaurants you do realize that $ 10 is only salary.

A good waiter or waitress will make several times that amount per hour
Closed Thread

Tags
restaurants, villagers, covid, return, important

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.