Shrimp's on the Lake in Lake Panasoffkee

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Old 09-03-2021, 07:47 AM
Veteran member
Default Shrimp's on the Lake in Lake Panasoffkee

Full disclosure here. I love shrimp and have since being a kid in Michigan. I first ate them at Tony's Original Restaurant in Saginaw. I felt I became a more sophisticated shrimp consumer with the introduction of Red Lobster (a "real" seafood restaurant, or so I thought at the time) and later with Coconut Shrimp at the Outback chain.

Well, I was wrong. When we retired and moved to Florida, I discovered locally caught shrimp at restaurants like Sam's St. Johns Seafood in The Villages or Stumpknockers on the Square in Inverness. However, the real jewel to me was Dixie Crossroads in Titusville, which has not only great White and Brown Shrimp but the wonderful Rock Shrimp and, even better (to me) the Royal Red Shrimp. The Royal Red is the sweetest, most tender, most flavorful shrimp I've ever had and I've made it a point to make the 2-hour driver over to Titusville as often as I can manage. Shrimp in Florida has ruined my ability to eat mediocre shrimp at chain restaurants!

The other day my wife saw an add in the Daily Sun that mentioned Royal Red Shrimp at a new restaurant called Shrimp's on the Lake down at the south end of Lake Panasoffkee. We tried it last night and it is my new "go to" location for Royal Red Shrimp. We ordered a pound of the fried shrimp (it's also prepared in several other ways) and an add-on cluster of Snow Crab legs just because it'd been quite a while since I'd had crab. The crab came well prepared, which to me means you can "snap" the legs in half and easily coax out the meet. Too many restaurants boil crab until the shell is mushy and it's just not as good.

Oh, but the shrimp! They were larger than what I'm used to from Dixie Crossroads and I feared they might be tough. No worries on that! They were lightly breaded, cooked to perfection and just as sweet and wonderful as the best I've ever had. And only a half-hour from our house instead of a two-hour drive! As I ate my last shrimp I told my wife, "This is where I want to come for my birthday meal!" That's about as high a compliment as I can give. We talked to the manager and found out they just opened about five weeks ago. He formerly ran a seafood restaurant in Daytona that was the first to offer Royal Red Shrimp in Florida. The staff we talked to were also very friendly.

Be aware that this is a pleasant, if plain little restaurant whose view of the lake is it's primary feature. The ambience is not that of the Chop House or some other higher-end restaurant. The menu is not super-extensive yet as they new and are probably figuring out what people want. However, if you are more concerned with just having the best shrimp (and very good crab) around, this is the place. We will be going back, taking friends and family for sure and will be trying other items on the menu (the seafood boil, the White Shrimp, white fish, the burgers, the shrimp or chicken Po' boys, etc.). Provided, of course, I can get myself to NOT order the Royal Red Shrimp!
Old 09-03-2021, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

Thanks for the review. We lived in Mobile, Al where you can buy shrimp right off the boat plus many restaurants that serve shrimp. I have heard of Shrimps but this was the first review I’ve seen. We were excited to be back gown close to the gulf and had high hopes of finding a good shrimp restaurant. So far, we’ve been somewhat disappointed. We will have to make a trip out there.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:00 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Thanks for the review. Saddens me that we are allergic to shellfish! Wishing their menu had more to do with cod, flounder, etc. Maybe some day!

OMG! Just checked out some photos of the restaurant and see that it is our old favorite Harbor Lights reincarnated! So very sad to see that! Sheesh! What's the point of heading back to Fl for the winter now? lol

Last edited by njbchbum; 09-03-2021 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:18 AM
Default Thank you for your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
Full disclosure here. I love shrimp and have since being a kid in Michigan. I first ate them at Tony's Original Restaurant in Saginaw. I felt I became a more sophisticated shrimp consumer with the introduction of Red Lobster (a "real" seafood restaurant, or so I thought at the time) and later with Coconut Shrimp at the Outback chain.

Well, I was wrong. When we retired and moved to Florida, I discovered locally caught shrimp at restaurants like Sam's St. Johns Seafood in The Villages or Stumpknockers on the Square in Inverness. However, the real jewel to me was Dixie Crossroads in Titusville, which has not only great White and Brown Shrimp but the wonderful Rock Shrimp and, even better (to me) the Royal Red Shrimp. The Royal Red is the sweetest, most tender, most flavorful shrimp I've ever had and I've made it a point to make the 2-hour driver over to Titusville as often as I can manage. Shrimp in Florida has ruined my ability to eat mediocre shrimp at chain restaurants!

The other day my wife saw an add in the Daily Sun that mentioned Royal Red Shrimp at a new restaurant called Shrimp's on the Lake down at the south end of Lake Panasoffkee. We tried it last night and it is my new "go to" location for Royal Red Shrimp. We ordered a pound of the fried shrimp (it's also prepared in several other ways) and an add-on cluster of Snow Crab legs just because it'd been quite a while since I'd had crab. The crab came well prepared, which to me means you can "snap" the legs in half and easily coax out the meet. Too many restaurants boil crab until the shell is mushy and it's just not as good.

Oh, but the shrimp! They were larger than what I'm used to from Dixie Crossroads and I feared they might be tough. No worries on that! They were lightly breaded, cooked to perfection and just as sweet and wonderful as the best I've ever had. And only a half-hour from our house instead of a two-hour drive! As I ate my last shrimp I told my wife, "This is where I want to come for my birthday meal!" That's about as high a compliment as I can give. We talked to the manager and found out they just opened about five weeks ago. He formerly ran a seafood restaurant in Daytona that was the first to offer Royal Red Shrimp in Florida. The staff we talked to were also very friendly.

Be aware that this is a pleasant, if plain little restaurant whose view of the lake is it's primary feature. The ambience is not that of the Chop House or some other higher-end restaurant. The menu is not super-extensive yet as they new and are probably figuring out what people want. However, if you are more concerned with just having the best shrimp (and very good crab) around, this is the place. We will be going back, taking friends and family for sure and will be trying other items on the menu (the seafood boil, the White Shrimp, white fish, the burgers, the shrimp or chicken Po' boys, etc.). Provided, of course, I can get myself to NOT order the Royal Red Shrimp!
I just checked out their website and reviews on Tripadvisor. Sounds wonderful. What is best way to get there from TV? Do they accept credit cards?
Old 09-03-2021, 04:02 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,216 Times in 461 Posts

As an unrecovered shrimpaholic, I thank you for this!
Old 09-03-2021, 07:08 PM
Sage

For those who have been in TV for a while, this is in the location that was formerly Harbor Lights Restaurant.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:23 PM

Seems there are quite a few of us shrimp lovers here.....I can't wait to try this out, and have never even heard of big red shrimp, so excited to try. Just FYI, the Old Time Diner (and it is a little dive) in Leesburg has the BEST fried shrimp I have had in immediate area. I dont know how they do it, but it is fried and not a drop of grease!! Not even on your plate any grease marks from them. They have been perfect and I have had them 3 times now with consistency, so if you have not tried it and are craving some closer, might wanna give it a try. (and they have a weekly coupon for 1/2 off a 2nd entree with the purchase of one and 2 drinks in our daily paper.)
Old 09-03-2021, 09:19 PM
Veteran member

It sounds like a great place to try.....will head there in the next week or so. The best I've tried so far was at The Fisherman on the north side of Rt 44, probably have way to Inverness. It's been a couple of years since we've been there, but we go for the fried shrimp and sea scallop combo plate. It was absolutely wonderful. Lightly breaded and huge tender shrimp and scallops.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:04 AM
Veteran member
Smile

Guess we'll have to give this place a try since it has new owners...
Old 09-04-2021, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post

What a GREAT review. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for putting it out there.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:33 AM

Nice to read such a pleasant review. I try to be careful and not eat too much shrimp as the cholesterol can rise dangerously
Old 09-04-2021, 06:37 AM

Great review I plan to go there very soon. Watch this forum now for those never happy crowd to lambast this new restaurant .
Old 09-04-2021, 06:37 AM

You can buy Royal Reds at The Lighthouse Seafood, off 466, just east of Morse.

Seafood
Old 09-04-2021, 07:00 AM

Thank you....on my list, now. Indeed, top of the list!
john
Old 09-04-2021, 07:10 AM

If you do a little research you'll find out the cholesterol in shrimp is actually the good cholesterol not the bad.

Tags
shrimp, red, restaurant, royal, crab

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.