Sick

Sick

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 04:01 PM
Sage

I've heard of a stomach virus going around that's nasty so to assume it's food poisoning unless she's seen a dr. isn't probably the assumption to make.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Apart from sea food, mainly anything with a shell, one of the biiggest causes of stomach sickness is unwashed salad.
When abroad, salad washed in dodgy water, is the biggest cause of the gipps.
So very true. And if salad has been near dirty hands or water, washing it won't solve the risk.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I've heard of a stomach virus going around that's nasty so to assume it's food poisoning unless she's seen a dr. isn't probably the assumption to make.
So very true. When a lot of people enter our world here as they do in the high season, and when young visitors come to this lovely place to visit their grands, they bring some germs with them that we haven't been exposed to. Sometimes they make us sick. No one means to spread a cold or a stomach virus but it is done easily. This is the season of hugging.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:47 PM
Gold member

I guess I could be called hugaphobic. I am not a hugger, don't like to be hugged by anyone I don't know really really well. Unfortunately hugging and also polite handshaking have the potential to bring lots of germs with them. And yes, I wipe the shopping carts. Who really knows where a stomach bug comes come?
Old 12-26-2018, 09:27 PM

I believe we are talking about the same restaurant. Would it be a Japanese restaurant? We had a family member throw up about 2 miles from the establishment.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligma View Post
I believe we are talking about the same restaurant. Would it be a Japanese restaurant? We had a family member throw up about 2 miles from the establishment.
I have seen that after people leave the bars.🤢
Old 12-27-2018, 09:44 AM
Platinum member

This type of complaint is almost always without any merit. Just because you got acute gastroenteritis it does not remotely prove that the source was the last place you ate. Foodborne illnesses are real but they represent a tiny fraction of cases of vomiting and/or diarrhea. Additionally many foodborne illness have incubation periods of many hours or even days making it very difficult to identify the source. A visit to your doctor or a doc-in-a-box will not clarify the situation without stool testing for pathogens. Why spend the money on that unless you are extremely ill, passing blood, high fevers, recent out of the country exposure, raw milk, contact with raw or undercooked foods, or other recognized epidemiological risk factors.

Even foodborne pathogens are more commonly spread by hand to hand contact, or actually fecal-oral mechanisms. That is why when there is a norovirus outbreak on a ship they don't throw out all the food, they enforce handwashing and sterilize surfaces. Even the situation where a group all eats the same food and all become sick is not proof of a foodborne illness as they all likely touched each other as well. Contact the health department which has epidemiologists to perform proper investigations for guidance if you are convinced that you or a family member has been made ill from a restaurant meal.
I was a stranger and you WELCOMED ME : Matt 25:35, real Christianity
Old 12-27-2018, 10:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligma View Post
Perhaps too much sake? Sick

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2018, 10:29 AM
Soaring Parsley

While I agree that trying to prove food poisoning would be rather silly, not to mention really disgusting, and even though I had no intention of pursuing proof, I did call the restaurant managers — for the possible good of the herd.

In my earlier post, where I regaled readers with 3 of my food poisoning experiences, I talked about the one at the resort:

It was a business trip.

The entire group was seated for a fancy dinner.

The fish course had just been served.

I remember the lovely presentation had a tiny purple flower on the plate.

Then, like it had been choreographed, one-by-one, people got up and fled from the room.

We all had plane tickets for the next day. Fortunately this was way back when tickets could be easily changed. (We had doctors running for the door with us so the medical excuses were easy to get.)

It is pretty awful for two people in a hotel room to have food poisoning.

But what would have been a whole lot worse would be to have food poisoning hit on a plane so I considered the timing lucky, a silver lining. (Even “”Snakes on a Plane” would be better.)

Common Denominator: A beautifully served, sunny poolside, brunch buffet, earlier that day.

(The resort said that we all had the flu. Nobody bothered to argue about it. We were all just glad to make it back to our rooms in time, in a relatively dignified manner.)

(Oh my goodness, please forgive me, any readers, for writing such unseemly posts about bodily functions.)

Last edited by Boomer; 12-27-2018 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-27-2018, 10:53 AM
Sage

I've been told that the food handler is the cause and we all know the effect. I'm sure it's not always the case, but the employees hand washing sign in restrooms should not be ignored.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
sick, restaurant, due, won’t, dining