Sick

Closed Thread
Old 12-26-2018, 10:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligma View Post
I believe we are talking about the same restaurant. Would it be a Japanese restaurant? We had a family member throw up about 2 miles from the establishment.
I have seen that after people leave the bars.🤢
Old 12-27-2018, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

This type of complaint is almost always without any merit. Just because you got acute gastroenteritis it does not remotely prove that the source was the last place you ate. Foodborne illnesses are real but they represent a tiny fraction of cases of vomiting and/or diarrhea. Additionally many foodborne illness have incubation periods of many hours or even days making it very difficult to identify the source. A visit to your doctor or a doc-in-a-box will not clarify the situation without stool testing for pathogens. Why spend the money on that unless you are extremely ill, passing blood, high fevers, recent out of the country exposure, raw milk, contact with raw or undercooked foods, or other recognized epidemiological risk factors.

Even foodborne pathogens are more commonly spread by hand to hand contact, or actually fecal-oral mechanisms. That is why when there is a norovirus outbreak on a ship they don't throw out all the food, they enforce handwashing and sterilize surfaces. Even the situation where a group all eats the same food and all become sick is not proof of a foodborne illness as they all likely touched each other as well. Contact the health department which has epidemiologists to perform proper investigations for guidance if you are convinced that you or a family member has been made ill from a restaurant meal.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligma View Post
I believe we are talking about the same restaurant. Would it be a Japanese restaurant? We had a family member throw up about 2 miles from the establishment.
Perhaps too much sake? [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2018, 10:29 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

While I agree that trying to prove food poisoning would be rather silly, not to mention really disgusting, and even though I had no intention of pursuing proof, I did call the restaurant managers — for the possible good of the herd.

In my earlier post, where I regaled readers with 3 of my food poisoning experiences, I talked about the one at the resort:

It was a business trip.

The entire group was seated for a fancy dinner.

The fish course had just been served.

I remember the lovely presentation had a tiny purple flower on the plate.

Then, like it had been choreographed, one-by-one, people got up and fled from the room.

We all had plane tickets for the next day. Fortunately this was way back when tickets could be easily changed. (We had doctors running for the door with us so the medical excuses were easy to get.)

It is pretty awful for two people in a hotel room to have food poisoning.

But what would have been a whole lot worse would be to have food poisoning hit on a plane so I considered the timing lucky, a silver lining. (Even “”Snakes on a Plane” would be better.)

Common Denominator: A beautifully served, sunny poolside, brunch buffet, earlier that day.

(The resort said that we all had the flu. Nobody bothered to argue about it. We were all just glad to make it back to our rooms in time, in a relatively dignified manner.)

(Oh my goodness, please forgive me, any readers, for writing such unseemly posts about bodily functions.)

Last edited by Boomer; 12-27-2018 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-27-2018, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I've been told that the food handler is the cause and we all know the effect. I'm sure it's not always the case, but the employees hand washing sign in restrooms should not be ignored.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2018, 02:24 PM
Sage

Several years ago we were traveling with a group that one by one caught some kind of intestinal thing. Some were sick on the plane going to our destination and others there or on the way back. I caught it but it waited til we were "just" home. I had to drive my Mother In Law (who'd gone on the trip with us) to a town about 90 miles from our house. I had to stop at every exit on the Freeway...it was a nasty virus that only affected the lower g.i. system. I guess "Air-born" is what caused it.....

One other time we were traveling and stopped for lunch. It was a place that served great pies (my favorite dessert) and I had the banana cream. When we got home I was sicker than a dog (as the expression goes). I couldn't truly be sure if it was the pie OR if I had a "bug" and it was just a coincidence. The 1st experience took me several days to get it but the 2nd incident was only a few hours.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Aren't you supposed to notify the health department about suspected food poisoning?
Old 12-31-2018, 11:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Virus can be pass through tainted food, the one meal was only thing different between us, wasn't food poisoning, nor cheese, or the Japanese restaurant, but in the same playing area. I got sick also after I thought the wife wasn't carrying and got too close. It started with soar thoart, headaches, fever, ended with soar throat. Lasted about week. I alway like to post ending results. Do I think for sure it was 100%? No. But IMO pretty good odds it was.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Virus can be pass through tainted food, the one meal was only thing different between us, wasn't food poisoning, nor cheese, or the Japanese restaurant, but in the same playing area. I got sick also after I thought the wife wasn't carrying and got too close. It started with soar thoart, headaches, fever, ended with soar throat. Lasted about week. I alway like to post ending results. Do I think for sure it was 100%? No. But IMO pretty good odds it was.
If it were a virus spread via the food, then there would be many reports of people getting sick that day from eating that particular menu item.

It's much more likely that you contracted the virus a week or two prior at the supermarket, or the gas station, or a rest room in a store or restaurant, and it took a week or two to manifest symptoms. That's USUALLY how virii work. It's an uncommon virus that makes you sick within a day of exposure.
Closed Thread

Tags
sick, restaurant, due, won’t, dining

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.