smoking in restaurant patios

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2019, 07:05 PM
Default smoking in restaurant patios

We just moved to The Villages and love it here...the weather is wonderful and we love eating outside and enjoying the fresh air...UNTIL we smell SMOKE.... How is it possible that the restaurants don't have a non-smoking section in their outdoor eating area? Most states have a law against smoking in restaurants. Isn't the outside patio/eating area part of the restaurant?
Old 04-07-2019, 07:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctreick View Post
We just moved to The Villages and love it here...the weather is wonderful and we love eating outside and enjoying the fresh air...UNTIL we smell SMOKE.... How is it possible that the restaurants don't have a non-smoking section in their outdoor eating area? Most states have a law against smoking in restaurants. Isn't the outside patio/eating area part of the restaurant?
I don't have an answer to that, but I will say that people walking past the outdoor area, on the sidewalk, are not prohibited from smoking. So, if you didn't actually notice anyone inside the patio area smoking, it might just be someone outside it, walking by (or loitering near).
Old 04-07-2019, 07:59 PM

definitely smoking inside the patio area!
Old 04-07-2019, 08:15 PM
Veteran member

wait till you have someone feeding their dog next to where your eating, really sick
Old 04-07-2019, 09:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

The area where I lived up north banned smoking at outdoor venues that served food. Any seat that was vacated by smokers that stopped going was quickly taken up by people who wouldn't go there because of the smoke. The same would happen here. It's about time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2019, 09:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
The area where I lived up north banned smoking at outdoor venues that served food. Any seat that was vacated by smokers that stopped going was quickly taken up by people who wouldn't go there because of the smoke. The same would happen here. It's about time.

I'm an ex-smoker. I'd definitely not enjoy sitting outside at a restaurant patio while someone is blowing smoke near me. I never enjoyed that even when I was a smoker! But now I'm more sensitive to it.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:31 PM
Gold member

I am more bothered by the overuse of perfume. It seems wherever I go, shopping,eating out, grocery store etc.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:50 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

The restaurant/bars here need alcohol sales to meet profit goals. Many heavy drinkers would not sit and buy drinks for hours without a smoke. I can gag through a cigarette, but as I live and breath, (no pun intended), I cannot comprehend where the mind of anyone can be that fires up a cigar. Cigars are nasty and offensive.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:08 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
The restaurant/bars here need alcohol sales to meet profit goals. Many heavy drinkers would not sit and buy drinks for hours without a smoke. I can gag through a cigarette, but as I live and breath, (no pun intended), I cannot comprehend where the mind of anyone can be that fires up a cigar. Cigars are nasty and offensive.

There are all types.............I can't stand cigarette smoke, but I enjoy the smell of pipes and cigars.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:57 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Ask a simple question and get a ton of unrelated tales of woe...ask the restaurant manager...having a non smoking outside section won't help if the wind is coming from the wrong direction...
Old 04-08-2019, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctreick View Post
No. An outdoor area (like the bar at Cody's, for example) you are allowed to smoke. Mind-boggling, but it's the way the law is written.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

People should not have to be assaulted with second-hand cigarette smoke, from inside or outside...while they eat.

While I'm all for 'individual rights,' your right to smoke ends...when it adversely affects 'the rights' of others.

It really IS...as simple as that.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post

It's been my personal experience, that a lot of cigar smokers know exactly how "nasty & offensive" their actions are, but instead of it making them pause about what they're doing...it is actually the impetus for them to do it.

Might as well hang a sign around their necks that says... "Of course I know it bothers/offends you...why do you think I do it?"
Old 04-08-2019, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

It's been my personal experience, that a lot of cigar smokers know exactly how "nasty & offensive" their actions are, but instead of it making them pause about what they're doing...it is actually the impetus for them to do it.

Might as well hang a sign around their necks that says... "Of course I know it bothers/offends you...why do you think I do it?"
And they smoke the cheapest smelliest cigars.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Im non smoker at the restaurant outside bars the seat are always full of smokers
Hence i don't patronize these establishments
Why would they change their smoking policy seats are full open to close?.
Im sure someday their will be a legal action like asbestos laws suits.
Have you ever dined out side and have been exposed to second hand smoke
Call the offices of Dan Newlin

Tags
love, restaurants, smoking, area, restaurant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.