smoking in restaurant patios

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2019, 12:50 PM
Platinum member
Default No Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I would suggest any legal measure to anybody who subjected others unwillingly to something that endangers their health. It may be "their" property, but it's others' air space when it reaches them.
I totally disagree. I do not smoke, but I have a few (emphasis on few) friends and relatives that do. When they are on MY property (do not smoke inside or my car) and smoke on the lanai, that should not be anyone else's business. I paid for this property and should not be told any such thing about my guests and my lanai. If their smoke drifts to another's lanai, then those people have several options (asking my guests to snuff out not being one of them): They can go indoors at their home until the smoker is done, they can go to the front porch, they can install shades/windows on their lanai, or they can figure out how to change the direction the wind blows.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 07-03-2019, 12:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
If a neighbor was "bothered" by an "offending" neighbor's smoking - why would it not be the responsibility of the offended to protect their personal air space and remedy their personal situation rather than attack the right of the smoker to live their own life in their own home? What is the degree of endangerment from second hand smoke after it has dissipated en route from one home to another?

How should a person with a respiratory ailment respond to the individual who enters their air space reeking of some fragrance that causes a violent coughing/breathing spell for the sufferer? Should the stinky person be made to leave or should the afflicted individual who was there first have to leave?
Good points.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
Old 07-03-2019, 01:39 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
I totally disagree. I do not smoke, but I have a few (emphasis on few) friends and relatives that do. When they are on MY property (do not smoke inside or my car) and smoke on the lanai, that should not be anyone else's business. I paid for this property and should not be told any such thing about my guests and my lanai. If their smoke drifts to another's lanai, then those people have several options (asking my guests to snuff out not being one of them): They can go indoors at their home until the smoker is done, they can go to the front porch, they can install shades/windows on their lanai, or they can figure out how to change the direction the wind blows.
So, I assume you'd have no problem if your neighbor began burning wood and trash with a fan blowing the smoke at your lanai, right? After all, it's his property.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,619 Times in 5,198 Posts

I'm sure that the restaurant owner walks by the outside patio, sees all the heavy drinkers and smokers, takes a deep breath, and says, "smells like money to me".
Old 07-03-2019, 02:08 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I'm sure that the restaurant owner walks by the outside patio, sees all the heavy drinkers and smokers, takes a deep breath, and says, "smells like money to me".
As I understand it these establishments make far more money on booze than on food. Many smokers tend to also be heavy drinkers so they want to keep them happy which is usually at the expense of the non smokers who typically drink far less.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-03-2019, 04:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
So, I assume you'd have no problem if your neighbor began burning wood and trash with a fan blowing the smoke at your lanai, right? After all, it's his property.
Guess the fan part was added so that argument would kinda sorta seem to make a tiny bit of sense to somebody.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Guess the fan part was added so that argument would kinda sorta seem to make a tiny bit of sense to somebody.
It does suggest a potential remedy though. If someone is smoking a cigar and the direction of the wind sends it to my lanai, I could always turn the fan on pointing it right back at them. I could even get a fan and long extension cord and put the fan right on my side of the property line.

That would solve the problem wouldn't it? It'd blow their cigar smoke back to their own property and keep it away from me.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
It does suggest a potential remedy though. If someone is smoking a cigar and the direction of the wind sends it to my lanai, I could always turn the fan on pointing it right back at them. I could even get a fan and long extension cord and put the fan right on my side of the property line.

That would solve the problem wouldn't it? It'd blow their cigar smoke back to their own property and keep it away from me.
Or you could talk to your neighbor and ask them not to smoke when you are in your lanai. Just thinking that would probably be better for the neighbor relationship thing?
Old 07-03-2019, 10:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Or you could talk to your neighbor and ask them not to smoke when you are in your lanai. Just thinking that would probably be better for the neighbor relationship thing?
Why? He has the right to smoke on his own property any time he likes. I shouldn't be asking him to refrain from doing what he has every right to do. Just because *I* can't stand cigar smoke and it makes me wheeze, doesn't give me the right to impose my needs on my neighbor.

But obviously he has no problem with cigar smoke near his face since he's the one doing the smoking. So again - problem solved. He can smoke, and have all the smoke, and I can be smoke-free.
All it takes is a fan.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post

Excellent idea. If only others would make the attempt to find a solution, they would find more satisfaction and happiness.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:25 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Smoking is a nasty habit.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:09 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
Smoking is a nasty habit.
And an extremely unhealthy one as it significantly reduces quality of life and lifetime, for those breathing environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) as well as the smokers.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-04-2019, 09:41 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
As long as he is not about to endanger the neighborhood with his burning, no. My lanai door give me access to the inside, just as it does to the outside. I will not die if I don't get to sit on my lanai. Sitting outside is not #1 on my list of priorities. I doubt that the neighbor would be burning stuff 24/7/365. Some people are offended (seems to be the norm these days "offended') by the smoke from some people's grills. Does that mean they should stop grilling and just go out to eat or eat something else? Don't think so.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
Old 07-04-2019, 06:12 PM

As far as I'm concerned anywhere food is served it should be no smoking. We usually go to The Villages country clubs where smoking is not allowed at the outdoor patio and bar.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
There are all types.............I can't stand cigarette smoke, but I enjoy the smell of pipes and cigars.

Same here.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Closed Thread

Tags
love, restaurants, smoking, area, restaurant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.