Looking for Dim Sum

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2019, 03:22 PM
Sage
Default Looking for Dim Sum

Wife expressed a yen for some Dim Sum, prefer Hong Kong style -were the Dim Sum is paraded around in carts & the servers punch your card, for the final tally-- will drive a hundred miles for a good place
Old 08-08-2019, 03:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

The closest I know of is Yummy House in Ocala on weekend afternoons. We have gone a few times and have enjoyed the food. NYC Chinatown? No, but it is flavorful. I believe there is a Chinese area in Orlando, but I have not been there.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:36 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Been to "chinatown" in Orlando. More Viet than China but a great oriental food market. But I'm afraid no dim sum like you want. Best we ever had was in San Francisco at Imperial Garden.You know you found the mother load when you're the only Caucasians in the place. Can anyone from the Villages Gourmet Club shine some light on this?
Old 08-08-2019, 08:08 PM
Gold member

After reading this thread and posting, I decided to do some online research myself. I stand corrected regarding the Colonial Drive "chinatown" area. Peter's China Bistro gets high marks for Dim Sum served from 11 AM to 3 PM. You can get directions on line but it's about 45 minutes from 466A.

Another high marks place that's closer appears to be Yummy House off I 75 and College Ave in Ocala. You need to call to find out when they're serving Dim Sum.

We've not been to either place but we'll make a trip soon.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
The closest I know of is Yummy House in Ocala on weekend afternoons. We have gone a few times and have enjoyed the food. NYC Chinatown? No, but it is flavorful. I believe there is a Chinese area in Orlando, but I have not been there.
I second Yummy House in Ocala.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,009 Times in 451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post

Another high marks place that's closer appears to be Yummy House off I 75 and College Ave in Ocala. You need to call to find out when they're serving Dim Sum.

From their website... "Dim Sum is available during lunch hours (11:00am - 2:30pm) at Yummy House"

Dim Sum Menu
Old 08-09-2019, 09:25 AM
Sage

Hey Aloha- we too had a great Dim Sum experience in frisco about 20 years ago--we were walking and asked a Chinese woman ," were is the best Dim Sum" she said, "follow me"-- we did all we could to keep up with her pace , she pointed at a store front and kept on walking--we walked past the store from and saw a couple of Chinese men sitting out front of their business-we asked where's the best Dim Sum" they said " you just walked past it

As we were eating in the restaurant, enjoying our Dim Sum selections-there were two teenager sitting in the back, a third entered and said,"I got a newspaper" the group started devouring the contents of the paper--their enthusiasm for news and content was so enlightening- we said," these kids are going to make it big !!
Old 08-09-2019, 02:13 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Bamboo Bistro has some dim sum but it's just mediocre. The best I have found in Florida is a place called Pho Dim Sum in Jacksonville. It is a couple miles more than a 100, maybe 125.

So do double duty and go to Pho for lunch and than go to the Moshi or Cummer museum and than have dinner at Matthews a really great restaurant there. Go on a Monday and their wine list is half price for all bottles under $250. And they have some really great wines.

Jacksonville has a LOT of really good places to eat for a small city. We go up there every 2 or 3 months for nice places to eat. Be glad to give anyone a list as I can name 25 or 30 places worth the trip.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
From their website... "Dim Sum is available during lunch hours (11:00am - 2:30pm) at Yummy House"

Dim Sum Menu
Weekends only
Old 08-09-2019, 02:46 PM
Sage

We spent a winter at Ortega Rive Marina, in Jacksonville when we lived on board our boat-most memorable was- On 9/11/2001- I was walking towards the marina office and all the load speakers were commenting about a plane hitting the world trade center in NYc- went back to our boat woke my wife & told her to put the tv on in the master stateroom--nuff said--a few days later we were privileged to attend the Navy anniversary @ NAS JAX--I no longer had any dinner dress, but we dressed, OK the CO of the base said" To those about to go into harms way God Speed"--my wife shed a few tears- as an old war horse I was also moved

This pos t was in to reference to Jacksonville-- so sorry my computer skills are nil
Old 08-09-2019, 08:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
We spent a winter at Ortega Rive Marina, in Jacksonville when we lived on board our boat-most memorable was- On 9/11/2001- I was walking towards the marina office and all the load speakers were commenting about a plane hitting the world trade center in NYc- went back to our boat woke my wife & told her to put the tv on in the master stateroom--nuff said--a few days later we were privileged to attend the Navy anniversary @ NAS JAX--I no longer had any dinner dress, but we dressed, OK the CO of the base said" To those about to go into harms way God Speed"--my wife shed a few tears- as an old war horse I was also moved

This pos t was in to reference to Jacksonville-- so sorry my computer skills are nil
Well put, Chat, and thanks for your service. Our generation has had too many seminal events where we can remember in an instant exactly where we were. JFK, attempt on Reagan, the moon landing, and 9/11 to name a few. I used to pray that my Grandchildren would not have to face so many but the more I deal with the so-called millennial generation, the more I think they need a wakeup call.

Mods, sorry for the off topic post. Now back to Dim Sum.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:39 PM
Default Orlando Area Possibility

Leaving our Russian dinner this evening in Winter Park we passed the Hotto Potto Restaurant which had a significant number of cars outside. What the heck is Hotto Potto? I asked Google assistant on my Android and the description given is: "Chinese eatery and dim sum spot specializing in hot pots served table side with homemade sauces." Have not researched further.
Closed Thread

Tags
sum, dim, card, final, punch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.