smoking in restaurant patios

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2019, 06:37 AM

I believe that the Bonifay Country Club group of restaurants do not allow smoking outside including the patio and outside bar. I saw a no smoking sign the other day when I was walking through the breezeway. They own many restaurants.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:33 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I am an ex smoker, and longtime dog owner.
Wife and I just do not eat in any establishment, that allows any smoking, or dogs on any part of the premises.
The only exemption with dogs we agree with, is guide dogs for the blind, and medical emergency trained dogs.
Those animals know how to behave and act in public places.
I like your post - And your attitude.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Daily Run View Post
I believe that the Bonifay Country Club group of restaurants do not allow smoking outside including the patio and outside bar. I saw a no smoking sign the other day when I was walking through the breezeway. They own many restaurants.
Went to their website, and they seemed very health conscious about the food but no mention of a smoking policy. I hope that's true; it could inspire other proprietors to follow.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2019, 10:24 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Hmmm....now let me understand...some folks will sit on an outside patio eating food that might not be best for them and drinking alcoholic beverages that aren't necessarily good for them...while autos and trucks drive by reeking gas and/or diesel exhaust...and they are upset by wafting cigarette smoke?

Old 04-20-2019, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Hmmm....now let me understand...some folks will sit on an outside patio eating food that might not be best for them and drinking alcoholic beverages that aren't necessarily good for them...while autos and trucks drive by reeking gas and/or diesel exhaust...and they are upset by wafting cigarette smoke?
I guess they're picking their poison! I often wonder about joggers sucking up exhaust on busy streets.

I don't care for the smell of cigarette smoke. Dogs don't bother me. (Obviously, although we rarely take ours because grande latte.)
Old 04-20-2019, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post

Well, ya just gotta draw the line somewhere.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:05 PM

I was at Americanos restaurant the other day and discovered they allow smoking in the patio area. Don't like it!
Old 04-20-2019, 04:46 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Florida smoking laws are pretty liberal. On the other hand, overall a conservative State. While in the bluegrass State a few months ago, we had breakfast at a Waffle House and a guy pulled out a cigarette in the booth next to ours and fired it up just as we started to leave. I ask the lady taking my $20 if smoking was allowed and she said yes the county had voted it okay but not many restaurants allowed it. Humm...
Old 04-20-2019, 05:47 PM

Can Sumter County have their own regulations as to forbidding outdoor restaurant smoking with fines attached?
If so, who should we all contact?
Old 04-21-2019, 07:12 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Who doesn't like their food smoked?
Old 04-21-2019, 10:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

In this day and age one would think the entire square would be smoke free with 2-3 designated areas for smokers to go. I realize down south smoking might be regulated different than other areas of the USA.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:44 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

As a libertarian, I have no problem if someone wants to commit slow suicide by smoking. HOWEVER, my tolerance stops when they want me to go along for the ride. There should be no smoking within 25 feet of any establishment selling food, whether inside or outside. There are two ways to make this happen. One, by contacting the owners of the CC's and other restaurants that currently allow smoking on the patios, and two, getting a measure before the Florida legislature to ban smoking in or around restaurants. And for the record, I'm an ex smoker who came to his senses.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:48 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Or let the Free-Market work.

Let owners decide their smoking policies.

Let the people with the money determine where they go.

If people don't want to be in a smoke environment, the money won't go.

If money doesn't go, the location will not survive.

Free-Market without regulations.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:03 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygirl View Post
I was at Americanos restaurant the other day and discovered they allow smoking in the patio area. Don't like it!
That's the reason I don't go there
Old 04-22-2019, 06:45 AM

We would love to sit outside on a smoke-free patio. I think those of us who would like that need to tell the managers of all the restaurants we frequent (and probably tell them over and over again) that we'd like smoke-free patios. We also need to tell our legislators and the powers that be in The Villages. When restaurants were required to go smoke-free inside and out in Colorado, our previous home, restaurants saw an increase in business rather than the drop they expected.
Closed Thread

Tags
love, restaurants, smoking, area, restaurant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.