smoking in restaurant patios

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2019, 07:51 AM

No it isn’t someone walking by. I know City Fire and Gators allow smoking on the patio😳
Old 04-22-2019, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablyttle View Post
We would love to sit outside on a smoke-free patio. I think those of us who would like that need to tell the managers of all the restaurants we frequent (and probably tell them over and over again) that we'd like smoke-free patios. We also need to tell our legislators and the powers that be in The Villages. When restaurants were required to go smoke-free inside and out in Colorado, our previous home, restaurants saw an increase in business rather than the drop they expected.
Same thing happened in Illinois. The smokers' empty seats were quickly filled.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2019, 08:42 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts
Default Ideal world

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Or let the Free-Market work.

Let owners decide their smoking policies.

Let the people with the money determine where they go.

If people don't want to be in a smoke environment, the money won't go.

If money doesn't go, the location will not survive.

Free-Market without regulations.
What about the Servers who would have to work there or find another job? As I remember, it was the airline attendants that were the first employees to get the ball rolling regarding second hand smoke. I’m not a big fan of government regulation and many times there is a “gray area” as when to support or not support government regulation authority. When it was found that smoking was a public health issue, government regulation kicked in. Public health is a legitimate area for regulation IMHO. Health Inspectors that find poor sanitary restaurant conditions (roaches, improper food storage, etc.) are a good thing too. We regulate seatbelt use but not motorcycle helmets and the list could go on and on.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Or let the Free-Market work.
Let owners decide their smoking policies.
Let the people with the money determine where they go.
If people don't want to be in a smoke environment, the money won't go.
If money doesn't go, the location will not survive.
Free-Market without regulations.
Agree ............ it was not that many years ago that smoking everywhere was socially accepted as the norm. Smokers were driven out of the interior of restaurants and bars onto outside areas. Now the non-smokers want to sit where the smokers sit. You cannot have it both ways.

You are never going to make smokers quit by passing laws, the only way smokers quit is because they finally get the message that they are shortening their lives and they suddenly find out they want to live.

For the record we were heavy smokers and I now hate to smell smoke anywhere around me, but I still feel that you cannot legislate people to stop smoking. If we are somewhere where we can smell smoke, we get up and leave. I suppose we could build a penal colony on the moon and send them all up there

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-22-2019, 07:18 PM

I'm not a smoker and I hate to smell it. That said, as people are unable by law to smoke inside, the outside seating is where they can eat. Try sitting outside to eat in Europe...…..smoke everywhere!
Old 04-22-2019, 07:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
What about the Servers who would have to work there or find another job? As I remember, it was the airline attendants that were the first employees to get the ball rolling regarding second hand smoke. I’m not a big fan of government regulation and many times there is a “gray area” as when to support or not support government regulation authority. When it was found that smoking was a public health issue, government regulation kicked in. Public health is a legitimate area for regulation IMHO. Health Inspectors that find poor sanitary restaurant conditions (roaches, improper food storage, etc.) are a good thing too. We regulate seatbelt use but not motorcycle helmets and the list could go on and on.

Good points...and post.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:50 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Yes, the health consequences of flight attendants breathing environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) back in the day were terrible.

I supported this organization, ASH, from its founding by John Banzhaf who eventually became a law professor at GW. The CAB adopted a rule proposed by ASH which initiated the airline smoking regulations. Here is a short history of ASH's achievements.

https://2bark924ef5o2dk1z21reqtf-wpe...y-768x1920.png

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 04-22-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:48 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:

I remember this argument, but if "Free-Market" was allowed to happen............there could have been smoke-free flights and smoking flights. Same point, would the money support separate flights??? Would have been interesting, but I doubt if smoking flights would have survived.

I think smoking and smoke-free eating/drinking places can survive.

Was up at Sumter last night looking at Mustangs.............smelled a few good cigars up there.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:49 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
In this day and age one would think the entire square would be smoke free with 2-3 designated areas for smokers to go. I realize down south smoking might be regulated different than other areas of the USA.
Would you expect those 'designated areas' to change during the evening according to which way the wind blows?

Old 04-23-2019, 10:18 AM
Platinum member
Default Ex-Smoker

Yes, I am an ex-smoker. I always tried to be considerate about it, though. Others smoking does not bother me as long as it does not occur in my house or car. My pet peeve when I was a smoker were the non-smokers who would come to the smoking section and then complain about the smokers; "Well, this is where I like to sit and I can't stand cigarette smoke." Tough! When our group of ladies would go somewhere to golf for a few days, my van was the no-smoking vehicle. If a smoker had to ride with us because of space constraints in the other vehicles, I would occasionally pull into a rest stop so they could get out and smoke. The rest of us would just get out and stretch our legs.

With as many places as there are, why should all smoking be banned EVERWHERE? Simply frequent the places that don't allow it. Someone mentioned their rights, but smokers have rights, too. Personally, I could not afford to still smoke, but I guess that's how some like to spend their money. I am just glad I chose to quit and how much better I felt when I did. When I was smoking, I thought everyone got up with a headache every morning, not just me.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 04-23-2019, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
Yes, I am an ex-smoker. I always tried to be considerate about it, though. Others smoking does not bother me as long as it does not occur in my house or car. My pet peeve when I was a smoker were the non-smokers who would come to the smoking section and then complain about the smokers; "Well, this is where I like to sit and I can't stand cigarette smoke." Tough! When our group of ladies would go somewhere to golf for a few days, my van was the no-smoking vehicle. If a smoker had to ride with us because of space constraints in the other vehicles, I would occasionally pull into a rest stop so they could get out and smoke. The rest of us would just get out and stretch our legs.

With as many places as there are, why should all smoking be banned EVERWHERE? Simply frequent the places that don't allow it. Someone mentioned their rights, but smokers have rights, too. Personally, I could not afford to still smoke, but I guess that's how some like to spend their money. I am just glad I chose to quit and how much better I felt when I did. When I was smoking, I thought everyone got up with a headache every morning, not just me.
I too, long ago...used to smoke.

Even back then though, I realized that 'my right to smoke'...ended at others right 'not to have to smell my smoke.'

The ironic part was, that I still always chose a non-smoking area in a restaurant, because even I didn't like having smoke in my face...while I was eating.

I'm also a strong advocate of high taxes on smokes.

I think it's been proved, that the higher cost has resulted in a lot fewer younger people...starting and getting hooked on smoking.

As for the new 'fad' of vaping, I can see both sides of the argument.

While we still don't know the long term effects of vaping, surely it can't be as bad as the nicotine and other 'proprietary ingredients'...which could be even MORE harmful than the nicotine in the long term.

Unfortunately, the fact that there are so many 'flavors' available for vaping and it's considered 'cool' (in some crowds) like cigarettes once were, I'm afraid it's a lure for those that might not otherwise do cigarettes at all...but will try vaping.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 04-23-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post

I like your post Dilywho .... and I totally agree with it. I am very much of the "live and let live", if people want or need to smoke then so be it, the law has given non-smokers plenty of smoke free areas to enjoy their life.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-23-2019, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Visited Florida every year and was amazed during a 2004 visit to Del Ray Beach that Florida had banned smoking inside at restaurants. Even though the restsurants allowed patio bar smoking I thought that the law was a step in the right direction. Fifteen years later it's still where it was. It's obvious that individual municipalities and businesses will have to be the ones to prohibit smoking in outdoor patios and bars where food is served.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2019, 02:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Visited Florida every year and was amazed during a 2004 visit to Del Ray Beach that Florida had banned smoking inside at restaurants. Even though the restsurants allowed patio bar smoking I thought that the law was a step in the right direction. Fifteen years later it's still where it was. It's obvious that individual municipalities and businesses will have to be the ones to prohibit smoking in outdoor patios and bars where food is served.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I may be very wrong, but I think smokers are more inclined to be drinkers which brings in a lot of money in the restaurant business. I cannot see many proprietors of food establishments banning smoking on the patios when people are spending money on food and drink.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

I never smoked. Tried to start smoking several times. I even signed up for one of those start smoking programs, but it didn't work.
Closed Thread

Tags
love, restaurants, smoking, area, restaurant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.