Sonny's Barbeque

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Sage
Arrow hmmmmmm......

OK, the Buc stops here! Why are you all "grillin' " him?

Never mind, I'm just being silly. But, I hate to say it Buc, if you haven't had barbeque in New Orleans, you haven't had Barbeque. Or Carson's ribs in Chicago.

I heard Sonny's was very good and I'm looking to forward it it. Mel's right, no apology necessary. We all have favorites in other locations, I'm sure.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Veteran member

I'm a big Sonny's fan ever since I first stopped at one in 1992. My favorite Sonny's was on Irlo Bronson/US192 in Kissimmee. But that one is closed now

Last trip to Florida we ate at the Sonny's in Haines City on Rte 27 South of I-4. The first thing I noticed was there was no smokey smell in the air. And the BBQ was not up to standard. Has Sonny's centralized the BBQ processing and started delivering prepared product to it's locations?

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed anything different about the quality/consistancy of Sonny's BBQ.

Just over a week and we'll be eating at Sonny's in Belleview.

"Live life while you're alive, because when you're dead, you're dead a long time".- Roland Michael Curtis
Old 02-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirigo View Post
I'm a big Sonny's fan ever since I first stopped at one in 1992. My favorite Sonny's was on Irlo Bronson/US192 in Kissimmee. But that one is closed now

Last trip to Florida we ate at the Sonny's in Haines City on Rte 27 South of I-4. The first thing I noticed was there was no smokey smell in the air. And the BBQ was not up to standard. Has Sonny's centralized the BBQ processing and started delivering prepared product to it's locations?

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed anything different about the quality/consistancy of Sonny's BBQ.

Just over a week and we'll be eating at Sonny's in Belleview.
good question

why not ask them when you at the Belleview store

Old 02-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelZ View Post
good question

I will and I'll post their reply when I get back from our Lifestyle Preview.

"Live life while you're alive, because when you're dead, you're dead a long time".- Roland Michael Curtis
Old 02-16-2009, 01:28 PM

Diringo, I can tell you from personal experience that the Belleview Sonny's definitely smokes their own products. We eat there at least once a week, and there are times you can smell the smoke before you even get to the restaurant. I can't say I ever remember the strong smoke smell inside the restaurant, but the I guess that's what vents and exhaust fans are for. Sometimes it's smokier than others, but we've never had a complaint.

Hubby and I are in a real rut. For years, we've ordered the same thing. We each get the "Big Deal" with the sliced pork on garlic toast. He gets the baked beans and I get the cole slaw, then we split those sides. We also split a half order of the onion rings. Of course, sweet tea is included in the price, so we spend just over $20 (including a nice tip) for an incredible meal for two. Occasionally, we'll break with tradition, walk on the wild side, and order ribs or chicken.

We're addicted!
Old 02-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinco View Post
Diringo, I can tell you from personal experience that the Belleview Sonny's definitely smokes their own products. We eat there at least once a week, and there are times you can smell the smoke before you even get to the restaurant. I can't say I ever remember the strong smoke smell inside the restaurant, but the I guess that's what vents and exhaust fans are for. Sometimes it's smokier than others, but we've never had a complaint.

Hubby and I are in a real rut. For years, we've ordered the same thing. We each get the "Big Deal" with the sliced pork on garlic toast. He gets the baked beans and I get the cole slaw, then we split those sides. We also split a half order of the onion rings. Of course, sweet tea is included in the price, so we spend just over $20 (including a nice tip) for an incredible meal for two. Occasionally, we'll break with tradition, walk on the wild side, and order ribs or chicken.

We're addicted!
I'm getting hungry! I can smell that smoker already!

Only once or twice have I broken out of my rut at Sonny's. I used to go for the chicken with all the sides. When I first discovered Sonny's in 1992 you could get the all-you-can-eat chicken with a bowl of beans, slaw, fries, and garlic toast for $3.99, and if you had a coupon you could get a free drink.

Now that I am older, I usually get the salad bar instead of he sides (except for the beans).

I could eat, and have eaten, there twice a week. My wife is not as big a fan, but she does like it.

Dirigo

Old 02-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Veteran member

Has anyone tried The Backyard Boys BBQ in Mt. Dora? It's become our favorite.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Veteran member

Last trip to TV I had the chopped brisket with garlic toast, they baked beans and onion rings on the side the whole was excellent. My wife (who is non a BBQ fan) had the pulled chicken and actually enjoyed it.

Damn I'm getting hungry
Old 03-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelZ View Post
good question

I did ask when we ate at the Belleview Sonny's last week while on our LSP. They do "smoke their own" in Belleview. Our server couldn't speak for the other stores or for the company as a whole.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirigo View Post
I did ask when we ate at the Belleview Sonny's last week while on our LSP. They do "smoke their own" in Belleview. Our server couldn't speak for the other stores or for the company as a whole.
Thanks for the followup and letting us know.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Send a message via AIM to Grill Meister Send a message via Yahoo to Grill Meister
Thumbs down Universally Recognized?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncle View Post
Where ya been VK? Yes, it is true. According to today's paper, they will start kitchen retrofit "soon."

I guess this is okay. As a born and bred Kansas Citian, the universally recognized home of the best BBQ in the world, I've found Sonny's to be downright not all that bad.
I was not of the impression that Kansas City was universally recognized as the best BBQ in the world. I had heard rumor that publicists had created a diversion from Eastern North Carolina so their BBQ eateries would not be overrun by some many BBQ lovers. That must be the reason for Kansas City's notoriety.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

Hate to be the bearer of probably unwelcome news but the best BBQ we have ever had comes from a place called THE COOKHOUSE in, of all places, New Milford, CONNECTICUT! I don't want to debate as this is merely a point of information and, yes, we have been to KC, most places in the South, etc.

Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.