Starbucks...

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2019, 08:15 AM
Sage

You did not speak their language--black coffee -oh the horror of it all--almost as bad when the Hindenburg burned
Old 11-19-2019, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

When our kids were visiting a week or so ago we were shamed into going to Starbucks. I will drink any Coffee and Starbucks is one of those that I really don't care for that much but being the people pleaser I am we went quietly cause it's their thing. Our Daughter In Law ordered us something called a Medicine Ball. It was really good. I understand they really take care of their employees. I like that.
[CSI at Starbucks]

"Ma'am you've been robbed. The Suspect is at large."

Barista: At what?

"At large"

At what?

"At venti?"

OMG, HOW AWFUL!!!
Old 11-19-2019, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
When our kids were visiting a week or so ago we were shamed into going to Starbucks. I will drink any Coffee and Starbucks is one of those that I really don't care for that much but being the people pleaser I am we went quietly cause it's their thing. Our Daughter In Law ordered us something called a Medicine Ball. It was really good. I understand they really take care of their employees. I like that.
[CSI at Starbucks]

"Ma'am you've been robbed. The Suspect is at large."

Barista: At what?

"At large"

At what?

"At venti?"

OMG, HOW AWFUL!!!
Starbucks or Victoria Secrets?.....
Who charges more per cup?
Old 11-19-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Thank my lucky stars I get by with Folgers Instant.
All this roasting, grinding, filtering with the correct water, and thats after tracking down some bean that I can't pronounce, from a country you only read about when they have blown another % of the population to Kingdome Come.
I would be dehydrated and exhausted before the cup touched my lips!
You're right Two Bills, for many folks it doesn't really matter. Clearly, it takes more of an effort than Folgers Instant but making a really good cup can become a fairly routine practice and, to many of us, well worth the effort. As they say, 'To each his own'.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy View Post
Starbucks on 466 is now open...
According to Motley Fool:

Starbucks target demographic is urban and affluent, often on-the-go white-collar professionals looking to take their caffeine fix with them to the office. The company considers its core customers to be educated, with an average age of 42.

CR 466 seems to be a little off the beaten path.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2019, 07:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win1894 View Post
I've travelled over much of the globe visiting coffee growers and sampling numerous varieties of coffee. My sister runs a coffee plantation on Bali, Indonesia which is a great visit. While I enjoy sampling beans from producers all over the world, if I had to pick a favorite I would have to say Arabica beans from the Yirgacheffe region of Ethiopia. These beans are not too difficult to find in the US. Counter Culture Idido, Orinoco Organic Yirgachaffe, and Intelligentsia El Gallo can all be found on the Internet for a reasonable price. I also know the owner of Old Crown Coffee Roasters in Fort Wayne, IN and they can provide east African beans as well (also on the Internet). All will provide a recent roast date. Be careful of Amazon purchases as you might not get a recent roast. None of these roasters over roast their beans like Starbucks does. Also, these are all medium to medium-light roasts which allow the unique flavors of each variety to manifest. But, if you are into the dark Spanish, Italian, or French roast levels it doesnt really much matter what beans you use.
I grind my own beans just before use and typically use a French Press or Moka pot brew method but for my wife I do a pour-over.
I would never buy pre-ground coffee (it degrades very quickly) nor would I use distilled water to brew coffee - filtered water is best. Brewing coffee to get the most out of it is a highly nuanced process. I've recently written a white paper on optimizing the home brewing process and would be happy to provide a copy to you. Let me know. Win

Win, sure thing I’d like to read your white paper on home brewing.

At home I use an aero press.

AeroPress - Wikipedia
Old 12-03-2019, 03:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Up north we had Willoughby's, a local roaster chain. It was slow-roast low-heat and their Sumatra Mandheling was to die for. It was also stupidly expensive, $19/lb. But it was a best seller and they roasted it a couple times every month. We had a few other local roasters as well but again it was expensive, and we'd usually just pick up 1/4 lb for a special treat to last us a few days.

Our usual brand was - believe it or not - 8 o'clock Columbian, right off the supermarket shelves. We also liked the supermarket's brand of organic Sumatra. Not as good as fresh-roasted but it was still nutty, smooth, and robust.

At the moment we're enjoying Cafe Bustelo espresso-style coffee, because I have a Keurig Cafe coffeemaker with built-in milk steamer/frother. So I'm drinking a cappuccino every single morning. With powdered cinnamon.

I also come from the land of 100 Starbucks. I don't like their coffee, but I get free Starbucks credits for various survey stuff and staying at Choice Hotels whenever we travel. When I do go, I don't pay for it and haven't EVER actually paid out of pocket for Starbucks. I doubt I ever will. But they have a chicken with basil and melted cheese sandwich that is filling and not overly offensive-tasting, and once in awhile I "earn" a free cappuccino - which of course I take advantage of.
OrangeBlossomBaby, I did make it to Willoubhy’s and picked up a 1 pound bag of Sumatra Mandheling, at this time it’s a one time treat but it is very smooth, thanks for the recommendation.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:52 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Starbucks or Victoria Secrets?.....
Who charges more per cup?
Which one taste better? Whatever makes you happy!
Old 12-09-2019, 05:14 PM

Never......
Old 12-09-2019, 07:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,460 Times in 3,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
OrangeBlossomBaby, I did make it to Willoubhy’s and picked up a 1 pound bag of Sumatra Mandheling, at this time it’s a one time treat but it is very smooth, thanks for the recommendation.
Toldja! Remember use less sugar than you usually do, if you use any at all. It has a natural nuttiness that comes out very easily with just a touch.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcapaul View Post
Stopped one time, got the blank stare when I ordered black coffee, no extra anything.
Order decaf coffee all the time, no blank stares. The average Starbucks sells 60% just plain coffee, you add what your heart desires at the side station. If I have to drink coffee out, and wawa’s is not in the mix, it’s Starbucks blond

Tags
starbucks, open

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.