Steak n Shake ...

Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2021, 07:19 PM
Veteran member
Default Steak n Shake ...

... is now open for inside dining. However, instead of wait staff they have four kiosks at the front. You order and pay there and then sit down and wait for them to call out that your order is ready. You then go get your food and bring it back to your table.

We were up north twice in the last month and ate in a couple of restaurants with newly installed kiosks. I guess the owners are tired of waiting for people to return to the work force.

kathy
Old 10-07-2021, 07:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Good to know, thanks for sharing.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,600 Times in 5,194 Posts

You would think that a high class place like Steak and Shake would provide personal service.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
... is now open for inside dining. However, instead of wait staff they have four kiosks at the front. You order and pay there and then sit down and wait for them to call out that your order is ready. You then go get your food and bring it back to your table.

We were up north twice in the last month and ate in a couple of restaurants with newly installed kiosks. I guess the owners are tired of waiting for people to return to the work force.

kathy
We ate there a week or so ago and there was no crowd. While I don't mind the Kiosk thing, because I'm there for a burger and a shake, it seems to me the new process has driven off many customers.

It's now just a fast food joint where they call out your number. I suspect this is the end because 3 tables with people at 5pm on a Thursday is not a recipe for a food joint to survive.
Old 10-08-2021, 05:48 AM

The workforce shortage will not improve if the minimum wage is increased.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:36 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

Worked their way right out of a job.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Looks like we will be eating at home just about all the time in the future, I refuse to eat anywhere that forces me to use a Kiosk or App to order/pay for our food.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Looks like we will be eating at home just about all the time in the future, I refuse to eat anywhere that forces me to use a Kiosk or App to order/pay for our food.
My mother would not stop at a gas station where she had to pump her own gas or pay at the pump - that just wasn't the level service she was accustomed to. I, on the other hand, would drive to the next station until I found one where I *could* pay at the pump.

Some prefer to talk to a person to take their order, especially if the prices reflect that kind of service. I'm starting to get used to the mobile order apps and a kiosk wouldn't bother me at all. But if ordering at a kiosk is not the Steak-n-Shake experience people have become accustomed to and expect then they will likely lose some business.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-08-2021, 08:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Good gawd! Not eating at a place where you have to use kiosk or app to order?

Get used to it. It is the future because people don’t want to get off their ass and go back to work; restaurant’s like Steak and Shake have to find a way to survive.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:08 PM

Look at it this way you just saved 20% . No reason to tip if there is no wait staff
Old 10-08-2021, 10:35 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Spot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opengineer150 View Post
Look at it this way you just saved 20% . No reason to tip if there is no wait staff
When will people wake up and look at the data. There is a shortage of labor as projected at least 20 years ago. To show you how unrealistic Congress is the current Federal Minimum Wage is $7.25 It’s a joke. The people we are sending to Washington are completely out of step with the people they are suppose to represent. Do you suppose the fact that most of them are millionaires has anything to do with it? Yeah, maybe a little.
Old 10-09-2021, 04:55 AM
Veteran member

That shows how most of you are so old. Coming from Jersey we were one of two states that had a law that we must have service people at gas stations because there are so many small private ones that they wanted to protect. I shudder to think with the shortage of workers what the lines would be just to get gas in today's world. We went to France about 10 or 12 years ago and at the Palace of Versailles we had to eat at a McDonald's and we first saw her touch screens there on a Sunday when all the other restaurants were closed, even the French did not know how to use them. Get used to it along with self checkout Lanes, pre-ordering on your phone, and the ubiquitous Amazon, I bet none of you understand or realize how much the world really has changed when you can't even get anyone at the department store to give you any help except for maybe the shoe department. Low skill jobs are going away for a lot of people and it's really going to hurt all the high school is mostly and the seniors that just want something easy to take up a few hours. And steak and shake is just a fast food joint folks . I can't say the food is any better or worse than McDonald's or Burger King or Wendy's.
Old 10-09-2021, 05:28 AM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
You would think that a high class place like Steak and Shake would provide personal service.
Old 10-09-2021, 05:31 AM
Platinum member
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
My mother would not stop at a gas station where she had to pump her own gas or pay at the pump - that just wasn't the level service she was accustomed to. I, on the other hand, would drive to the next station until I found one where I *could* pay at the pump.
I haven't seen a full service gas station in years. I guess I'm so used to pump n go stations
That I haven't looked for a full service...
Old 10-09-2021, 06:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
I haven't seen a full service gas station in years. I guess I'm so used to pump n go stations
That I haven't looked for a full service...
I lived 28 years in Ohio and 28 years in NJ until recently and getting fuel in the rain or snow in NJ was a breeze because some guy from India or Pakistan did the work. No idea why there aren't people from elsewhere, but they are all most all from the Indian subcontinent or just north of there. Rare Egyptian. You get to know most of them if you go enough. Nice folks usually.

They also, on occasion would steal your credit card information, short change you, over fill you (I asked for $20, you filled me up, etc.).

You take the good with the bad.

Personally, I love the scan and go App at Sam's club both inside and for gas. Drive up, it picks up the code and fill 'er up. I also love walking behind my cart with items past all the people in line in the store and go right out to the door! The first time it felt a bit like stealing, but I got over it. Now I wouldn't even consider NOT using the app in Sam's club. It's so much easier to just leave with the stuff you picked out.
Closed Thread

Tags
order, kiosks, wait, north, couple

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.