Subway subs

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2021, 09:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,045 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Oh, puleeze. I thought better of you. Toasting is an option.
It is an option for sure.

Ever work in a restaurant? I have and that is one way they do use up stale bread.

Other ways if you are interested are making croutons and breadcrumbs for onion rings and other breading of fried foods.
Old 03-20-2021, 02:53 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Especially since they don't *actually* toast it. They stick it in a convection oven that crisps up the top surface and melts the cheese. As long as they don't put it on the wrong setting or leave it in too long, the rest of the bread is just as squishy as it was before they put it in the oven.
Nope, it's a high speed convection oven used in almost every major restaurant chain. It toasts, melts, etc. Screwups by a crew member are another issue altogether and can happen anywhere.
Old 03-20-2021, 02:55 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
It is an option for sure.

Ever work in a restaurant? I have and that is one way they do use up stale bread.

Other ways if you are interested are making croutons and breadcrumbs for onion rings and other breading of fried foods.
Been in the "business" since 1967, so I do know what I'm talking about.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
We do get subs at Publix. But never when we want it "soon." It took me 15 minutes standing in line just to get a sub ROLL yesterday, and there was only 1 person ahead of me in line. (I buy the rolls to make garlic bread and they don't sell that sub roll on the floor, only behind the deli).

That is the biggest downside to getting subs at Publix. They are notoriously slow.
What's surprising about this it that Publix customer service is excellent in every other department. Why is it only the deli that's like this. There is one very pretty black girl that works in the deli at the La Plaza Grande location who does an excellent job. She is the only one that seems to know what she is doing.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
The truth is, someone DID really make that perfect sandwich, and that perfect sandwich really CAN be made. It's 100% true.

You can always ask them to make it look just like that picture, if you really want them to do it. They're pretty accommodating people, as long as there's no line behind you.
Not necessarily. Some of the stuff that you see in advertisement photos is not real. For all we know the stuff in the pics could be plastic.

One I know about was for cereal. They kept pouring milk on the cereal but it sank to the bottom and didn't show up in the photo. What did they use instead to make it look appetizing? Elmer's Glue.

It's the same for all of these products. Ad companies use whatever they can to make the product look good. Have you ever seen a Whopper or Big Mac that looks like the ones in the ads? A lot or the time they don't even use food products because they being to wilt under the hot lights.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston1945 View Post
Yes Sir..The first time for me was the new one in the front of Lowe's on 466A.
No lie $13.00 and some change. SAY WHAT???
That's for their "Giant" size. It's about one and a half times the size of a subway and has way more meat and cheese.

Old 03-21-2021, 07:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I had a Firehouse one time, that was a Millenia Mall in Orlando, so it was the only option, their food court lacks. I ordered a cold cut, and they gave to me toasted. I have never had a cold cut sub toasted in my entire life. That told me they had no clue how to make a real cold cut sub. A steak sub, you can toast, not one with cold cut meats.
Agree 1000%. I ordered an Italian cold cut at Firehouse and stopped them before they could put it in the oven with the lettuce, tomato etc. I took it home cold. It was mediocre at best. That was the last time I ever went to Firehouse.

Old 03-21-2021, 07:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
We do get subs at Publix. But never when we want it "soon." It took me 15 minutes standing in line just to get a sub ROLL yesterday, and there was only 1 person ahead of me in line. (I buy the rolls to make garlic bread and they don't sell that sub roll on the floor, only behind the deli).

That is the biggest downside to getting subs at Publix. They are notoriously slow.
I agree completely. But next time, try Jersey Mike's. Their employees are very efficient. Sometimes there can be a bit of a wait because they are so busy. But then again, there is a reason that they are so busy.

Some people are raving about Wa Wa. I might give them a shot next time.

Old 03-21-2021, 08:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Not a fan of Sub Sandwiches (not on my cardiologist’s list of food recommendations) but occasionally will share a footlong with my wife. That said, my experience with Subway goes from very good to mediocre. Not all Subway stores are alike in quality. Much depends on the ownership, mangers and trained employees. The same can be said regarding other “branded” Sub Stores too. Good luck in your search.
Your cardiologist probably tells you to eat a lot of "healthy" whole grains which are really at the root of most health problems these days.

I have a jersey Mike's sub maybe once a month if that. But avoid them because of the bread. Sometimes, I get a sub in a salad but it's not the same.

Closed Thread

Tags
shocking, subway, subs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.