Suggested Gratuities error on restaurant bill

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2018, 12:49 PM
Default Suggested Gratuities error on restaurant bill

Recently ate at a newer restaurant in the Villages and got my bill which was $20.06 before tax. The "suggested gratuity" at the bottom of the bill showed 18%=$5.23, 20%=$5.81 and 25%=$7.26. According to the math I was taught, 20% would be $4.01; quite a difference. Maybe it's that newer Common Core math????
At any rate, don't take the calculations at the bottom of a bill for granted. I called the manager and he said the problem will be corrected. If it hasn't been the next time I visit, I will publish the name of the restaurant.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:17 PM

Same thing happened to me at The Olive Garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Bob View Post
Recently ate at a newer restaurant in the Villages and got my bill which was $20.06 before tax. The "suggested gratuity" at the bottom of the bill showed 18%=$5.23, 20%=$5.81 and 25%=$7.26. According to the math I was taught, 20% would be $4.01; quite a difference. Maybe it's that newer Common Core math????
At any rate, don't take the calculations at the bottom of a bill for granted. I called the manager and he said the problem will be corrected. If it hasn't been the next time I visit, I will publish the name of the restaurant.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:39 PM

And while you're doing the math, the 20% should be on the pre-tax total! Not the final bill.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:16 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Or, you could be nice and tip on the entire bill, not just pre-tax. And don’t forget that if you use a coupon or some other form of discount, the tip should be based on the whole price, not the discounted price. Don’t punish the servers because you got a deal. They give you the same service regardless.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-03-2018, 07:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Or, you could be nice and tip on the entire bill, not just pre-tax. And don’t forget that if you use a coupon or some other form of discount, the tip should be based on the whole price, not the discounted price. Don’t punish the servers because you got a deal. They give you the same service regardless.
Yes. Also remember that the same effort is needed to bring you a glass of water as it is to bring an expensive cocktail.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Totally agree. The additional tip on the tax is chump change, most likely less than a buck on most checks.....and I do know some that tip on the net check after the discount coupon...and have called them on it.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-03-2018, 08:47 PM

Please tell us which “new” restaurant ‘suggested’ those tips. I want to avoid that place for sure.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Yes. Also remember that the same effort is needed to bring you a glass of water as it is to bring an expensive cocktail.
It also takes just as much effort to bring me a cheese sandwich as a filet mignon. Should I take that into account?
Old 01-04-2018, 09:06 AM

At best it is deceitful!
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 01-04-2018, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,623 Times in 5,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doro22 View Post
Please tell us which “new” restaurant ‘suggested’ those tips. I want to avoid that place for sure.
I agree. A tip is a voluntary gift and no business should ask for tips, or suggest an amount.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The Business isn't asking for a tip. It's the suggested amount for the server who gets paid squat to start with. IF your Server or Bar Tender takes care of you especially if you go to the same places often you will be remembered and taken care of a little better. Trust me on that!
Old 01-04-2018, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Glad to see reminders to tip on the full amount, not the 2 for 1 or discounted coupon amount.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2018, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I barely even look at those things. I can figure out 15% if the service was not very good and 20% if it was good and 25% if it was great in my head.

For as long as I could remember, the tip for good service was 15%. Somehow in the past 25 years or so it became 20%. I often wonder when and how that happened.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
No, and it's not even close.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:19 AM

WE live in The Villages --who by the way are know as notorious bad tippers. Most servers work hard and do not make a lot of money . if you notice, most of the servers here are not retirees like the majority of their client (us) They are youngsters raising families. As for myself I never look at the restaurants suggestions for tips. I just multiply the ENTIRE bill by 20%. The prices here in TV are never so high that 1 or 2 bucks will kill you ..Is it ? The only thing I ever take into account is the servers attitude and attentiveness and that is just a rounding concern a tip of 8.50 becomes 9 or 8 ..Makes it easier for me since I am not a math person . (Thats why I married a College Calculus professor LOL)

When I first got here I was annoyed that bartenders never buy back a drink ...until I realized I was paying 2.50 for a beer I was paying better than 5.00 back up north.

I realize everything in life is about our experiences from th past and our expectations.

My only thought is treat people with respect and it will return to you in spades.

Would you rater spend you life

or

Tags
bill, bottom, math, suggested, newer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.