Suggested Gratuities error on restaurant bill

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2018, 10:23 AM
Platinum member
Default New Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Bob View Post
The "suggested gratuity" at the bottom of the bill showed 18%=$5.23, 20%=$5.81 and 25%=$7.26. According to the math I was taught, 20% would be $4.01; quite a difference.
This is obviously intentional and we need to know who is doing this. As long as you are factual, you should name the place, so we can ALL watch for this crookedness. I'll bet the servers know it is incorrect (and in their favor).

Try writing on the check: "My calculation is that 20% tip = $1.43 ".

That'll get the servers to force the management to correct it.

Skip
Old 01-04-2018, 10:26 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I barely even look at those things. I can figure out 15% if the service was not very good and 20% if it was good and 25% if it was great in my head.

For as long as I could remember, the tip for good service was 15%. Somehow in the past 25 years or so it became 20%. I often wonder when and how that happened.
You're right and I've seen 18%, 20%, 25% as suggested tips on the slip. It's called pushing the envelope.

Skip
Old 01-04-2018, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

I always cash tip at the table, never on the card at the checkout. Never trusted management to give it all to the staff
Old 01-04-2018, 12:17 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromAroundHere View Post
It also takes just as much effort to bring me a cheese sandwich as a filet mignon. Should I take that into account?
Considering that a filet is at least twice the price of a cheese sandwich, the tip difference is already factored in. However, if you really think the same effort is used for these two items suggest you become a server for a week. A cheese sandwich requires picking it up and bringing it to the table. A filet requires bread, salad, possible sides on separate plates, and sour cream, etc. added to baked potato.

Glad you aren’t my daughter’s customer (she gave up on Villagers and now works in Ocala).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-04-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Considering that a filet is at least twice the price of a cheese sandwich, the tip difference is already factored in. However, if you really think the same effort is used for these two items suggest you become a server for a week. A cheese sandwich requires picking it up and bringing it to the table. A filet requires bread, salad, possible sides on separate plates, and sour cream, etc. added to baked potato.

Glad you aren’t my daughter’s customer (she gave up on Villagers and now works in Ocala).
I think your daughter would be very happy to have me as a customer. I don't know why you think she wouldn't.

Since my point was missed, I'll restate - I have been a server, and still don't understand why a tip should be more for a filet than it is for something similar that costs half as much.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:02 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

WE live in The Villages --who by the way are known as notorious bad tippers.

How is this exactly known? Has there been a study on this? I have lots and lot of friends here, none of us are bad tippers.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:16 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post

How is this exactly known? Has there been a study on this? I have lots and lot of friends here, none of us are bad tippers.
Talk to the servers. Too many here still think 10% is a good tip. I actually heard one woman tell her friend to not leave a tip because “tips were part of the amenity fees.”

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-04-2018, 06:22 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Talk to the servers. Too many here still think 10% is a good tip. I actually heard one woman tell her friend to not leave a tip because “tips were part of the amenity fees.”
I talk to the servers every time I go to a restaurant. Kinda hard to order without talking to them. This whole "villagers are bad tippers" seems like an urban myth. Never see it, never hear of it until someone starts a rumor on the internet.

If some 90 year old lady living off her social security can only muster up 10% tip on her one night out per month so be it, the occasional 30% tip balances it out.

I promise to tip 20% on my next glass of water.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:11 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Doing the right thing

Quote:
Recently ate at a newer restaurant in the Villages and got my bill which was $20.06 before tax. The "suggested gratuity" at the bottom of the bill showed 18%=$5.23, 20%=$5.81 and 25%=$7.26. According to the math I was taught, 20% would be $4.01; quite a difference. Maybe it's that newer Common Core math????
At any rate, don't take the calculations at the bottom of a bill for granted. I called the manager and he said the problem will be corrected. If it hasn't been the next time I visit, I will publish the name of the restaurant.
OP, Others might disagree but I think you did the right thing by giving this restaurant the benefit of doubt. It could be a computer program error. It’s hard to believe that a manager wouldn’t be smart enough to know that a customer wouldn’t do the math and be upset with the situation. Thanks, and keep us posted.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:19 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Recently ate at a newer restaurant in the Villages and got my bill which was $20.06 before tax. The "suggested gratuity" at the bottom of the bill showed 18%=$5.23, 20%=$5.81 and 25%=$7.26. According to the math I was taught, 20% would be $4.01; quite a difference. Maybe it's that newer Common Core math????
At any rate, don't take the calculations at the bottom of a bill for granted. I called the manager and he said the problem will be corrected. If it hasn't been the next time I visit, I will publish the name of the restaurant.
It’s a clearly greed.
The bottom of the bill it to guilt you.
And we all know who gets a kick back from TV greed.
Don’t ever pay a dime.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 01-05-2018, 07:21 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

It’s on the internet/ Facebook.
STD’s Swingers, Mr Midnight,

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 01-05-2018, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

Quote:
I talk to the servers every time I go to a restaurant. Kinda hard to order without talking to them. This whole "villagers are bad tippers" seems like an urban myth. Never see it, never hear of it until someone starts a rumor on the internet.

If some 90 year old lady living off her social security can only muster up 10% tip on her one night out per month so be it, the occasional 30% tip balances it out.

I promise to tip 20% on my next glass of water.
A 90 year old lady who gets a social security check and only goes out once a month has got to be loaded. What is she doing with all her money?
Old 01-05-2018, 08:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. A tip is a voluntary gift and no business should ask for tips, or suggest an amount.
Yeah, we don't want those servers making a lot of money. They make sooo much an hour. What $3.00 and they hardly have to put up with the Bull.... from a lot of senior residents. Good excuse for being CHEAP. I also like the excuse "We don't tip in our country" - but your not in your country and a service charge is added on to your bill. Just saying.However, if you get lousy service, then you get a lousy tip.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
A 90 year old lady who gets a social security check and only goes out once a month has got to be loaded. What is she doing with all her money?
She's probably spending her money on buying hop-up parts...to modify her golf cart to run 35 mph.

And removing the turn signal stalk.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:43 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
Yeah, we don't want those servers making a lot of money. They make sooo much an hour. What $3.00 and they hardly have to put up with the Bull.... from a lot of senior residents. Good excuse for being CHEAP. I also like the excuse "We don't tip in our country" - but your not in your country and a service charge is added on to your bill. Just saying.However, if you get lousy service, then you get a lousy tip.
Tips are just a way for the greedy restaurants to get you to pay there wages.
McDonald’s does to ask for tips, and they are paying over minimum wage per CNN.

All employees up to restaurant managers will get a pay bump as well. The result: the fast food giant projects that its average hourly wage will reach more than $10 an hour by the end of 2016 -- up from $9.01 currently. The new average will be $2.75 above the federal minimum wage.Apr 1, 2015
McDonalds to give a pay raise to hourly workers - Apr. 1, 2015 - ...

Chloe
&
Lulu
Closed Thread

Tags
bill, bottom, math, suggested, newer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.