Suleiman family sold

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2018, 02:41 PM

I just called Havana and asked the Manager about honoring gift cards at Lopez after Ownership changes. I was told to use them THIS week or NEXT week. After that, they will not honor them!
Old 09-03-2018, 03:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny70 View Post
I just called Havana and asked the Manager about honoring gift cards at Lopez after Ownership changes. I was told to use them THIS week or NEXT week. After that, they will not honor them!
There should be a law about gift cards the same way there is a law about rentals in Florida... Say you rent your house out, one May, to someone for the winter (or for any amount of time in the future). Then come July, you decide to sell your house. By Florida law, the new owner must honor the rental.

Should be the same with gift cards. The new owner should be compelled to honor them. It could be negotiated in the sale price. MHO.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:05 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't know. Hope it is a good thing. Some changes in ownerships of the Country Club restaurants have not been great, in my opinion. Not real happy about a couple recently; Glenview to me has changed and I miss the old staff too, and the much higher prices at Havana, and can't seem to find stuff I love.
I agree that Havana is higher, but it also has better food so I can live with that. Glenview has gone downhill, and that is too bad because I love the ambience of the place. (It reminds me of a real country club)
Old 09-03-2018, 04:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
Amerikanos. New owner took over yesterday and promised to keep everything the same.
The Suleimans are buying Nancy Lopez.

I'd like to see them serve breakfast again.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:58 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
I agree that Havana is higher, but it also has better food so I can live with that. Glenview has gone downhill, and that is too bad because I love the ambience of the place. (It reminds me of a real country club)
IMO, Glenview and Hacienda have both suffered since the current owner took over these 2 CC's. Same owner, same problems, both need new managers and/or ownership.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:45 PM

Here is the latest scoop on Nancy Lopez Country Club. Earlier today I called Havana and asked one of the managers (and new owners) if they would honor the Gift Cards to Lopez. I was told YES they would, but they would only honor them this week and next week at Lopez. Well guess what! Tonight, Hubby and I went to Lopez for dinner. I asked our waitress "what's the scoop" . SHE said they are closing TONIGHT. They were out of lots of food, such as the Meatloaf with Mushrooms or Chicken Marsala (basically, anything with mushrooms). They were also out of all desserts but Brownies. She said many folks, who found out they were closing tonight, who had Gift Cards, ordered desserts or Entrees to go. By the time we ordered at 5:45, the above mentioned were gone. Their special was Steak and Lobster, which Hubby ordered and it was great. I ordered my favorite, Bourbon Salmon which was wonderful along with mashed potatoes and green beans. We then had her check our Frequent Diner card for points and we had $50 on it. So now with our $130 in Gift s, we had $180! Yikes. Nobody knew if the new owners would be honoring the cards, so people who asked about the cards, were ordering food to go. BINGO! We decided to do the same rather than lose the money. So I now have several very nice meals from Lopez in my Freezer. She said they would be opening in October. She also said they had decided to keep the Staff (which our waitress was happy about)! So Stay tuned!
Old 09-03-2018, 07:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Sad about this. I really liked Nancy Lopez and it was a special place to dine. The staff were always top drawer and very skilled, especially the servers. When daughter one was here a month or so ago, the place was not full at all at six in the evening.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-04-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
BTW: We learned today that This new resturant will have its standard fare offerings but will also cater to High end steaks and Seafood..($30+ Entrees).
A restaurant offering high end steaks and seafood would keep my dollars for that fare here in The Villages.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2018, 12:58 AM
Sage

The writing was on the wall for several months--lack of liquor inventory is always a key sign that a restaurant is going under-the same person killed Hemingway's and now he can add Lopez Legacy
Old 09-04-2018, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default I wonder if the name will be changed.

I am sure that Nancy Lopez is paid for her name use. I have never been clear whether she "owned" the business, but like everything changing, she isn't as well known as she used to be.

We saw Nancy Lopez coming in when we were checking in once some years ago. She was warm and gracious when we spoke to her.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:43 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
I miss Bonny
Me, too. Very much. She was one classy woman.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:45 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny70 View Post
That is not fair. Usually when a restaurant is sold, gift cards are conveyed as liabilities.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:04 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I am sure that Nancy Lopez is paid for her name use. I have never been clear whether she "owned" the business, but like everything changing, she isn't as well known as she used to be.
Nancy's name is NOT on the restaurant, only the Country Club by license. It's the Legacy Restaurant.

Skip
Old 09-08-2018, 05:02 PM
Gold member

FYI, apparently the sale of Lopez occurred yesterday. The dining room there had a sign on it yesterday afternoon that says they are Closed for Renovations. At the Oasis Bar last night (by the pool) they had already done away with the BOGO Burger special they usually run on Fridays. I was told it was because the new owners took over and they needed to look at and analyze the books etc before any specials like that would be offered. Probably analyzing food and beverage costs etc. The staff seemed excited and optimistic that things would be better at the Oasis.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:

We saw Nancy Lopez coming in when we were checking in once some years ago. She was warm and gracious when we spoke to her.
It's been called the Legacy Restaurant for some years because she no longer has anything to do with it and collects no royalties.
Closed Thread

Tags
suleimans, lopez, nancy, buying, promised

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.