Is there an actual Greek restaurant within 30?

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2021, 09:50 AM
Gold member

We love Takis, great Greek salad too!
Old 09-03-2021, 04:03 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
In my reality, Greek restaurants do not serve cheeseburgers, turkey subs, or Key Lime Pie.
You back??
Old 09-03-2021, 06:30 PM
Location: Lived in MD, SC, DE, PA, VA, CA, Italy, Spain, USNS Comfort & Mercy...moved from New Mexico

Skip,
How does one join the Gourmet Club in the Villages? My husband and I are very interested! Thanks, Joan
Old 09-03-2021, 08:02 PM

If ANYONE finds good grilled octopus around these parts, PLEASE share the info....I'll even buy you dinner for your efforts! I'd also be VERY grateful to find a place that makes a great shrimp cobb salad. Two of my FAVORITE foods
Old 09-04-2021, 11:02 AM

Make sure you check out St. Mark's Greek church festival when they have it...usually advertise the the Daily Sun- delicious greek food & pastries...they try to have it before Greek lent starts...church is in Belleview.
Old 09-05-2021, 05:24 PM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpate View Post
Skip,
How does one join the Gourmet Club in the Villages? My husband and I are very interested! Thanks, Joan
Joan:
I joined by attending a meeting. Next one is Sunday, October 3rd at Allamanda Rec. Center at 7 PM. Great club for dining out and dining in too. Leaders are a wealth of knowledge. Here's how the club runs: INFO
Their restaurant website has nearly every restaurant (950+) within 100 miles of The Villages.
And it's searchable too! Just search for Greek cuisine (or just Souvlaki, or Leg of Lamb) on their Search Page.
We've made many friends there.
Here's their homepage. Incredible amount of info on their website.

Skip
Old 09-05-2021, 05:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
We love Takis, great Greek salad too!
And we would choose Lakis on SR 200 in Ocala over either Takis here. It's about 25 miles up there, however. Been in business a long time.

Skip
Old 09-05-2021, 09:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,465 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Joan:
I joined by attending a meeting. Next one is Sunday, October 3rd at Allamanda Rec. Center at 7 PM. Great club for dining out and dining in too. Leaders are a wealth of knowledge. Here's how the club runs: INFO
Their restaurant website has nearly every restaurant (950+) within 100 miles of The Villages.
And it's searchable too! Just search for Greek cuisine (or just Souvlaki, or Leg of Lamb) on their Search Page.
We've made many friends there.
Here's their homepage. Incredible amount of info on their website.

Skip
I'm sad to see there aren't any Brazilian Barbeque restaurants on the list. Are there none in the area at all? Or maybe they call it something else?

Also, on that website if you mouse your cursor down the page in an attempt to type into the search buffer, the [Polk Area includes] list pops up. And so does every single area on the list that your cursor passes on the way to that search buffer. In order to minimize the list, you have to run the mouse over the little blue arrow next to each area's name. But then as soon as you move your cursor away from that arrow, it hits the arrow on another area, resulting in another popup.

I had 8 popups on my screen completely obscuring the search buffer before I finally just gave up and closed the page.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I'm sad to see there aren't any Brazilian Barbeque restaurants on the list. Are there none in the area at all? Or maybe they call it something else?

If you're talking about a Brazilian Churrascaria, I believe the closest one is on Rte 301 in Ocala. There are a few in Orlando too.

Ipanema Brazilian Steak House click here
Old 09-06-2021, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Olympia Restaurant in Orlando.
Olympia Restaurant
Old 09-06-2021, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,465 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
If you're talking about a Brazilian Churrascaria, I believe the closest one is on Rte 301 in Ocala. There are a few in Orlando too.

Thanks! It's not something I'd do on a regular basis so being a little further from home is fine. Would probably go to the one in Ocala. Maybe an anniversary treat.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:18 PM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I had 8 popups on my screen completely obscuring the search buffer before I finally just gave up and closed the page.
OBB:
I don't have that problem but I sent your comment to the club's webmaster.
He just replied:
"Unruly TOOL TIPS can be caused by 1. Slow internet connection, 2. Noise on the line causing data packet drops or 3. An old (slow) computer. I can fix that easily by preloading the TOOL TIP texts. Now the page loads a little slower but you get better TOOL TIP response. Have that poster go back and try the new page. (Might have to reload/refresh the page when you revisit.) I'll bet it works for him/her now with no "hangs". SEARCH PAGE
Enjoy. Thanks for the feedback."

I tried it and it looks a little different but it works fine. Give it another shot, OBB.

Skip
Old 09-07-2021, 07:29 PM

I just got back from Greece. You are right the only Greek food is fresh octopus, fresh lamb, maybe the freshest fish, and home made stuffed warm grape leaves.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post

$50 for that selection? I'd rather drive to Otown and go to Fogo
Old 09-22-2021, 08:28 AM
Veteran member

I'm going to end looking at this thread - Here's my take on all of this -

The best that can be offered "in the area" meaning not Tarpon, Tampa, Orlando etc. is nothing more than cheap to average Italian serving what they think is greek and taking on a greek name.

That being said, I doubt I'd live in this gourmet club either because what my experience has been here for the last 2 months doesn't rate above 3 stars out of 5 if they are lucky. I don't settle and yes I'm selective. I'd rather make it myself than to have it poorly done.

Thanks for all the responses.

Tags
actual, greek, restaurant, chops, bar

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.