Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Are there any good Italian restaurants around? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/there-any-good-italian-restaurants-around-9344/)

henryconnie 09-25-2007 11:47 AM

Re: Are there any good Italian restaurants around?

???Really good Italian restaurants ??? Maybe Carrabbas comes close. Why aren't there any restaurants that have real Italian bread? Most of the breads are soft, like hot dog rolls, and smothered with garlic and oil, so you don't notice they're not really Italian breads. But, Hey, this is not New York, or Philly, so you take what you can get.

mdspchldy1 10-06-2007 08:02 PM

Naples is probably the best around. Delicious food, large portions, and good service. It can't be beat. Giovanni's is good if you want to stay local.

zcaveman 10-06-2007 08:41 PM

Had the chicken cacciatore at Olive Garden in Ocala on rt 200 yesterday. Very rich marinara sauce and a great tasting piece of chicken encrusted in a tasty shell. Great salad and bread sticks.

ashines 11-01-2007 03:41 AM

Isabella's was about the worse overpriced food I ever ate. Of the ten at our table all agreed to never go back.

jadebox 11-01-2007 11:16 AM

Try Pasta Faire on north 441 near KMart.

gingersmom 11-06-2007 08:50 PM

Pasta Faire was like eating cardboard. Try Bella Luna in Ocala or Goodfellows in Bellview.

MSNPA 11-06-2007 09:55 PM

I'm repeating what someone else said - Naples in Leesburg is great. I judge good Italian by the sauce and their sauce is the best.

JUREK 11-06-2007 10:10 PM

I agree Naples in Leesburg and Bella Luna in Ocala.
Both excellent :agree: :agree:

nhsnowbird 11-06-2007 10:27 PM

Olive Garden is my all time favorite. No matter where you are (tried NH, NJ, and PA), you know what you are getting. I've never been disappointed.

Pat :)

Russ_Boston 11-07-2007 07:26 PM

There is no way i could call Olive Garden my favorite Italian restaurant. Not with all the fine places in the North End of Boston or even Federal Hill in Providence.

BUT - OG is certainly consistant. Not great but very good.

Skip 11-28-2007 06:36 PM

Little Italy (hands down)!

Skip

EYANKOWSKI 11-28-2007 06:41 PM

THE OLIVE GARDENS MUST BE DIFFERENT IN FLORIDA I WENT TO ONE IN LONG ISLAND
AND ONCE WAS MORE THAN ENOUGH

Russ_Boston 12-04-2007 01:45 PM

Skip - Little Italy (in NYC of course) is a big disappointment now. It's mainly become a Chinese location with fewer and fewer Italian restaraunts. The Chinese restaurants are good but Little Italy is certainly not the same culture that is was years ago.

Boston's North end (its Little Italy) has remained mostly true to its roots and there are still dozens of relatively small true Italian restaurants.

Skip 12-11-2007 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ_Boston
Skip - Little Italy (in NYC of course) is a big disappointment now.
Boston's North end (its Little Italy) has remained mostly true to its roots and there are still dozens of relatively small true Italian restaurants.

No - Little Italy in Inverness.

Skip

KathieI 12-11-2007 04:52 PM

Russ, its been 30 years since I lived in Manhattan and I'm not sure about this, but the Italian restaurants may have moved more towards the west village. 2 years ago was there on business and took a taxi from Jacob Javits south towards the village. Stopped the cab in front of 2 small Italian restaurants and after reviewing the specials, went into 1 that had only about 10 tables. Of course, I sat facing the front door.....

It was utterly fantastic. After so much food and lots of authentic red Italian wine (not Californian), I was very very happy.

So bottom line, I think they're still there but perhaps not in abundance as they used to be. But you can't beat that food... dreaming. Now I have to go eat sprouts!!!