Three Restaurants gone this week

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2020, 06:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,036 Times in 5,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Demshars closed before this week. They had a "nasty-gram" on their little message board outside the store where they usually put the menu blaming customers for not coming to the Square (like it was our "fault" that they had no business). That was over a week ago.
That does not exactly promote good will does it
Old 09-11-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Demshars closed before this week. They had a "nasty-gram" on their little message board outside the store where they usually put the menu blaming customers for not coming to the Square (like it was our "fault" that they had no business). That was over a week ago.
Always another side to the story.

Demshars recently received between $ 150,000 to $ 300,000 in Covid-19 relief money designated as ahem a " Forgivable Loan ".

The money was obtained through Citizens First Bank.

My prediction the obvious Bye Bye Spanish Springs and " The Villages ".

Hmmmm follow the $$$$$$$

Stonecrest was available ..... Bingo !
Old 09-11-2020, 08:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanTho View Post
Always another side to the story.

Demshars recently received between $ 150,000 to $ 300,000 in Covid-19 relief money designated as ahem a " Forgivable Loan ".

The money was obtained through Citizens First Bank.

My prediction the obvious Bye Bye Spanish Springs and " The Villages ".

Hmmmm follow the $$$$$$$

Stonecrest was available ..... Bingo !
Our govt throwing away our money once again
Old 09-11-2020, 09:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

I was just there tonight, if I knew I was going to be quizzed on the subject I would've taken a photo of the sign. It was a short paragraph. Something like "we have decided that there's no point in trying to stay open because of Covid-19. Maybe if more people actually came to the square it'd be worth trying to save this place but screw that."

Those are my words, expressing my perception of what they posted.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:28 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
But isn't it, just a little bit. our fault that they closed? There are a few scenarios... 1. The food/service was so bad people didn't want to go there. 2. The Pandemic happened so we're not eating out at all. 3. There's no entertainment so we're not going to the square.

#1 is there own fault. But #2 and #3 fall on the consumer. If they're not getting business they're not making money and so they have to close.

I can tell you that we have either done take out or dined in at the restaurants that we want to support. We overtip. We understand if we don't support the restaurants we love, they might go out of business. So we are doing everything we can to support them.

If you don't want your favorite restaurant to close... that's what you have to do.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:51 AM
Default Demshirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Very sorry to hear that Demshars closed. It was one of our favorite Villages restaurants. Maybe the family will open anew one after the pandemic runs its course.
DENNIS opened...Check out Cheers in Stone Crest..
Great food and entertainment.. also heard reopen..could happen in November.. villages open the squares..
Old 09-12-2020, 06:03 AM
Thanked 1,306 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swooner View Post
Toojays, Spanish Springs

Demshars, Spanish Springs

Cody’s , Mulberry
Restaurants closing and opening under new ownership and new names is a constant thing in that particular business. The catch is, none of them will make it if they are not supported. I recently spent three weeks outside the villages in two different states. Ate in restaurants that were at least 50% full or more. Nowhere did I see the paranoia that exists in the villages with regard to COVID-19. A virus that now should be in the rearview mirror based on how the number of cases and deaths have dropped so significantly nationwide. Do you want things to get back to normal? Then start acting like it!
Old 09-12-2020, 06:09 AM
Default Stiffed businesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
What one has to ask is in 2019 how many times did one frequent the three restaurants. I’ll go first

Too Jays SS once

Demshars SS twice

Cody’s Zero

Let’s throw in KBs Since 2007 have been there 3 times

None of these was about cost, for us it’s the food, nothing spectacular just a average. So we definitely didn’t contribute to keeping them open
I liked Cody’s when we first went to their Ocala restaurant before they move to The Villages and after they move to TV they were good but then management didn’t keep the quality up. I got sick off of the salad at the Sumter store and it took awhile to go back. The other two stores also had problems with food and the managers admitted it.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
TooJay's and Cody are permanently closed.

I thought the sign said temporary closure on Demshar's and I got an email a few weeks ago saying they were closing temporarily because of COVID-19.

We've had many delicious meals at Demshar's and maybe holding off on the negative comments will help them to reopen when the time comes.
Hopefully the negative comments will prompt them to improve their food and service and make every day consistently good.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Would hate to be in retail with a store-front.
If COVID doesn’t kill your storefront business, Amazon could !

Old 09-12-2020, 07:07 AM
Sage

The business climate has been changing for the last few years. First because of a lot of online shopping, long-time stores have folded. Then COVID hit.....restaurants are a tough business in a good economy but then with all the restrictions laid out these past months it would be tough to continue. IF they were struggling prior then a death-knell is expected. I think of stores like SteinMart too, going out of business. Don't know what their bottom line was before COVID but..... We can all complain and point fingers but I'd wager many have never had a business. I didn't have a store-front but I did do a direct selling business for a few years. My supplier went through some struggles due to rapid growth, trying to change with that in technology as well as getting their own products in the ware-house. THEN 9-11 hit...it dramatically affected many of the seller's (mine included) so I phased out of my business. Fast-forward a handfull of years and that company went belly-up. Many times it just takes one thing or several, seemingly smaller things and a business can no longer function. Those restaurants need to be able to pay their workers and if no one is coming (for whatever the reason) they can't keep their doors open indefinitely.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:09 AM

Demshars quality food was horrible.. poor presentation. Customer service mediocre at its best...... The price of their dishes was fine but not a single time we visited we were satisfied..... we gave them many opportunities.... They needed to learn from The Chop House.

Neither of the three restaurants were any good......... just mediocre........ Hopefully some High end restaurant will take over their space....
Old 09-12-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
What one has to ask is in 2019 how many times did one frequent the three restaurants. I’ll go first

Too Jays SS once

Demshars SS twice

Cody’s Zero

Let’s throw in KBs Since 2007 have been there 3 times

None of these was about cost, for us it’s the food, nothing spectacular just a average. So we definitely didn’t contribute to keeping them open
Let’s be truthful. If most of the restaurant’s in TV were located in any major city they would not survive. The food in the great majority of theses restaurants is average a best and many below average. The old saying “invent a better mouse trap an the world will beat a path to your door”. If these restaurants put out better quality I don’t think they would be in as much trouble. I believe what your seeing right now is a shake out and those that put out poor quality and service will not survive.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbone1 View Post
Restaurants closing and opening under new ownership and new names is a constant thing in that particular business. The catch is, none of them will make it if they are not supported. I recently spent three weeks outside the villages in two different states. Ate in restaurants that were at least 50% full or more. Nowhere did I see the paranoia that exists in the villages with regard to COVID-19. A virus that now should be in the rearview mirror based on how the number of cases and deaths have dropped so significantly nationwide. Do you want things to get back to normal? Then start acting like it!
Until about a month ago we did not feel comfortable given the virus of eating at a restaurant so we did takeout of food we could reheat and feel safe.

Now we are back to our normal routine of 1-2x a week but only restaurants that take this seriously.

Very sorry if good restaurants close during these times but our safety comes first. People here are older and at more risk of dying if they catch the virus so do you expect them to dine out to support a restaurant at potential risk of their lives?
Old 09-12-2020, 07:44 AM

Well the negative comments, will be from those who consistently make them...then they will complain there is no restaurants to go to next...Covid has made life difficult for all, but kicking a business when it’s down....really, smdh
Closed Thread

Tags
spanish, springs, restaurants, week, toojays

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.