Tierra del sol very disappointing

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Default Tierra del sol very disappointing

My wife and I ate at Tierra Del Sol tonight. I must say it was the worst dining experience we have since we moved here in June 2010. The food was mediocre at best and expensive. The service was terrible. We had to ask for more lemon for our beverages, because what they brought was all peel - no juice. The bread was stale and when we asked the waitress to take it back and bring us another loaf, she was indignant, but complied. The turkey meat was good. The dressing was terrible. The mashed potatoes were bland. Liver and onions were so-so. My wife did not like the wine sauce on the liver. After finishing eating, we had to wait 15 minutes for our tab. We will not eat there again.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Sage

You caught it on a COLD Night, try it again in about a month and it will be your favorite place in TV - that's how things are done in TV's country club restaurants; sometimes they are great and other times they are terrible.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-23-2011, 07:17 PM

Tierra is my "local" restaurant and I would love to patronise such a convenient location

However, after five meals there - four of which were awful and one just about acceptable - I have given up on them

Meals 1 and 2 were far too salty - I told the waitress that the food was basically good, but ruined by too much salt, but she just said that it was what people wanted. There is salt on the table if people want to add more, but you cannot take excess salt away. And with many people suffering from high blood pressure, too much salt is the last thing they need.

Meal 3 was the "special" fish - special in that it had obviously been stewing for at least an hour. Sure, I wasn't there at 5.30 but fish takes so little time to cook it should be prepared fresh for each diner, not batch-cooked ahead of time then kept warm.

Meal 4 - the pasta - was okay. Nothing exceptional, but certainly edible.

Meal 5 was a disaster from start to finish - the music was so loud the waitress took three attempts to hear our order; several things we wanted to order were "off' - including several "specials" and, believe it or not, baked potatoes! And the waitress was so tired that she kept forgetting what she was doing, then took ages to bring the check after we'd asked for it, twice.

Sorry Tierra, we tried but you let us down too often.

Last edited by cybermuda; 03-23-2011 at 07:18 PM. Reason: extra word deleted
Old 03-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Gold member
Default Restaurant managers

Are all of you reading these posts?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:26 PM

My favorite place to eat and the food is always good is at my house. The plates are always hot ,food is cooked to our perfection,wine is cheap,company is great, no bad waiters or other patrons,tips stay in my pocket,no waiting and we both work to prepare the grilling and cleanup,and no travel time or waiting time. Have a good day
Old 03-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Sage

Doubt it.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post
Tierra is my "local" restaurant and I would love to patronise such a convenient location

However, after five meals there - four of which were awful and one just about acceptable - I have given up on them

Meals 1 and 2 were far too salty - I told the waitress that the food was basically good, but ruined by too much salt, but she just said that it was what people wanted. There is salt on the table if people want to add more, but you cannot take excess salt away. And with many people suffering from high blood pressure, too much salt is the last thing they need.

Meal 3 was the "special" fish - special in that it had obviously been stewing for at least an hour. Sure, I wasn't there at 5.30 but fish takes so little time to cook it should be prepared fresh for each diner, not batch-cooked ahead of time then kept warm.

Meal 4 - the pasta - was okay. Nothing exceptional, but certainly edible.

Meal 5 was a disaster from start to finish - the music was so loud the waitress took three attempts to hear our order; several things we wanted to order were "off' - including several "specials" and, believe it or not, baked potatoes! And the waitress was so tired that she kept forgetting what she was doing, then took ages to bring the check after we'd asked for it, twice.

Sorry Tierra, we tried but you let us down too often.
I think this is an excellent post. You have certainly been clear about what is disappointing and what the reaction was to your comments.

Thank you for guiding us.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:22 AM
Veteran member

All these posts.....we need a secret restaraunt reviewer for the Sun. Except TV owns the Sun and perhaps the restaraunts under review......

TV Gourmet Club to the rescue?
Old 03-24-2011, 06:51 AM
Sage
Default Disappointing to hear

This is really disappointing to hear. The extent of our dining experience at Tierra this winter is my wife and I sometimes split a Reuben after golf at the bar, no complaints to date, but hardly the same thing as dining out. We were looking forward to dining there soon after what happened last Sunday.

Something nice happened to us after golf as we were sitting at the bar for our post round ...ummmm... golf analysis. Along comes a gentleman named Pete who introduced himself as the owner. He was very gracious, he told us many stories, some about the place since he had taken over and how bad (and dirty) it was before and how good (he felt) it is now. As we chatted he brought some Irish soda bread (warm) and later cream puff for each of us (another bad diet day in TV for Alan). Both were very good. He says his crab cakes are spectacular.... We really enjoyed his company and were looking forward to trying the place out.

We are working on finding a night when "the gang" could make it at a time when there would not be loud music (does anyone really like loud music with dinner??). This thread has cooled my enthusiasm a bit. My wife and I will still try the Tierra experience for ourselves, but maybe not invite the whole gang until we have verified it is any good.

Thanks for the insights, next time I see Pete I will make sure he knows of TOTV!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedoman View Post
All these posts.....we need a secret restaraunt reviewer for the Sun. Except TV owns the Sun and perhaps the restaraunts under review......

I took our visitors to the Japanese restaurant in LSL last Thursday and we had an excellent meal - at the hibachi table. I had the steak and salmon and both were delicious.

We have also eaten in the "normal" part of the restaurant a couple of times, and that has been pretty good too.

Even at this time of the year you can be seated almost immediately - probably because a lot of people think of Japanese food as just being raw fish
Old 03-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedoman View Post

TOTV isn't owned by the TV. This is a good place for the secret reviewer.

JLK
Old 04-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithgerri View Post
My favorite place to eat and the food is always good is at my house. The plates are always hot ,food is cooked to our perfection,wine is cheap,company is great, no bad waiters or other patrons,tips stay in my pocket,no waiting and we both work to prepare the grilling and cleanup,and no travel time or waiting time. Have a good day
And..what is your address? I'd like to make a reservation. LOL

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 04-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety Bird View Post
And..what is your address? I'd like to make a reservation. LOL
The Villages FloridaSorry to tell have to tell you this Tweety, but I don't think I saw bird seed on the menu when we last dined at the Keithgerri Restaurant.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 04-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Default Not so good for us either

We loved going to Tierra del Sol because they had the best desserts, which were included with your meal. I didn't feel bad about paying a bit more for the basic meals because I new I would be sooo happy with the cream puff. Alas, we were dissapointed to find a small note on the wall (we were waiting for our friends to arrived or we wouldn't have noticed to note) that there is now a cover charge or minimum order required on nights when they provide entertainment (which is every night). I was ok with this because I would hardly wait for dessert. The bill came but no dessert. When I asked about this, the waiter was insulted and ranted on about the money the owner wasted giving out free desserts. If I wanted a dessert, order one. That is what he told me. Well. now this restaurant is not on my list of faves anymore. Basic food, cover charge, and no free cream puff. What where they thinking?
Old 05-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Jeff Bieberfeld
Thumbs down the same

we were also disappointed; were sat on the patio as we love to eat outside. then they could not figure out how to operate the fans and we were sweating....
finaly the fans were working, and then the lizards were running across the baseboards....
and the food was not good either.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.