Tipping?

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2016, 11:05 AM
Veteran member
Default Tipping?

Currently it appears that the recommended tip for good service at a sit down restaurant is 20%. I see more and more restaurants like Chili's, etc. are going to a tablet ordering system...you place your order at your table on a tablet that is provided. The server then brings your order to you. After your meal, you see your check on this same tablet, self swipe your credit card and your done.

My question is....is the same 20% tip considered acceptable / recommended?

Just curious....
Old 04-28-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44125 View Post
Currently it appears that the recommended tip for good service at a sit down restaurant is 20%. I see more and more restaurants like Chili's, etc. are going to a tablet ordering system...you place your order at your table on a tablet that is provided. The server then brings your order to you. After your meal, you see your check on this same tablet, self swipe your credit card and your done.

Just curious....

No service, no tip. I also don't tip when I get my morning coffee at McDonalds. I tip very well for good service, and it is more and more rare. (I wont bring up the $15 min. wage...wait, I just did).
Old 04-28-2016, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I never felt that writing the order was a big part of the tip. Getting the order right, followup if there is an issue with the food, periodically checking back and timely delivery of the product as ordered drives my policy. In the tablet scenario, if the food is delivered and I don't see a server again then the tip will be adjusted down. If the server meets my other requirements then it stays the same. I expect that many restaurants will try to hold down their costs by implementing technology and I personally am ok with that.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-28-2016, 11:32 AM
Sage

Tipping is a personal thing. Tip as you feel appropriate based on the service you receive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44125 View Post

Just curious....
Old 04-28-2016, 11:39 AM

Sure a wait person is part of a tip. It starts at the door - then getting water. But the staff is key (lets me know of specials)...and in some instances, ruin a place for instance "Takis Greek Italian Restaurant" - the waitress was terrible, the hostess was super nice (hostess was a better server than the server). I went once, and will never go back....not just because of the mediocre food - but because the waitress was so incompetant (you mean an appetizer comes BEFORE the meal??)

Back on topic, as a foodie I try to not go to the "chains", and thus dont run into the table kiosks...but, when I do - tip is altered and not into the favor of the server (because that is all they are, a server - I want an "advisor")
Old 04-28-2016, 11:56 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I never felt that writing the order was a big part of the tip. Getting the order right, followup if there is an issue with the food, periodically checking back and timely delivery of the product as ordered drives my policy. In the tablet scenario, if the food is delivered and I don't see a server again then the tip will be adjusted down. If the server meets my other requirements then it stays the same. I expect that many restaurants will try to hold down their costs by implementing technology and I personally am ok with that.

And I like tablet ordering as it assures the order is written correctly!!
Old 04-28-2016, 12:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,042 Times in 369 Posts

If all went well during my visit to a restaurant with respect to service, I would tip at least 20% regardless of how I ordered the meal or how I paid for it. I don't hold servers responsible for the actions of others, hostess/cooks/mgrs etc.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:10 PM

A tip is just that. Something freely given as a reward for good service. It's not an excuse to subsidize wages or anything else, it is a reward that can be earned but it is freely given. Whoever came up with this or that acceptable percentage led us astray but it has caught on and become the norm...whatever that is...and most of us play the game.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
If all went well during my visit to a restaurant with respect to service, I would tip at least 20% regardless of how I ordered the meal or how I paid for it. I don't hold servers responsible for the actions of others, hostess/cooks/mgrs etc.
"TEAM" - the waitstaff is the representative of the establishment. They also more often than not "tip share". Wrong food? Blame the chef? No, I blame the representative. I tip for service (far over 400% on occasions) - no service, no tip. Kiosk at the table, lower tip.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member

45 years ago I attempted to leave Dangerfields nightclub with a less then adequate tip. I was met at the exit door by two very large and very mean looking men. I went back to my table and left more of a tip. I was then allowed to leave. Stupid kid learned quick.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
45 years ago I attempted to leave Dangerfields nightclub with a less then adequate tip. I was met at the exit door by two very large and very mean looking men. I went back to my table and left more of a tip. I was then allowed to leave. Stupid kid learned quick.
That wasn't a tip you left.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
LOL - I hope there were "Hooters"...
Old 04-28-2016, 04:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,042 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record10ti View Post
"TEAM" - the waitstaff is the representative of the establishment. They also more often than not "tip share". Wrong food? Blame the chef? No, I blame the representative. I tip for service (far over 400% on occasions) - no service, no tip. Kiosk at the table, lower tip.
Well, thankfully I decide what service pleases me and how I spend (tip) my money. If people want to look for reasons to stiff a good server because of the actions of others, that's their choice.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
That was you? Damn I'm sorry! LOL
Old 04-28-2016, 11:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Well, thankfully I decide what service pleases me and how I spend (tip) my money. If people want to look for reasons to stiff a good server because of the actions of others, that's their choice.
You hit the nail on the head with that one. I am amazed with the number of CHEAP people I have seen in The Villages.
Closed Thread

Tags
tablet, 20%, order, recommended, tip, check, server, meal, brings, swipe, considered, acceptable, curious, question, provided, credit, card, appears, restaurants, good, service, restaurant, sit, chilis, place

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.