Toojays corned beef

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2017, 04:53 PM
Gold member
Default Toojays corned beef

Second time we took corned beef home from the deli counter. Second time it looks like they dumped an end on us and even sliced it with the grain, a serious corned beef gaff that makes it tougher. Strike out, bye bye
Old 08-08-2017, 05:30 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneycat View Post
Second time we took corned beef home from the deli counter. Second time it looks like they dumped an end on us and even sliced it with the grain, a serious corned beef gaff that makes it tougher. Strike out, bye bye
We went to Too Jays once a few years back. I ordered the corned beef & swiss on rye. I didn't like it all. We have never gone back.
Not to say that some of their food isn't good, I don't know. It just never seemed to be a place we wanted to frequent.
I know others like it, so that's a good thing. I never want anyone to close.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Are the TooJays different in service and quality here in the Villages? We have only been to the one in Sumter Landing but my Mom sometimes goes to the one in Spanish Springs after golfing up in the northern area of the Villages. And the one in Brownwood is quite a trip. The Villages | TooJays
Old 08-08-2017, 09:46 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

I like their liverwurst sandwich.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-08-2017, 11:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

It is my favorite place for a great meal. Never made it to the one in Lake Sumter yet. The liverwurst sandwich is fantastic and the bread reminds me of where we used to live. Service is great.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:44 PM
Platinum member
Cool Talking to wrong people.

I love the food at TooJays. I prefer the one at Spanish Springs Town Square. Perhaps because they have an outdoor dining area where you can listen to entertainment from the Square.

My favorite meal is a beef/cabbage soup that they offer as a special on one day a week. (Some days there is some still left over the next day. Still just as good.)

The breakfast meals are really great. At lunch I enjoy a variety of their deli sandwiches, especially the hot pastrami.

They have a lot of great salads too.

If someone has an issue with a meal provided, that person should ask the management to correct the problem. Just jumping on a social media board and complaining doesn't get the job done. It simply appears petty and vengeful.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

TooJays fan here too. Enough with the grandmother jabs Allegiance.

My favorite thing at TooJays is their half brisket sandwich served with horseradish sauce and the Cabbage Vegetable soup only served on Wednesday.

TODAY is Wednesday and I have a pedicure appointment just down the street at 5:30....I will tell the fam that dinner tonight is at TooJays.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:55 AM
Veteran member

QUOTE=Bonny;1433864]We went to Too Jays once a few years back. I ordered the corned beef & swiss on rye. I didn't like it all. We have never gone back.
Not to say that some of their food isn't good, I don't know. It just never seemed to be a place we wanted to frequent.
I know others like it, so that's a good thing. I never want anyone to close.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
I love the food at TooJays. I prefer the one at Spanish Springs Town Square. Perhaps because they have an outdoor dining area where you can listen to entertainment from the Square.

My favorite meal is a beef/cabbage soup that they offer as a special on one day a week. (Some days there is some still left over the next day. Still just as good.)

The breakfast meals are really great. At lunch I enjoy a variety of their deli sandwiches, especially the hot pastrami.

They have a lot of great salads too.

If someone has an issue with a meal provided, that person should ask the management to correct the problem. Just jumping on a social media board and complaining doesn't get the job done. It simply appears petty and vengeful.
Carl, you are so right and what you said is what I've always said. If someone has a justifiable complaint about food in a restaurant, an item in a store, a repair that didn't work, etc. . . .
If you don't take your complaint to a manager or someone higher up the ladder of management, you are simply slandering that business and your complaint serves no purpose.

I am sure if the OP went back to Two Jays with the corned beef or even called and explained the situation, there is no doubt in my mind it would have been rectified.

Going a step further, going to a restaurant only once, is not a barometer for deciding if the place is good or not. Bonny -- what was wrong with your sandwich? You didn't say. And it sounds like that is the reason you've never been back.

Their chopped liver is excellent and so is their corned beef and pastrami. They have the best rye bread ever! Their soups are great and are all home made and their stuffed cabbage is what anyone's grandmother made years ago.

I could go on but you get the picture. I am not saying they have a few things I don't care for, but that's my taste and doesn't mean there is anything wrong with whatever it is.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:01 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Toojay's does a terrible imitation of a New York Deli
Old 08-09-2017, 04:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
When you consider the difference in the ethnic population, that's probably a major part of why there is such a difference.

Go to southeast Florida and you will see a something similar.
In these areas, the public demands better because they are used to better.

All this being said, the bottom line is that Two Jays does do certain things well.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Toojay's is in Florida, not NY which makes a comparison meaningless..
Old 08-09-2017, 06:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swooner View Post
Toojay's is in Florida, not NY which makes a comparison meaningless..
Why
Old 08-09-2017, 07:22 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
QUOTE=Bonny;1433864]We went to Too Jays once a few years back. I ordered the corned beef & swiss on rye. I didn't like it all. We have never gone back.
I know others like it, so that's a good thing. I never want anyone to close.

[/QUOTE]Carl, you are so right and what you said is what I've always said. If someone has a justifiable complaint about food in a restaurant, an item in a store, a repair that didn't work, etc. . . .
If you don't take your complaint to a manager or someone higher up the ladder of management, you are simply slandering that business and your complaint serves no purpose.

I am sure if the OP went back to Two Jays with the corned beef or even called and explained the situation, there is no doubt in my mind it would have been rectified.

Going a step further, going to a restaurant only once, is not a barometer for deciding if the place is good or not. Bonny -- what was wrong with your sandwich? You didn't say. And it sounds like that is the reason you've never been back.

Their chopped liver is excellent and so is their corned beef and pastrami. They have the best rye bread ever! Their soups are great and are all home made and their stuffed cabbage is what anyone's grandmother made years ago.

I could go on but you get the picture. I am not saying they have a few things I don't care for, but that's my taste and doesn't mean there is anything wrong with whatever it is.[/QUOTE]

I just didn't like the flavor or the texture of their corned beef. There was nothing to complain about to a manager. I ate it. It was probably my taste. I certainly wasn't bashing the restaurant. I have friends that love it there. That's great. I want everyone to stay in business. We never went back mostly because we just aren't deli people.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:25 AM

""New York Delis" are a unique creation that have been copied all over the country. They are far and few between since the demographics of our cities have changed. Too Jays is not a NY style deli, rather a concept developed in Florida. Their success is obvious, their number of stores continue to grow based on their success. Having spent my entire business career in Midtown Manhattan I saw many NY delis close, usually due to increased overhead and demographic changes I find TooJays an acceptable substitute for a "real NY style" deli.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
If someone has a justifiable complaint about food in a restaurant, an item in a store, a repair that didn't work, etc. . . .
To be slander, it has to be untrue. So, the OP did not slander the business. And the complaint does serve a purpose, just like any review of a business, it informs people of someone's customer experience. Just as the glowing recommendations do the same.

I'm always humored by the posts berating others for not bringing the problem up with management. I almost never do that. It's management's job to see that I don't have a problem. If I don't get good quality for my expense, I make note of it. If it's bad enough, I don't go back. Not my job to tell management how to run their business.
Closed Thread

Tags
beef, corned, bye, time, grain

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.