TooJays Spanish Springs

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2020, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,938 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Entire chain, announced on April 30th.........right after they received $6mil in PPP funds. That part will be interesting as well.
They filed for bankruptcy but last I heard they want to remain in business. Guess they will close unprofitable stores
Old 09-10-2020, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,938 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
There was an article in a paper (I don't remember which one, I don't even remember if it was a local one or not) back in early May about TooJay's closing shop. Not just ours but the entire chain. I'd love to see a REAL deli move in to that spot - was not fond at all of TooJay's pastrami melts. It was just boiled pastrami, not grilled as it should be. The grease should've been dripping down the side of my hand when I picked it up. Plus it wasn't thin-sliced, so if you took a bite, you'd end up with half the meat being yanked out from between the bread.

The knishes were okay. Not great, but okay.
Sorry but who grills pastrami?

It should be boiled with appropriate spices which will render out most of the fat.

After finished cooking let it rest and then slice very thin on slicing machine.

It tends to be kind of a fatty meat but dripping down the side of your hand is not a good thing.

Toojays had good burgers and chicken breasts, do not care for their style of knishes prefer a flatter square one such as Gabilla supplies but unfortunately will not ship here here and knishes at Publix is hit and miss and rather expensive (double what we paid in NJ).
Old 09-10-2020, 03:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Figured they filed under bankruptcy cutting losses. With high rents more will close unfortunately. Was my go to place for occasional Liverwurst or Pastrami sandwich. Now I make my own Pastrami. Similar to Katz Deli N.Y..
Hmmm. Closing because of high rents, and not because people started making their own pastrami and stopped going.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:54 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Most Villagers think a Deli is either a WAWA or Subway weighing there portions a true Deli gives you Quality and Quantity and might cost a little more. You will never be disappointed visiting a neighborhood Italian Market fresh cut meat on Fresh Italian Bread or Hard Roll. Currently Jersey Mikes is a much better sub than Subway/WAWA in my book til something better shows up.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:00 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Hmmm. Closing because of high rents, and not because people started making their own pastrami and stopped going.
I started making my own Pastrami when restaurants were restricted, as a challenge to myself for something to due also started making my own Mild Italian Sausage.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:06 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post

It should be boiled with appropriate spices which will render out most of the fat.

It tends to be kind of a fatty meat but dripping down the side of your hand is not a good thing.

Toojays had good burgers and chicken breasts, do not care for their style of knishes prefer a flatter square one such as Gabilla supplies but unfortunately will not ship here here and knishes at Publix is hit and miss and rather expensive (double what we paid in NJ).
Glad to hear someone else who knows Pastrami. I have had it grilled B4 but preferred Steamed on good Seeded Rye, Swiss, Deli mustard and Half Sour Pickle on the side.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:16 PM
Platinum member

This location will be empty for a long time. Until the restaurant traffic picks up in a post-COVID-19 world, no company in their right mind would open a new location. I bet at least one or two restaurants in SS will close permanently.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

I would like to know the source of the high rent comments.
An urban legend!!
Old 09-10-2020, 04:25 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I would like to know the source of the high rent comments.
An urban legend!!

I asked 1963, no answer...........just spreading crap.

Old 09-10-2020, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Most Villagers think a Deli is either a WAWA or Subway weighing there portions a true Deli gives you Quality and Quantity and might cost a little more. up.
With as many who with came from NY or traveled there just for deli, many know what a deli sandwich is. We do have more than a few from Jewish community who orders bagels, lox, bread, meats, and so on from NY. Our family never visits without bringing fresh bagel and lox
Old 09-10-2020, 04:57 PM
Gold member

Since the Developer is finding it difficult to rent office space 2nd floor locations, asking Lady Lake to re zone. There is plenty of off Villages Property under Construction and being occupied. Questioning my Eye/Surgeon Dr why he did not build within golf cart access he advised Business Rental charges/fees to costly. There also was a proposed Bowling Alley planned for Brownwood which was offered to the current owner of both Bowling Alleys Spanish Springs also same issue, Bowling being so popular why haven’t some one else jumped at it. The Villages Business advises that there is over $10 Billion in buying power problem maybe no ones spending.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:00 PM
Gold member

You should be blessed with such a great family.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:01 PM

My opinion. TooJays was way overrated. Here in The Villages most of their food is prepared at a central location, frozen. Delivered here just like, Cheney Bros, Sisco etc.

Back in the kitchen it is zapped. Buh Bye. No Loss.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post

Yes it's boiled. And then you slice it wafer-thin. And THEN you grill it on a flat grilling pan on the stove, until it starts getting crispy around the edges. Then you bunch it up, toss swiss cheese on top and slide it off the pan when the cheese just starts to melt, onto a GRILLED buttered piece of rye bread, toss some sliced raw red onion on that, then top it with another buttered piece of rye bread. Then you flip that bad boy over back onto the grill to grill that second piece of bread, smushing it down so that it'll fit in your mouth when you take a bite and so that the cheese melting from the heat of the smushing makes the bread, onions, and meat all get "glued" together. No mustard. Just eat.

It's called a Pastrami Special and it was the specialty of a diner my dad used to take us to when we lived in Hamden, CT.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Hmmm. Now there's ground floor space for apartments in SS.......

Tags
closed, permanently, spanish, springs, toojays

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.