TooJays Spanish Springs

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2020, 06:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Hmmm. Now there's ground floor space for apartments in SS.......
The Sharon is next on the list.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Bummer, we enjoyed having an occasional breakfast there. It will be missed. Hopefully the town squares won't all wind up being a shell of what they were before the pandemic.

Without the entertainment, the Sharon, the movie theater, Katie Belles, or the old farmers market, I can see why it would be very difficult for any business to survive these days in Spanish Springs.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
Macallisters in Brownwood Square has good deli sandwiches.

good to know...thanks for sharing
Old 09-10-2020, 06:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post

IMO I seriously doubt that
Old 09-10-2020, 08:48 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Figured they filed under bankruptcy cutting losses. With high rents more will close unfortunately. Was my go to place for occasional Liverwurst or Pastrami sandwich. Now I make my own Pastrami. Similar to Katz Deli N.Y..
I've been to the SS location 2 times this year. Both times it was less than 1/3 full.
TooJay's filed for bankruptcy. So did Sweet Tomatoes - they closed their Hwy 441 location. Was that because the rent was too high? SteinMart is closing.
TooJay's in Brownwood and Lake Sumter remain open.
Yet some people want to blame The Developer.
Maybe you should criticize people for not supporting local businesses. Because when you don't, they go out of business.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Since the Developer is finding it difficult to rent office space 2nd floor locations, asking Lady Lake to re zone. There is plenty of off Villages Property under Construction and being occupied. Questioning my Eye/Surgeon Dr why he did not build within golf cart access he advised Business Rental charges/fees to costly. There also was a proposed Bowling Alley planned for Brownwood which was offered to the current owner of both Bowling Alleys Spanish Springs also same issue, Bowling being so popular why haven’t some one else jumped at it. The Villages Business advises that there is over $10 Billion in buying power problem maybe no ones spending.
Not all business plans can support locations where they would prefer to be, if someone can't generate the revenue and profit to support costs they must look for other places to locate. The problem in SS is the changing demographics IMO. Hopefully the apartment direction will have a positive impact but only time will tell.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-10-2020, 11:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
The Sharon doesn't rely solely on the residents of SS, or in fact, the residents of The Villages. Prior to the restrictions both The Sharon and The Savannah were doing well. When we have gone to The Studio it was usually at least 75% occupied and many times sold out. Prices have increased but people still love their entertainment.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-11-2020, 01:53 AM
Veteran member
Default TooJays purchased

TooJay’s Deli has a new owner, emerges from bankruptcy protection
Old 09-11-2020, 04:48 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

If no one eats out, more restaurants will close. They need to make money to stay in business. For all the people who want to hide out in their closets, when you come out, they will not be there.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:54 AM
Default Don't touch that dial....or blintz

Too Jay's may not be history...according to the Sun Sentinel Too Jay's is emerging from Bankruptcy..," Investment by the company’s new owner, Monroe Capital LLC, will enable the company to move forward debt free, according to a news release."
Old 09-11-2020, 05:00 AM
Default Saving Favorite Restaurants without personal risk

Please consider a gift card purchase at your favorite restaurant that can be held until you feel safe to dine out again. Turners Kitchen and Bar in Leesburg is an exquisite restaurant that is challenged in this pandemic. I bought a sizable gift card some time ago that they are holding for me. Until I feel safe again, Turners can use the money now to help them manage.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Yes it's boiled. And then you slice it wafer-thin. And THEN you grill it on a flat grilling pan on the stove, until it starts getting crispy around the edges. Then you bunch it up, toss swiss cheese on top and slide it off the pan when the cheese just starts to melt, onto a GRILLED buttered piece of rye bread, toss some sliced raw red onion on that, then top it with another buttered piece of rye bread. Then you flip that bad boy over back onto the grill to grill that second piece of bread, smushing it down so that it'll fit in your mouth when you take a bite and so that the cheese melting from the heat of the smushing makes the bread, onions, and meat all get "glued" together. No mustard. Just eat.

It's called a Pastrami Special and it was the specialty of a diner my dad used to take us to when we lived in Hamden, CT.
i thought that sounded familiar. i worked with a veterinarian who was from hamden, she raved about the pastrami
Old 09-11-2020, 05:46 AM
Default Toojays

Any idea where you can get chopped chicken liver schemer and matzo ball soup?
Old 09-11-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
Please consider a gift card purchase at your favorite restaurant that can be held until you feel safe to dine out again. Turners Kitchen and Bar in Leesburg is an exquisite restaurant that is challenged in this pandemic. I bought a sizable gift card some time ago that they are holding for me. Until I feel safe again, Turners can use the money now to help them manage.
As long as you are willing to consider that a possible donation. If a restaurant goes belly up, the gift card you are holding becomes worthless. Ditto for any business selling gift cards.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanTho View Post
My opinion. TooJays was way overrated. Here in The Villages most of their food is prepared at a central location, frozen. Delivered here just like, Cheney Bros, Sisco etc.

Back in the kitchen it is zapped. Buh Bye. No Loss.
Ate there 3 times. Three lousy meals. Three strikes and you're out. I think many people eat out In TV just to eat out, not too many with discerning palates! Most restaurants mediocre at best and that’s being generous.
Closed Thread

Tags
closed, permanently, spanish, springs, toojays

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.