Closed Thread
Old 10-03-2020, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Corn chips. Very tasty.
Best when topped with chili..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 10-03-2020, 02:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

I appreciate seeing employees and managers at restaurants around here correctly wearing masks. I accept, however, that it's not mandated, because Florida likes doing things their way. And so employees and managers aren't required to wear them, the decision is up to whoever runs their company.

What I absolutely do NOT like, is seeing employees and managers wearing masks INcorrectly. It's insulting to me. If you're not going to do it right, just take the damned thing off and stop pretending you care one way or another.

This was the unfortunate situation at Moe's yesterday. Only one employee had the mask covering their mouth and nose. One had the mask hanging down at her neck, and the other two employees had their masks down over their mouths only.

There is also one employee at Firehouse Subs who continually wears her mask under her nose, instead of on it. I actually complained about that, when the pandemic was at its height. The manager assured me that he had supplied employees with masks - in a variety of types and styles, and instructions on how to wear them, and they were expected to comply.

It's one thing to not be able to enforce these rules with your customers. I get that, it's a risk of trying to demand compliance from someone you don't know. It's another thing to disregard the rules your own employer has laid out for you, as a paid employee representing him and his company.
Old 10-03-2020, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Assume you have your tickets for the squares
No, but because......

1) I've only been to the squares for entertainment once in the last 5 years, and
2) Even if I wanted to, it's not worth the hoops you have to jump through to get a pass

But assuming your question was directed at whether I would personally attend an event with relatively large numbers of people, I can say I will be at the Sharon next Sunday

Look, everyone should do what they need to to feel safe, within reason. Some people are not all that reasonable. Just an hour ago some guy was yelling at a woman at the mailboxes for not wearing a mask. There were 5 people there and no one was wearing a mask, and nobody should have been. The media and government has pounded mask use into everybody's head ad nauseum, but the reality and science of the situation is that masks have very limited utility and then only in specific situations. I'm sure people will dispute that statement, but they would be wrong. The best defense at this time is social distancing. It is very difficult to contract the virus from 6 feet away. The other defense is for those with symptoms to stay home until the are tested and quarantine if positive. (please don't post any BS about asymptomatic carriers, it isn't really much of an issue, and a non-issue at 6 feet)
Old 10-03-2020, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Best when topped with chili..
Than they would get soggy and not worth eating. Better to get them on the side so they are still crunchy
Old 10-03-2020, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
No, but because......

1) I've only been to the squares for entertainment once in the last 5 years, and
2) Even if I wanted to, it's not worth the hoops you have to jump through to get a pass

But assuming your question was directed at whether I would personally attend an event with relatively large numbers of people, I can say I will be at the Sharon next Sunday

Look, everyone should do what they need to to feel safe, within reason. Some people are not all that reasonable. Just an hour ago some guy was yelling at a woman at the mailboxes for not wearing a mask. There were 5 people there and no one was wearing a mask, and nobody should have been. The media and government has pounded mask use into everybody's head ad nauseum, but the reality and science of the situation is that masks have very limited utility and then only in specific situations. I'm sure people will dispute that statement, but they would be wrong. The best defense at this time is social distancing. It is very difficult to contract the virus from 6 feet away. The other defense is for those with symptoms to stay home until the are tested and quarantine if positive. (please don't post any BS about asymptomatic carriers, it isn't really much of an issue, and a non-issue at 6 feet)
I respect your expertise Doc, but the mask wearing to me is a matter of self responsibility. It is a small thing to ask and we have heard it is a good thing to do from people I respect like Dr's Fauci and Birx. I am quite surprised that you don't support it completely too. But since there are three of us at our house at high risk, two from age and one with a serious congenital circulation and hypertension issue, we will just wait and hope that a vaccine will at least keep us from death. Living is so much fun, even if we aren't going out to dinner or drinking at the squares.

I have never once thought to tell another person to wear a mask. I have seen few who don't wear them here in The Villages.

We had a take out pizza the night before last and that was our first time to have food I didn't prepare since our friends got sick in March. I don't mind. I like to cook.

I believe all of medical science is behind the information curve and that it is no one's fault. This issue is going to take some time to get iron clad answers on I think. I am not a medical person at all. Nor am I germaphobic. Just a gal that loves her family and friends and wants for them to be safe and alive.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
No, but because......

I know we all believe what we believe.....my PCP and Cardiologist both are on the mask bandwagon and social distancing. They agree that if I wear a mask it won't help me much but it will help those around me so I will wear one. It's interesting that they also believe asymptomatic carriers are the biggest threat. Now granted, I am 76 so am in that age group and our conversations were around my risk but they both said they do not go inside any building without a mask. Personal decisions.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-03-2020, 04:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I know we all believe what we believe.....my PCP and Cardiologist both are on the mask bandwagon and social distancing. They agree that if I wear a mask it won't help me much but it will help those around me so I will wear one. It's interesting that they also believe asymptomatic carriers are the biggest threat. Now granted, I am 76 so am in that age group and our conversations were around my risk but they both said they do not go inside any building without a mask. Personal decisions.
There's going to be a difference of opinion on this, even among medical professionals. I agree that the mask won't help you much, but it does afford some protection if someone coughs near your face. It will only help those around you IF:
1) you are coughing and sneezing and spewing out droplets, and then only IF
2) you are COVID positive and in the infectious stage, and the IF
3) you are closer than 6 feet or so

I'd be interested in knowing why they think asymptomatic carriers are a huge threat, since they only meet one of the above criteria. Also, there are buildings and there are buildings---Jersey Mikes with 20 people packed in or an aircraft hangar with 2 people?
Everyone should take reasonable precautions. Wearing a mask is reasonable, it's just been oversold by the media as to how effective it is. Social distancing should have been emphasized more, since it is clearly effective. And because masks have been oversold, I'm afraid people wearing one will be lax on distancing.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
There's going to be a difference of opinion on this, even among medical professionals. I agree that the mask won't help you much, but it does afford some protection if someone coughs near your face. It will only help those around you IF:
1) you are coughing and sneezing and spewing out droplets, and then only IF
2) you are COVID positive and in the infectious stage, and the IF
3) you are closer than 6 feet or so

I'd be interested in knowing why they think asymptomatic carriers are a huge threat, since they only meet one of the above criteria. Also, there are buildings and there are buildings---Jersey Mikes with 20 people packed in or an aircraft hangar with 2 people?
Everyone should take reasonable precautions. Wearing a mask is reasonable, it's just been oversold by the media as to how effective it is. Social distancing should have been emphasized more, since it is clearly effective. And because masks have been oversold, I'm afraid people wearing one will be lax on distancing.
You are correct with the use of IF....I do believe that coughs and sneezes spew droplets, and not everyone knows if they are positive so they don't know what they are spewing and 6' is now in question as being a safe distance. Since everyone picks and chooses their beliefs the squares will be full. And while you believe what some of us believe is just BS, we could turn that around but I won't, but would be nice it you disagreed without taking a personal shot at those that have different views.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-03-2020, 07:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

I will ask because nobody else did..... The OP asked " Are TV Restaurants safe?" Well my question is are you safe? Where are you coming from and is a self quarantine called for before you start going around any place? OP certainly doesn't have to answer any questions from me. I was just kinda looking at things differently. We canceled a lot of plans because of all the rules.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:39 PM

Personal choice and live with the consequences. Beleive the science or beleive your President, your choice. I will tell you his way appears to not have turned out so well for him! As for my household we have resigned to stay out of ALL restaurants until we deem the coast is clear! Better safe than sorry "and the food I make on my backyard grill is much better" than what the restaurants serve anyway.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

Based on what I have observed I would say the answer is a resounding NO. I went to a Villages restaurant a couple days ago to get takeout, mask on and sanitizer in hand. I walked in the door, took one look, and walked out without picking up the food. I called the restaurant from the parking lot and asked if they would bring my order out curbside and was told they are no longer doing that. I guess they had to eat my order, but I don’t feel guilty about it because of their total lack of safety.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Based on what I have observed I would say the answer is a resounding NO. I went to a Villages restaurant a couple days ago to get takeout, mask on and sanitizer in hand. I walked in the door, took one look, and walked out without picking up the food. I called the restaurant from the parking lot and asked if they would bring my order out curbside and was told they are no longer doing that. I guess they had to eat my order, but I don’t feel guilty about it because of their total lack of safety.
And that's fine, everyone is free to make their own choices. There are several posts that basically state what you just did.

However, in Florida, the governor's office in conjugation with the FDOH and CDC have put out the current guidelines. So those who say they don't agree with them are essentially saying they have more information than the state, or they're smarter, or they can divine the future or something. It's possible, but I wouldn't lay too much money on it.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:55 PM
Default Fritos

Fritos are no good for your health. Puts you in high risk. Catch that Corona and you just don't know.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:54 PM
Gold member

If you actually get out of the bubble and away from The Villages you would know that most restaurants in the state do not require their employees to wear masks.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I feel safer in a restaurant where you can sit in a booth with a high back.
Agree. I really appreciate the restaurants which had added that added protection. The reason they do that is so all of their booths can be used to seat patrons.

Tags
restaurants, safety, favorite, week, safe

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.