Urban Curry - new Indian restaurant

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Default Urban Curry - new Indian restaurant

We had a very good lunch yesterday at Urban Curry, the new Indian restaurant near Belk -- next to the Hallmark store. Six of us ordered different entrees and everyone was pleased. They serve lunch from 11AM to 2PM, then close until 4PM when they open for dinner.

Note! This is not a chain. Mom-and-pop restaurants especially need our support when they are starting up since they have none of the perks of the chains. Give it a try!!!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:38 AM

I have visitors out next week, and the four of us will certainly be visiting this restaurant
Old 03-02-2011, 04:16 PM

Having an Indian in the villages will have made it a total utopia for us brits......Indian is now the uk's most eaten food......I will be there come the end of march...along with the other 23 of us visiting!!
Old 03-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Default Hot Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukgolfer View Post
Having an Indian in the villages will have made it a total utopia for us brits......Indian is now the uk's most eaten food......I will be there come the end of march...along with the other 23 of us visiting!!
I have been advised, when eating out in TV, that one needs to ask for the food to be prepared spicy or you may find it rather bland.

On a scale of 1 to 5, I'd go with a Fore!
Old 03-02-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post
I have been advised, when eating out in TV, that one needs to ask for the food to be prepared spicy or you may find it rather bland.

On a scale of 1 to 5, I'd go with a Fore!
I think that is a good tip....here in the uk you can take the skin off your mouth with our curry's......the hotter the better...epp er2:
Old 03-02-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
When we asked which dishes were spicy, the Urban Curry waitress told us all of their dishes are prepared to your taste. How's that for making everyone happy!!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:35 PM

Looking forward to trying urban curry.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Yes, K9-Lovers will try it, too! Thanks for the tip.

Oh, marybb, your avatar of your cat -- what a beautiful kitty! Welcome to TOTV.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Veteran member

We went to Urban Curry the first week that they were opened. They were filming for the Vmail Newsletter and we were interviewed. Mr. Mac9 made the commercial, only my voice did. The food is good, but I still prefer Amritz Palace or Bay Leaf in Ocala. However, it is so convenient that we will still go there when we're not up to the Ocala ride. When you order, just tell them what level of "hot" that you want. To be sure, I would indicate "Village's" hot or "Indian" hot so that it will be to your liking!
Old 03-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Default Urban Curry

The interior, feels like your in Italy, not India. We were greeted by a white server with really bad teeth, very "country", who kept calling us "love and sweetie". Not very professional/respectful at all. We would ask what was in the dishes. he did not know. We were forewarned by friends who had already been there, that the food took forever and it did. We were there waiting for over an hour for our food. Some people walked out. The manager stood behind the bar and did nothing for the entire hour and half we were there, while the servers tried to figure out how to do their job. The "level of hotness on a scale of 1-10", we all ordered 10 and it wasn't that hot. Before our entree finally came out, they served a salad with ranch dressing, which totally throws off your taste buds when your having indian food. Ranch dressing with indian food? Not good at all. The food/entree (chicken tikka) was good, not nearly as good as the Tandoor in Leesburg, but for the villages, it was good. Will definitely continue making the drive from the Villages to the Tandoor in Leesburg for good indian food, good atmosphere and good service.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ght70 View Post
The food/entree (chicken tikka) was good, not nearly as good as the Tandoor in Leesburg, but for the villages, it was good. Will definitely continue making the drive from the Villages to the Tandoor in Leesburg for good indian food, good atmosphere and good service.
This speaks volumes about our expectations in TV. We have a population of 80,000 but no first rank restaurants. Fine dining requires traveling to either Tampa or Orlando.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:35 AM

are there any good sources of Indian food in TV supermarkets?

we have found mild curry sauces, one small jar of chutney and even, on one occasion, a packet of poppadums, but that's about all

maybe Fresh Market does a full range of spices?

thank you
Old 03-14-2011, 08:46 AM

Went for dinner last night ... party of three ... had Lamb Vindaloo, Lamb Birayani and Lamb Rogan Josh ... Lamb Vindaloo was good ... other two entrees were not ordered but accepted as we we tired of waiting ... they were just OK ... two drinks ... tab of $74 before tip ... thought it was pricey, food just OK and service slow ... not sure we will return even though the wife loves Indian food ... may have to try the ones in Ocala ...

John
Old 03-19-2011, 06:28 PM

We were there tonight for the first time. Let me start by saying that the food we ordered was very good and the service was very good also. My biggest complaint was the value for what you get. Entree's at $13.95 each consisted of a cup of rice with a small dish of sauce with a few pieces of chicken cut up in the sauce, probably not even 5 ounces of chicken. The manager came up to us and asked if we would like to try their bread with our order. We thought it was a sample and we would not be charged. We were charged $4.00 for a very small amount of bread. We ordered one beer and two waters and walked out of there paying almost $40.00 including tip for our two meals. Again, I thought the food was very good but value was lacking. Also, I like some sort of veggie with my meals and there wasn't any served. I asked for a dinner salad and the waiter said they didn't serve them. After we paid our bill the waiter told us to come for lunch as you get everything we had tonight plus salad and bread at no extra charge for under $10.00 per entree. I asked why salad for lunch but not dinner, he said he would make a suggestion to management. I will go there again but for lunch only.

I'm the type of woman that when I get up in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up"!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
are there any good sources of Indian food in TV supermarkets?

we have found mild curry sauces, one small jar of chutney and even, on one occasion, a packet of poppadums, but that's about all

maybe Fresh Market does a full range of spices?

thank you
I did notice an aisle at Fresh Market that had lots of spices etc. It smelled wonderful!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.