Urban Curry - new Indian restaurant

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Sage

There is a $5 off coupon for dinner at Indian Curry in today's paper... Section c8, I recall.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post
are there any good sources of Indian food in TV supermarkets?

we have found mild curry sauces, one small jar of chutney and even, on one occasion, a packet of poppadums, but that's about all

maybe Fresh Market does a full range of spices?

thank you
The best is in Orlando "India Spices" 137 Doss Ave. -407-857-5605

Orlando FL 32809

They have great prices on tomatoes also(.69 a pound) plus some vegetables.
Try Chatt House restaurant on Orange Blossom. Their nanns are the very best! Best prices on Indian Food. Atmosphere not great but food is. Chatt house is not far from India Spice.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAV0108 View Post
We were there tonight for the first time. Let me start by saying that the food we ordered was very good and the service was very good also. My biggest complaint was the value for what you get. Entree's at $13.95 each consisted of a cup of rice with a small dish of sauce with a few pieces of chicken cut up in the sauce, probably not even 5 ounces of chicken. The manager came up to us and asked if we would like to try their bread with our order. We thought it was a sample and we would not be charged. We were charged $4.00 for a very small amount of bread. We ordered one beer and two waters and walked out of there paying almost $40.00 including tip for our two meals. Again, I thought the food was very good but value was lacking. Also, I like some sort of veggie with my meals and there wasn't any served. I asked for a dinner salad and the waiter said they didn't serve them. After we paid our bill the waiter told us to come for lunch as you get everything we had tonight plus salad and bread at no extra charge for under $10.00 per entree. I asked why salad for lunch but not dinner, he said he would make a suggestion to management. I will go there again but for lunch only.
I agree---good food but way over priced especially for Indian food. They sell lentil soup for $4.00. It is actually a dahl served at other indian restaurants for $1.50 tops.

I'm afraid that when the snow birds go home that they will be in trouble unless they lower their prices.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Smile Love Urban Curry!!!

Unfortunately, I went there the first day for lunch. People were walking out since it was very disorganized. I had time so I waited and I am glad I did. When the food came out it was the freshest I have had in the Villages. I want quality over quantity and as everyone knows food has gone up a lot. I am not a meat eater but since I have been back there 3-4 times I have been adventuresome and tried different dishes. They are seasoned perfectly with different nuances and they serve it at different heat levels. It is not a restaurant for everyday because it is not down and dirty prices but it is not over the top for the quality of the food. Lunch is a better deal dollar wise but dinner is very enjoyable.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Veteran member

Went to Urban Curry for lunch today. Soup was pretty flavorless but the entrées were very good. We asked for spicy but the food tasted rather mild. The nan had something gritty in it which was off putting. We much prefer the Tandoor lunch buffet.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:04 PM

Went to Urban Currry with two friends on Feb. 15th. - opening week. Waited 35 minutes for waitress, who apologized that she was really not a waitress but worked in a nursing home. Ordered lunch and waited another 45 minutes for food, however, the salads were missing. The "waitress" said that she would take the entrees back to the kitchen to be kept hot and would bring the salads but warned us that they might be out of salad dressing. Salads did come with dressing (nothing exotic - cheap lettuce and bottled ranch) however, when the entrees returned they were just luke warm and apparently had just sat cooling in the kitchen. Food quality, except salads, was good if not hot. Portion size - small. Total time for lunch 2 1/2 hours. I love Indian food but would I return - probably not. Manager (owner?) was aware of problems.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:29 PM

We use to go there 3 times a week but haven't been in months and will not return. The food was very good at first but went down hill very fast now the food is not good and you don't get much. would not recommend !!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Veteran member

I haven't been there in quite a while. Portions seemed small and prices high. Not very spicy. But I saw that they now have a lunch buffet. Has anyone tried it? If so, would you recommend it?
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:10 AM

I much enjoyed the lunch buffet about a month ago. Wonderful flavors and reasonable price.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Location: Brooklyn, NY Queens, NY Village of Summerhill, Village of Santiago

I have not tried the lunch buffet, but had dinner there 2-3 times. Food was very good. They always asked whether you wanted the meal mild, medium or hot. The hot version is VERY,VERY hot. DH loved it. I'll stick to medium.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Default Nothing like a UK curry

Tried this as do get withdrawal symptons when in The Villages it was nothing like a UK curry which I accept is nothing like a curry in India itself. The samosas where made of really thick pastry the onion bhajis where thin and tasteless. As for the curry lots of gravy and raw onion but very little taste. I am used to Bradford curry houses (not chains although there are some good ones Aagrah Mumtaz etc) With thick tasty sauces not the blow your head off type this was nothing like. I can make better myself
Old 07-19-2012, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

i agree UK curry is better
Old 07-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
i agree UK curry is better
I have never had curry. I know.

Does anyone make it at home?
Old 07-19-2012, 10:04 AM

Morning Gracie - DW makes curry at home. I personally love it. I doubt that many here have had that style, DW is Japanese and curry is VERY popular in Japan. Sooo, her curry has the Japanese "slant" to it. Pun intended. I also LOVE Indian curry, if it can be found anywhere. Just like Chinese food is tailored to US taste, Indian curry is also.
Don & Kaz
Old 09-12-2012, 08:55 AM

I don't know if you are aware. Their meat is halal. Do you love animals? That is possibly the cruelist way to kill an animal. I plan on getting some people together to protest. In the Uk they have protested KFC and other places and they have stopped. Go on You Tube. Look at halal killing. Its so sad!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.