VKI Japanese Steakhouse.

VKI Japanese Steakhouse.

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 03:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
If there are only two of us (usually me and Mona, as Robert won’t touch sushi—but I’m working on it), I enjoy sitting at the bar and watching the preparation.

Becoming a sushi master is no simple matter. In the classical way, you could spend three years or more just learning to make rice correctly. I took a three hour class on making sushi. I learned a lot:

1. You have to be able to do rice correctly.
2. Your knife must be as sharp as a razor blade. The professional ones cost upward of $1,000.
3. For maki, vegetables must be perfectly cut, to say
nothing of the fish.
4. FRESH, FRESH, FRESH fish and vegetables.

My tuna rolls were not perfect by any means, but they were nonetheless delicious!

If you want to try your luck, check out YouTube. And ALWAYS tell the fish vendor that it is for sushi, i.e. RAW.
We love to sit at the sushi bar and watch, really is artful.
The knives fascinate me, so sharp. They have let me see the knife and he told me that he just sharpens it once a day. It really holds the edge!

Old 06-28-2019, 03:49 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
I sure wish someone would open a place specializing in food from India.

O Henryk how I agree with you. I think Indian is what we miss most - Amrit in Ocala didn't cut it for us. We heard that another Indian restaurant (called Bombay Cafe) has opened up in Ocala but we have not tried it.

I do have a place in Mount Dora called Shiva that I am planning on going to as soon as we can. We heard good things about it -- but as someone else pointed out, tastes in food, (like women) are so varied and subjective that you can not rely on it. Some like 'em tall, some like 'em short, and some don't like 'em at all! LOL

Reading the posts on NYC pizza is a good case in point. Having lived in NY for 65 of my 68 years, I had a good belly laugh at what some said was good, NY style pizza down here.

Shiva Indian Restaurant in Mount Dora, Florida
Old 06-29-2019, 03:54 PM
Veteran member

Shiva used to be located in the Leesburg Lake Square Mall. They had an extensive lunch buffet and we would go there every couple of months for our Indian fix. Really good food and reasonably priced. They closed probably at least 5 years ago. We were excited to hear they reopened about a year or two ago in Mount Dora. However, they are in a smaller location and the buffet is much smaller and more expensive. We tried them once and haven't been back.

We used to have an Indian restaurant with a lunch buffet in TV near Spanish Springs several years ago but it didn't last long. The food was okay (not great) but in a good location. There also seems to be a lot of turnover in Ocala near the mall. I guess this area just doesn't have enough support for more "exotic" menus.

Tags
good, years, ten, steakhouse, japanese