Watch your change

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2021, 06:43 AM

I’m sure it minimizes Covid-19 exposure
Old 03-17-2021, 06:43 AM

The server should round up in your favor. Servers have to carry their own "Bank" That means they bring change to give to cash customers. They are also responsible for the money owed to the restaurant. They carry all the money and credit card receipts from their tables and cash out at the end of their shift. Not carry coins is standard BUT they MUST either give you exact change or round up in your favor.

On a separate note, I had dinner last week and the bartender gave my friend another drink that was not requested. That is not acceptable...it wasn't a soda refill and she knew it was a vodka drink.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:44 AM
Veteran member

Use a credit card, problem solved.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:45 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
Times are so hard in the restaurant industry that I’ve gone to tipping at least $10 or 25%, whichever is more, even if that means a 100% tip in some cases. I’m sure I have more than they do. I do think it would be appropriate to have a notice in the menu and on the receipt if the restaurant rounds up or down to the nearest dollar, but apart from that, it doesn’t bother me. I’d be happy to have them do that.

Why do we still have pennies, anyway? At least for pennies, and maybe for nickels and dimes, can’t we all agree to round up or down and do away with pennies?
we do the same.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
So hubby and I went to dinner at Metro Dinner Sunday evening. When it was time to pay our bill, we noticed that we only got dollars back and no change that was due to us. We counted our dollars thinking that the server had rounded up the change to give us only dollars back. This was not the case.

We called the manager over and told him that we did not get the proper change back. He asked who our server was and we pointed him out. We also asked the manager if they give change back. He kinda fumbled with his words and eventually said well we usually round up the dollar amount in the customers favor because we don’t have a way to make change here due to the “change shortage”. Our servers bring their own money from home to make change with. We told him that in our case our server did not round up the dollar amount. He went to our server who gave him the dollar to give to us.

This struck me as odd because a week ago, I was having lunch at Chop House with a friend who I hadn’t seen in 20 years. When she received her check she also did not receive the correct change. She did not receive her change, nor did they round up her amount t that they returned to her. They just kept the change......no explanation given. I told my friend to call our server back over and question why she did not receive her proper change. She refused.

My question is....with the “change shortage 🤣🤣) are the servers just keeping the change?? For me, this is unacceptable and is no different than stealing it. It’s my money and I’ll decide if I want them to keep the change.

You may want to count your change before you leave a restaurant. They are pulling a fast one on us!
That’s a simple fix, if they do not provide you the correct change or round up to the nearest dollar and you feel they did this purposely, don’t leave them a tip. If a few people do this they will get the message. If loosing a 20-25% tip is worth a little change so be it.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:08 AM

What coin shortage?

I have four 5 gallon glass containers filled to the brim with coins...?
Old 03-17-2021, 07:17 AM
Veteran member
Default Change

Quote:
So hubby and I went to dinner at Metro Dinner Sunday evening. When it was time to pay our bill, we noticed that we only got dollars back and no change that was due to us. We counted our dollars thinking that the server had rounded up the change to give us only dollars back. This was not the case.

We called the manager over and told him that we did not get the proper change back. He asked who our server was and we pointed him out. We also asked the manager if they give change back. He kinda fumbled with his words and eventually said well we usually round up the dollar amount in the customers favor because we don’t have a way to make change here due to the “change shortage”. Our servers bring their own money from home to make change with. We told him that in our case our server did not round up the dollar amount. He went to our server who gave him the dollar to give to us.

This struck me as odd because a week ago, I was having lunch at Chop House with a friend who I hadn’t seen in 20 years. When she received her check she also did not receive the correct change. She did not receive her change, nor did they round up her amount t that they returned to her. They just kept the change......no explanation given. I told my friend to call our server back over and question why she did not receive her proper change. She refused.

My question is....with the “change shortage 🤣🤣) are the servers just keeping the change?? For me, this is unacceptable and is no different than stealing it. It’s my money and I’ll decide if I want them to keep the change.

You may want to count your change before you leave a restaurant. They are pulling a fast one on us!
This seems to be a growing trend, I've heard this about other places even one of the country clubs. If you know a place is doing this and you still want to pay with cash just subtract that amount from the tip.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown132 View Post
That’s a simple fix, if they do not provide you the correct change or round up to the nearest dollar and you feel they did this purposely, don’t leave them a tip. If a few people do this they will get the message. If loosing a 20-25% tip is worth a little change so be it.
Not tipping is inexusable. LOSING a tip is wrong.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:20 AM

Quote:

Really, I have a few pennies!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2021, 07:33 AM

Add it to the tip if you actually tip.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:

A fair number of restaurants were doing this before the coin shortage. I find it annoying, that’s why I usually round the tip to the nearest dollar and do it on my cc.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:43 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

This is no change shortage. None at all. Banks have TONS of change in storage. Businesses are not requesting change in the belief that it spreads Covid.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,500 Times in 3,103 Posts

So my takeaway from this thread is the general consensus: Being dishonest with/stealing someone else's money is perfectly acceptable as long as it's just a few pennies here, a few pennies there.

And that most people on this thread can afford to lose 50, 60, 75 cents every time they go anywhere, it's no big deal, their money has such little value to them they're perfectly happy to throw it away on a dishonest server.

So basically - dishonesty does not fall into the category of "immorality." There is no moral imperative to be honest.

Good to know that my fellow forum members are okay with that.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:48 AM

Change purse.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:03 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:

Almost every place you go now, there is a sign about the coin shortage. Why do you insist on paying in cash? Even with the virus occurring, stores are recomending no hand to hand money exchange. You also said this happened to you before. So, why continue using cash? Thats what credit cards are for. Much easier, faster and cleaner.
Closed Thread

Tags
change, back, server, round, told

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.