Default J.B. Boondocks

Here's the web site:
http://www.jbboondocks.com/
Old 12-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jullie View Post
Hello,
We have relatives coming in from out of town. We would like to take them to a special restaurant on the water. We have already taken them to Gator Joe's.
I read about Black Water on St John's River. Have anyone tried them?
Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.
Thanks, jullie
I really like Pisces Rising in Mt. Dora. And I really like Cedar Key. What I hate is sitting on a deck at dusk on a swampy river. The Mosquitos are the size of golf balls!
Old 12-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Platinum member

Barefoot:

A word of caution about Pisces Rising.

My street went there for our monthly get-together 12/2. Service was a complete and total disaster, food was mediocre at best.

Granted, it was Mount Dora's Christmas Walk night, so the place was packed, but no one, I repeat no one, should have to wait more than an hour after ordering to receive mediocre food!

Let me add to the suggestions for on-the-water dining.

1. Exceedingly low-key but great fun: Gator Joe's, over-looking Lake Weir in Ocklawaha. Best for a casual lunch; sit out under the tiki-huts, over the water. May be crowded with bikers during Daytona's or Leesburg's Bike Weeks.

2. Decidedly upscale, but worth every penny: Al's Top Shelf, over-looking Lake Dora in Tavares. Thursday-Sunday only. Superb food and service; excellent for a large group. There's a low-key venue on the ground floor that caters more to the burger and fries crowd!

SWR
Old 12-23-2011, 05:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla View Post
Barefoot:
A word of caution about Pisces Rising. My street went there for our monthly get-together 12/2. Service was a complete and total disaster, food was mediocre at best. Granted, it was Mount Dora's Christmas Walk night, so the place was packed, but no one, I repeat no one, should have to wait more than an hour after ordering to receive mediocre food. SWR
That's disappointing news. Any restaurant can have a bad day, but you'd think Pisces would staff up to handle the Christmas crowds.

On a cheery note, it sounds as if you picked a great street to live on!
Old 12-23-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla View Post
Barefoot:

A word of caution about Pisces Rising.

My street went there for our monthly get-together 12/2. Service was a complete and total disaster, food was mediocre at best.

Granted, it was Mount Dora's Christmas Walk night, so the place was packed, but no one, I repeat no one, should have to wait more than an hour after ordering to receive mediocre food!

Let me add to the suggestions for on-the-water dining.

1. Exceedingly low-key but great fun: Gator Joe's, over-looking Lake Weir in Ocklawaha. Best for a casual lunch; sit out under the tiki-huts, over the water. May be crowded with bikers during Daytona's or Leesburg's Bike Weeks.

2. Decidedly upscale, but worth every penny: Al's Top Shelf, over-looking Lake Dora in Tavares. Thursday-Sunday only. Superb food and service; excellent for a large group. There's a low-key venue on the ground floor that caters more to the burger and fries crowd!

SWR
Congratulations swrinfla! This thread has been in existence since 10/23/2009. After about 26 month you have the distinction of being the first person to actually recommend a place on the water that's worth going to. Al's Top Shelf fills the bill and is the right answer to the question raised two years ago. The rest are all joints that rely on the fact that many among us seek out lower cost venues where they do not realize that mediocrity rules supreme.You won't find the same clientele at Al's top Shelf. It's a lovely location but has scary prices on the menu. No wonder so few of us are familiar with venues such as Al's, Jeffery Paul's Chophouse, Ricks Prime Steak House and the like, whether they are on the water or not. Actually, lunch at Al's Landing the lower level comfort food restaurant you mentioned is a far better solution for getting a decent meal in a nice water setting than any of the other except for Al's Top Shelf.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
Congratulations swrinfla! This thread has been in existence since 10/23/2009. After about 26 month you have the distinction of being the first person to actually recommend a place on the water that's worth going to. Al's Top Shelf fills the bill and is the right answer to the question raised two years ago. The rest are all joints that rely on the fact that many among us seek out lower cost venues where they do not realize that mediocrity rules supreme.You won't find the same clientele at Al's top Shelf. It's a lovely location but has scary prices on the menu. No wonder so few of us are familiar with venues such as Al's, Jeffery Paul's Chophouse, Ricks Prime Steak House and the like, whether they are on the water or not. Actually, lunch at Al's Landing the lower level comfort food restaurant you mentioned is a far better solution for getting a decent meal in a nice water setting than any of the other except for Al's Top Shelf.
I didn't even realize that this thread was over two years old. That being said, I think your post comes off as rather opinionated (not that there is anything wrong with opinions--we all have them--I just take offense that you seem to think that your opinion is the only one that carries any weight). To state that "many among us seek out lower cost venues where they do not realize that mediocrity rules supreme", comes across as rather snobby and is insulting to lots of folks.

The original poster (and others who read this thread since looking for a nice place to eat "on the water") did not ask for a gourmet experience, a 5 star rated place or anything of that ilk. They wanted info on a nice place on the water.

From personal experience, I can say that Crackers is a great place to eat after a full day of scuba diving or snorkeling with the manatees. Five star? Hardly, but the food is fresh and well prepared. Fresh Apalachicola oysters, fresh grouper, and fresh caught lobster have all been excellent--well prepared and well presented. Not fancy, but a nice meal served in a beautiful environment.

Lest you think I am one of those ignorant slobs who is incapable of "realizing
mediocrity," I have eaten at some of the finest dining establishments around the world (and by the way, "lower cost venues" are not always synonymous with "mediocrity")and have written restaurant reviews for a mid-sized (circulation of 125,000) newspaper for three years.

Hope I am not offending you, but I had to toss out my $.02.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 12-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Sage

And, Black Water, Gator Joe's, and the many others previously mentioned are worth checking out.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 12-24-2011, 06:46 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
I didn't even realize that this thread was over two years old. That being said, I think your post comes off as rather opinionated (not that there is anything wrong with opinions--we all have them--I just take offense that you seem to think that your opinion is the only one that carries any weight). To state that "many among us seek out lower cost venues where they do not realize that mediocrity rules supreme", comes across as rather snobby and is insulting to lots of folks.

The original poster (and others who read this thread since looking for a nice place to eat "on the water") did not ask for a gourmet experience, a 5 star rated place or anything of that ilk. They wanted info on a nice place on the water.

From personal experience, I can say that Crackers is a great place to eat after a full day of scuba diving or snorkeling with the manatees. Five star? Hardly, but the food is fresh and well prepared. Fresh Apalachicola oysters, fresh grouper, and fresh caught lobster have all been excellent--well prepared and well presented. Not fancy, but a nice meal served in a beautiful environment.

Lest you think I am one of those ignorant slobs who is incapable of "realizing
mediocrity," I have eaten at some of the finest dining establishments around the world (and by the way, "lower cost venues" are not always synonymous with "mediocrity")and have written restaurant reviews for a mid-sized (circulation of 125,000) newspaper for three years.

Hope I am not offending you, but I had to toss out my $.02.
Crackers is good.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.