We need Halal

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2017, 06:04 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'm a seriously picky eater. Was as a kid, still am. However, being a military-embassy brat, having lived in the Middle East a few times, I was stuck. I could be picky in restaurants, I could be picky at home, but I could never, ever be picky where I was guest. That meant eating Kosher, Halal, Arabic, Moroccan, and so on and so forth. Hated most of it, learned to swallow it regardless. Even so, there is no way I would put down those who like the food, whether because of religion or just taste. Kosher and Halal is a matter of killing and preparation, not a political matter. If you like it, go for it. If you don't, eat something else.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-28-2017, 06:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I'm a seriously picky eater. Was as a kid, still am. However, being a military-embassy brat, having lived in the Middle East a few times, I was stuck. I could be picky in restaurants, I could be picky at home, but I could never, ever be picky where I was guest. That meant eating Kosher, Halal, Arabic, Moroccan, and so on and so forth. Hated most of it, learned to swallow it regardless. Even so, there is no way I would put down those who like the food, whether because of religion or just taste. Kosher and Halal is a matter of killing and preparation, not a political matter. If you like it, go for it. If you don't, eat something else.
Plan to.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:35 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Plan to.
Me, too, Gracie, me,too.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-28-2017, 08:57 PM
Platinum member

Don't they cook that over donkey dung !!!!!
Old 06-29-2017, 09:41 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 383 Posts

Considering that most Villagers are quite educated and some have traveled extensively throughout the US and the World it surprises me that so many are like children when it comes to experiencing different cuisines. I realize that we all have our likes and dislikes concerning food but the significant lack of variety in cuisines in TV is shocking.

I suppose its also because as some get older they get stuck in their ways and cant be flexible anymore..if they ever were. Reminds me of my mother...she would eat nothing in a Chinese restaurant except Chicken Chow Mein....no way was she putting that other foreign food in her mouth.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Considering that most Villagers are quite educated and some have traveled extensively throughout the US and the World it surprises me that so many are like children when it comes to experiencing different cuisines. I realize that we all have our likes and dislikes concerning food but the significant lack of variety in cuisines in TV is shocking.

I suppose its also because as some get older they get stuck in their ways and cant be flexible anymore..if they ever were. Reminds me of my mother...she would eat nothing in a Chinese restaurant except Chicken Chow Mein....no way was she putting that other foreign food in her mouth.
Listen Bootsie, Don't lecture. Every area has it's yummy stuff. In Cincinnati we have Goetta. In Columbus we have Cornbread and beans which is deeeee-lish-a-mus. We have fishfry's and picnics and pitch-in's and potlucks where some folks bring tart cherry pie made with lard and the cherries seasoned with a bit of almond flavoring that can bring a tear to your eye. We do amazing things with fresh corn. It is a PROVEN fact that the best corn in the world comes from Ohio fields. AND Tomatoes.. omigosh the tomatoes, polished on your jeans and with a salt shaker it is heaven on earth.

It all depends on what food hasn't been tried by the one who thinks their food is superior.

Go Bucks.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:34 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:

A man I know, now in his 60's has worked in the grocery business in a highly populated east coast state since he was 18. Over the years he rose into high corporate management. Also over the years he attended many food handling courses. Although I have asked him from time to time to join me for a meal in a Chinese restaurant of his choosing he always refuses. He reminds me that many if not most of the worst food handling infractions given as examples in the numerous courses he has taken were from Chinese restaurants. He will not trust their hygiene practices (or the lack thereof).

Also, the worst food I ever ate was in China over a two week tour. One of the participants became so seriously ill from the food there they evacuated her by plane for hospitalization. The food I ate in Egypt and Morocco was OK but not remarkable and I did not get sick. It may have been Halal. I don't know or care.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-29-2017, 11:15 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Listen Bootsie, Don't lecture. Every area has it's yummy stuff. In Cincinnati we have Goetta. In Columbus we have Cornbread and beans which is deeeee-lish-a-mus. We have fishfry's and picnics and pitch-in's and potlucks where some folks bring tart cherry pie made with lard and the cherries seasoned with a bit of almond flavoring that can bring a tear to your eye. We do amazing things with fresh corn. It is a PROVEN fact that the best corn in the world comes from Ohio fields. AND Tomatoes.. omigosh the tomatoes, polished on your jeans and with a salt shaker it is heaven on earth.

It all depends on what food hasn't been tried by the one who thinks their food is superior.

Go Bucks.
Bootsie..lol...such endearment!!...you must be trying to become my BFF.

Who said anything was wrong with food from Ohio?. I think you are gastronomically defensive...or just like bland food.

That's ok...eat what you want.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:

I agree with GG, skip the lecture.

I have eaten all over the world and enjoy many cuisines. I love MIDDLE EASTERN food, NOT because it may be "Muslim" food, "Kosher Muslim" food, or "halal". I eat it because I like THE FOOD, not because it was butchered with a ceremonial knife, or while facing Mecca, or while reciting some thousand year old gobbity-gook. I would say the same about Jewish kosher food, or any food that is associated with a religion, rather than a culture

Now before you start thinking "racist" or "islamaphobe", please realize that the best man and one usher at my wedding 30 years ago were Jewish (which pi$$ed off my sister in law no end), the guests included our friends that were African American, Asian American, Muslim, Hindu, and an Iranian. That's just the way it is in NYC, and that was 30 years ago. I've been to Seders, have you? I've been to a mosque for Friday services, have you? I've been to a traditional Hindu wedding, have you?

So please, skip the lecture, skip the mumbo jumbo during it's preparation, and I'll just have some falafel and hummus.

PS---ManAT is right, the food in China is AWFUL!!!

PPS--sorry this isn't a step towards becoming BFF's
Closed Thread

Tags
sauce, place, drive, reasonable, sauce/hot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.