We need more food trucks

We need more food trucks

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 08-03-2019, 01:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
I agree with Bogie. Restaurant owners are not looking for additional competition.
I totally agree. This has been an issue around the country for many years. Restaurant owners do not want a food truck parked anywhere near their restaurant.

Old 08-03-2019, 01:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
I always thought a couple of hot dog vendors selling Sabrett's or Nathans at each of the Squares would be awesome. I think they would do quite well.
Steve
You've never seen a hot dog vendor on a Square?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2019, 01:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
...as we were saying, about food trucks in general in the other thread about lobster rolls:

Food trucks typically kick commercial parking fees and permit fees to the communities in which they are given permission to park and serve their customers.

The ones that are usually exempt are the traditional "canteens" that show up in the parking lots of corporate office buildings, that provide hotdogs, sandwiches, soda, cigarettes, the morning newspaper, etc. But that's because those trucks don't typically park on a public street and the service they provide is exclusive to those at the building where they park, before moving on to the next building in their daily rounds.

Part of the problem with a regular rotation of food trucks AT the town square is the noise. They have to have generators, if they don't have access to the public electric system. Generators are noisy, and the cables connecting to the public electric systems can be dangerous to maneuver around, as a customer.

If you're in the middle of the square (as a pedestrian) and there's one truck on one side of one street, it's not going to be a big deal. But if you're trying to enjoy dinner at the restaurant directly behind where the truck is parked, you're going to want to eat inside.

If there are a dozen food trucks all parked around the square, the generators needed to run them would produce a lot of noise. In a carnival atmosphere it's not a big deal, it's expected.

If you had a "food truck night" once every other week, at each square, that might work great. You could even coordinate it to run the same time as vendor days, so the square is closed to traffic anyway. You could move the vendors that have only tables, tarps, and chairs for equipment, onto the squares themselves. And that would leave plenty of room for trucks on the curbside of the inner square - which would also mean no food trucks parked directly in front of any restaurant.

You could invite popular trucks to come as part of a regular schedule, and have "featured trucks" rotate in and out of the schedule. This gives everyone a chance to try new things each time, while still being able to enjoy the "same old" that they know and love.

Squares are NOT closed on Vendor Nights!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
You know, I don’t think it would be a problem, Bogie. There are some people who wouldn’t think of dining at a food truck and the restaurants will always be busy. Some generator noise would need to be taken into consideration when planning.
Almost ever vendor uses a generator on the Squares on Vendor Nights!

Where do you people live?
Old 08-03-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
You've never seen a hot dog vendor on a Square?
Truthfully no. Not on a regular basis, and not at Spanish Springs
Steve
Old 08-03-2019, 02:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Truthfully no. Not on a regular basis, and not at Spanish Springs
Steve
Not on a regular basis but I have at S.S. and L.S.L.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Not on a regular basis but I have at S.S. and L.S.L.
Never have I seen one of these at SS.
Attached Thumbnails
hot-dog-veddor-jpg  
Old 08-03-2019, 03:16 PM

If we don’t want to inconvenience the restaurants, why not let the food trucks set up at some rec center parking lots such as Colony.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:28 PM

When I spend money to eat out I want to set at a table and be served. Food trucks for the most part don't provide tables and chairs and definitely don't bring it to your table. I've ate from food trucks and have not found it to be any better than full service restaurants and in some cases it was inferior.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
When I spend money to eat out I want to set at a table and be served. Food trucks for the most part don't provide tables and chairs and definitely don't bring it to your table. I've ate from food trucks and have not found it to be any better than full service restaurants and in some cases it was inferior.
That’s exactly why they would probably be fine on the Squares. It’s like ice cream, some people love it and some don’t.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
If we don’t want to inconvenience the restaurants, why not let the food trucks set up at some rec center parking lots such as Colony.
Because that would DEFINITELY take business away from the restaurants that day.

If the food trucks are all away from the restaurants, then people who want to enjoy food truck food will go ONLY to the location of the food truck. That means no ice cream or lattes in the square after supper. That means - the square is losing business, just by taking some of their customer base away from the location.

That's just how the phenomenon of food trucks works.

Contrary to the contrarians, actual fact shows that food trucks BRING business to commercial areas, which PROMOTES existing restaurants and complements them.

Tags
support, trucks, food