We need more food trucks

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2019, 02:31 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Not on a regular basis but I have at S.S. and L.S.L.
Never have I seen one of these at SS.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	hot dog veddor.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	80371  
Old 08-03-2019, 03:16 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

If we don’t want to inconvenience the restaurants, why not let the food trucks set up at some rec center parking lots such as Colony.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:28 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,221 Times in 928 Posts

When I spend money to eat out I want to set at a table and be served. Food trucks for the most part don't provide tables and chairs and definitely don't bring it to your table. I've ate from food trucks and have not found it to be any better than full service restaurants and in some cases it was inferior.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
When I spend money to eat out I want to set at a table and be served. Food trucks for the most part don't provide tables and chairs and definitely don't bring it to your table. I've ate from food trucks and have not found it to be any better than full service restaurants and in some cases it was inferior.
That’s exactly why they would probably be fine on the Squares. It’s like ice cream, some people love it and some don’t.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
If we don’t want to inconvenience the restaurants, why not let the food trucks set up at some rec center parking lots such as Colony.
Because that would DEFINITELY take business away from the restaurants that day.

If the food trucks are all away from the restaurants, then people who want to enjoy food truck food will go ONLY to the location of the food truck. That means no ice cream or lattes in the square after supper. That means - the square is losing business, just by taking some of their customer base away from the location.

That's just how the phenomenon of food trucks works.

Contrary to the contrarians, actual fact shows that food trucks BRING business to commercial areas, which PROMOTES existing restaurants and complements them.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:54 PM

This might be the only way we can get new business in Brownwood !!
Old 08-03-2019, 04:58 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post

If the food trucks are all away from the restaurants, then people who want to enjoy food truck food will go ONLY to the location of the food truck. That means no ice cream or lattes in the square after supper. That means - the square is losing business, just by taking some of their customer base away from the location.

Contrary to the contrarians, actual fact shows that food trucks BRING business to commercial areas, which PROMOTES existing restaurants and complements them.
"Cons of Owning a Mobile Food Business vs a Brick and Mortar Restaurant
Down and dirty food fights are cropping up around the nation between mobile food businesses and restaurants who claim food trucks are stealing their business. Cities are being pressured to add new rules and regulations prohibiting the operation of food trucks within certain distances of established restaurants."

Mobile Food Trucks vs Brick and Mortar Restaurants

Restaurants say food trucks are eating up their profits - CBS News

Food Trucks Battle Restaurants Over Street Space - WSJ

Steve
Old 08-03-2019, 04:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post

So you’are stating they would be a plus to standing restaurants? There is free enterprise and I really don’t think one eatery can stop another from operating.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,412 Times in 5,105 Posts

I believe in free enterprise. But, I can also understand that restaurants have a major investment in property development and real estate taxes, and they are committed to the local area much more so than food trucks. So, I think they have a legitimate complaint about how the local Government regulates food trucks and food stands that operate close to their restaurants.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I believe in free enterprise. But, I can also understand that restaurants have a major investment in property development and real estate taxes, and they are committed to the local area much more so than food trucks. So, I think they have a legitimate complaint about how the local Government regulates food trucks and food stands that operate close to their restaurants.
Food trucks pay a fee for the privilege of being there. In some places they pay a seasonal fee, in others they pay per-event. But food trucks NEVER just show up and set up shop. That would be illegal.

They also have to answer to the local health department, are subject to more random inspections than restaurants, for the very reason that they are mobile and could easily just skip town after serving tainted food.

Food truck food tends to be more expensive as well, because they can only bring very limited quantities and have limited storage space, limited refrigerator power, limited cooking space. They can't buy massive bulk quantities of anything, because they don't have any place to put it. So they lack the buying power of restaurants. Further, they have to go out and get all their supplies, wheras a standing restaurant gets theirs delivered to them. So that's an added expense as well.

They are no competition at all to most restaurants and in fact, there are even some restaurants that have their own food trucks. Up in Connecticut this is a very popular trend. In the Yale University area, there are half a dozen local restaurants that have food trucks and food carts that show up just for the lunch and supper rush near the Hospital. Their customers are usually doctors, nurses, and other employees of the hospital who don't have time to sit down at a nearby restaurant, but want to enjoy the same foods. They pay a premium for their taco or gyro or kebab or pizza or hummus platter, but they get their food and can eat it and be back to work within a half hour.

The restaurants don't profit much - definitely somewhat. But mostly they provide a service to the hospital. And they pay through the nose for the right to occupy a space in the circle. There is always a waiting list every year for trucks that want a spot, and only some of them make the cut.
Closed Thread

Tags
support, trucks, food

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.