We're down to two

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Sage
Default We're down to two

We're down to two country club restaurants that we'l frequent on a regular basis: Cane Garden and Arnold Palmer will now be our go to CC restaurants

Nancy Lopez is too far out of our area to consider and until Hemingway gets their menu revised we're giving them a pass too

Fred's restaurants are all cookies cutters of each other & their "institutional" style of food and presentation is not our cup of tea,

The other restaurants we frequent are Chefs of Napoli & the Bonefish
Old 08-08-2017, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
We're down to two country club restaurants that we'l frequent on a regular basis: Cane Garden and Arnold Palmer will now be our go to CC restaurants

Nancy Lopez is too far out of our area to consider and until Hemingway gets their menu revised we're giving them a pass too

Fred's restaurants are all cookies cutters of each other & their "institutional" style of food and presentation is not our cup of tea,

I'll put that info. to good use!
Old 08-08-2017, 12:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

I would concur( might also agree!!)
Old 08-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

"Nancy Lopez is too far out of our area." ??
Area being Orlando..........................
Old 08-08-2017, 12:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
We're down to two country club restaurants that we'l frequent on a regular basis: Cane Garden and Arnold Palmer will now be our go to CC restaurants.
Nancy Lopez is too far out of our area to consider and until Hemingway gets their menu revised we're giving them a pass too.
Where do you live, Village of Tampa?
Old 08-08-2017, 12:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts

Quote:

Those are the restaurants we like too.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:55 PM
Platinum member

Agree with OP's choices except I'll add Lopez back in. Worth the drive and it's not like it's that far!
Old 08-08-2017, 01:57 PM
Sage

Being out of the area-for us is =you have a 30 minute window to leave a bar after having two martinis before you can hit the legal drunk limit- we wouldn't push the envelope-
Old 08-08-2017, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Maybe the solution is to have only one......might work.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:17 PM
Sage

For us one martini with the apps. another with the entree--been doing this 40+ years zero tickets--knock wood
Old 08-08-2017, 06:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

This forum is for the give and take of our opinions so even if one's opinions are obnoxious they are acceptable. I truly understand that. I don't drink so it's hard for me to identify with the timing thing. I would never give up a great restaurant for that reason, at least I think I wouldn't put other people's or my lovely wifes life at risk for a drink. There have been regular advertisements on television that advise to not drink and drive. I've seen on TOTV'S that many people drink and drive in The Villages. I also only drive a Regular Ford not an expensive tank. I wonder if two drinks were consumed during dinner 10 minutes from home and then there was an accident and when all was said and done it took 2 hours to be tested would the drinker be illegal. I dislike seeing anyone get hurt ever especially a homey. I have not hit a horrendous restaurant here yet. A couple bad meals but that's life. Take Care.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:51 PM
Eternal Member

I have to disagree big time on Chefs of Napoli. I ate there last summer ONE time. Terrible food and terrible service.

I ordered Eggplant Parmigiana. I sort of use that as a test item at Italian restaurants. The eggplant was sliced thin and boiled. A foul tasting red sauce was poured over it. Disgusting!!

Lopez is definitely the best restaurant in The Villages.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
I have to disagree big time on .... I ate there last summer ONE time. Terrible food and terrible service... Disgusting!! ...
I'm sorry, but I have to question big time a review of any restaurant based on a single visit, especially one of exaggerated like or dislike.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:11 PM
Gold member

If you don't like driving to Nancy Lopez that is okay with us up here in the north end. We love this quiet and less hectic part of The Villages. Probably why there are less homes available in this part of The Villages too.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:13 AM
Platinum member
Smile My opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
This forum is for the give and take of our opinions so even if one's opinions are obnoxious they are acceptable. I truly understand that. I don't drink so it's hard for me to identify with the timing thing. I would never give up a great restaurant for that reason, at least I think I wouldn't put other people's or my lovely wifes life at risk for a drink. There have been regular advertisements on television that advise to not drink and drive. I've seen on TOTV'S that many people drink and drive in The Villages. I also only drive a Regular Ford not an expensive tank. I wonder if two drinks were consumed during dinner 10 minutes from home and then there was an accident and when all was said and done it took 2 hours to be tested would the drinker be illegal. I dislike seeing anyone get hurt ever especially a homey. I have not hit a horrendous restaurant here yet. A couple bad meals but that's life. Take Care.
I would never accuse a person who I don't know of snobbery, but................ I will just take the original post as a discussion of the tastes and preferences of one poster.

Having lived in New Orleans for several years and having eaten at all of the most famous restaurants in that area, as well as traveling the world and dining with heads of state in many countries, I have learned to appreciate good food, good presentation, and good service.

Living in the northern part of the park, I tend to go most often to Nancy Lopez' and Arnold Palmer's. Perhaps the are not "world class" but they are most certainly quite good, and I enjoy dining at either place.

But, as I have recently mentioned on another thread, I like the food at TooJay's, which is great deli food. Sonny's BBQ is not fine dining, but there are times that it meets my need. I prefer a couple of BBQ places in Central Texas, but that is not an option these days.

In Tampa, my favorite, hands down, for Spanish Style food (not Tex-Mex) is the original Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City. It is presently being operated by the fourth generation of the same family, and the ambiance in this landmark restaurant is remarkable.

For steak in Tampa, Bern's Steakhouse in south Tampa has a reputation for fine food that stretches back over a half a century. They are located in a rambling old wooden structure comprised of many different rooms that are each quite different in decor. An after dinner tour of the kitchen and their extensive wine cellar can be arranged.

These are just a couple of suggestions for those who might find it interesting to venture beyond the bubble for a fine dining experience.

---------------------

On another subject, like Nucky, I don't drink. I never have. But over the course of my career I've locked up a lot of drunks. There have been others that I didn't lock up, but I waited at the scene until the coroner arrived to take them to the Morgue.

Closed Thread

Tags
restaurants, frequent, menu, revised, cookies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.