What is your favorite restaurant in the whole world?

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Default re: What is your favorite restaurant in the whole world?

No brag -- My kitchen. Also, I have some of the finest wines. I just love being at home in my own kitchen and having a nice relaxing dinner.

Don't get me wrong, I love to go to fine restaurants, and I have been to many as well, but...

I don't like to eat at home though if it is a big group of people. Then I don't get to enjoy eating and socializing. Too much going on in the kitchen.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:18 PM

My two favorite restaurants are Carlyle in Shirlington, VA and Chez Francois in McLean, VA. Both are consistently outstanding!! Inn at Little Washington, in Washingon, VA is an exceptional 5 star restaurant--but a bit of a drive from the DC area. Barbara Burkholder
Old 02-09-2008, 06:24 PM

I've been to so many restaurants in the U.S. (while travelling) that I can't choose a "best" unless I categorize them.

However, I rate Bern's Steak House in Tampa as one of my favorites.

JM
(CM) Boston, Ma.
(JM)(CM)Boca Raton, FL.
(CM/JM)TV-Largo(CM/JM)
Old 02-09-2008, 07:56 PM

The Firebird, a Russian restaurant on 47th Street (Restaurant Row) in Manhattan. Its to die for!
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Eternal Member
Default What is your favorite restarant in the whole world?

Just about any Schnell Imbiss in Bavaria. I'd love some Curry Wurst or a few Nuernberger Rostbratwurt with some pommes frites. But a trip to Arthur Bryant's BBQ is probably more reasonable. Calvin Trillin in The New Yorker used to say that he's fly to Kansas City and the first thing he's do was drive to Bryant's for some Q, likely stopping at Winsteads on the way for a steakburger to tide him over. Calvin described Bryant's as the greatest restaurant in the world. He was right.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 02-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncle
Just about any Schnell Imbiss in Bavaria. I'd love some Curry Wurst or a few Nuernberger Rostbratwurt with some pommes frites. But a trip to Arthur Bryant's BBQ is probably more reasonable. Calvin Trillin in The New Yorker used to say that he's fly to Kansas City and the first thing he's do was drive to Bryant's for some Q, likely stopping at Winsteads on the way for a steakburger to tide him over. Calvin described Bryant's as the greatest restaurant in the world. He was right.
Trying to find out what Schnell Imbiss was and netted this picture of a hamburger. That's huge. http://www.essenundtrinken-web.de/

Checked link August 31, 2008.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac
Trying to find out what Schnell Imbiss was and netted this picture of a hamburger. That's huge. http://www.essenundtrinken-web.de/
A schnell imbiss, or more commonly called just an imbiss, is a fast food joint in Germany. :hot: Some are in well-constructed buildings, but most are just shacks or even carts. It translates literally as "fast snack." They all serve wurst, the type depending on where you are in Germany. Some specialize in schnitzel, shashlick, or rotisserie chicken (Haenchen). And all come with broetchen, the most heavenly bun/roll imaginable. :2cool: And great senf (mustard). When I was there, the dollar was pretty strong (compared to now) and you could get a tremendous lunch for 2 -3 bucks. A halbes (half) haenchen, while the smallest chicken I'd ever seen, was about DM3, or $1.50 to $2.00. 040

These places could never exist in the US. The health department would have a fit, and very possibly, maybe, if you looked very carefully, this might not have been the most healthful food in the world. But damn it was good.

Unfortunately, it appears that many of these establishments are being replaced by generic McDonalds, KFC, Burger King, and asian and middle eastern fast food places. :yikes: C'est la vie.

And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 02-10-2008, 01:30 AM

Muncie:
You brought back great memories. There was an imbiss (cart kind) at the edge of town on the route back to the Kaserne in Bad Hersfeld. After a night out at the local bars would have the taxi stop, hop out and get a bratwurst mit broechen with mustard, hop back in and eat it in the cab. Didn't help the hangover, but tasted great.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:42 PM

Have been to and liked so many wonderful restaurants, it's hard to pick a favorite.
But agree with JerryM. One of my all time favorites is Berns Steakhouse in Tampa.
It goes beyond great food,,, a real dining experience.
You can take a tour of the kitchen and wine cellar, the largest restaurant wine cellar in the world.
And their dessert room is to die for...
Well worth the drive down. :bigthumbsup:

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/bs_frame.htm
Old 02-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Muncle, gotta admit I love Arthur Bryant's. Since I have no plans to go there any time in the very near (or probably very far) future, I did order a case of Arthur Bryant bbq sauce online. YUMMMMMMMMMMM

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-05-2008, 03:16 AM

Manero's Steakhouse Greenwich Ct. Start with the Gorgonzola salad with garlic bread that drips with butter and oil. Follow that with the Chateaubriand for two smothered with mushrooms served with a baked potato and deep fried onion skins. Add desert and a carafe of house wine and tip and I was out the door just under $50. Of course that was the 80's. They even had a butcher shop attached where you could order cuts to take home.

My latest favorite is Rosemary's in Las Vegas. It as every bit as good as Le Francais in Wheeling IL was when Jean Banchet was running the joint. This is their website

http://www.rosemarysrestaurant.com/

I also wrote a review for the Rest. on tripadvisor.com where its rated the number 1 rest. in LV. If you care to read it here is the link.

http://las-vegas-hotels.tripadvisor....as_Nevada.html
Old 03-11-2008, 06:19 AM
Veteran member

What good memories of La Francaise in Wheeling, IL. Well worth the drive.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Platinum member

Fumar, :bow: A ROLEX! Lucky you.......Well for a Timex price my favorite restaurant is Oceanview Chinese Restaurant in my beautiful hometown, Narragansett, RI. The food is gourmet Chinese. Hot and sour crispy pork, Pan fried noodle and three delight, Imperial Chicken. This hidden jewel has food very unlike any chinese. I would have over 1,000 timex watches, but would rather eat out. Also many years ago we had the best chateaubriand at Ivana's in the Trump hotel, Atlantic City. In the world????? been to Canada and Mexico........do you see europe in my future, GREAT FUMAR??? :bow:
Old 03-12-2008, 03:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP
MACARONI GRILL!!!! Too bad we don't have one anywheres near here.

Isn't there one of those in the Orlando Airport?
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Eternal Member

Yes there is a Macaroni Grill in the Orland Airport. There's another in Lake Buena Vista off of I-4 on rte 535.
Good restaurant, although a little bit away from "Favorite in the World" in my mind". We have one near us up north, and the food's good, we eat there pretty regularly. In my opinion, it's like the Olive Garden, but much better. It's reasonably priced too - no Rolex needed to eat there.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.