Where should the TOTV Monthly meetings be?

View Poll Results: Good replacement place for Crispers for our 3rd Friday Crispers meetings?
Beef O'bradys 0 0%
Bob Evans 2 8.70%
Cody's Roadhouse 3 13.04%
Johnny Rockets 3 13.04%
Sonny's Bbq 1 4.35%
Sonrise Cafe 3 13.04%
Steak 'n Shake 1 4.35%
Subway 1 4.35%
Toojay's 3 13.04%
Another choice. 9 39.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2017, 01:37 PM
Eternal Member

Whatever venue is chosen, cost is a factor. Would Panera or some other restaurant be willing to give a space for free even if no one buys anything? I have been to a few Crispers meets and never saw anything except maybe a cold drink being purchased by a couple of members.

I used to attend Sunday night trivia at City Fire. Trivia players filled most of the restaurant. Very few bought food. Most had a beer or two. Some players just ordered ice water and extra lemon and made lemonade-and never tipped the waitress. City Fire finally said ENOUGH and Sunday trivia rents space from Canal Street Rec Center.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:18 PM
Veteran member

Dunkin donuts on 441 near the hospital has a meeting room.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:01 PM
Email Reported As Spam

You are going to need a fact finding committee before anything of substance can be discussed . I doubt you will find any restaurant that would provide a room unless they had a guarantee of a set amount of money to pay for the room.

is there a charge to use a rec center room?
Old 05-10-2017, 03:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
All,

I can only attend meetings over the summer due to a conflict the other 9 months of the year. I am open to what ever the group decides, all of the suggestions on the ballot appear reasonable. I like the idea of a rec center, as this provides the possibility of an indoor meeting. my wife occasionally attends and she really does not like the heat. Also, if a rec center is chosen, this could be bring a snack to share, and whatever you want to drink.

If a restaurant or similar is chosen, we liked the idea of ordering take out at the end of the meeting and then going home.

I hope the group can stay together, I was looking forward to see you all again over the summer.

VT
I like the pot luck idea, villagetinker. If it is more of a share-a-meal social occasion, maybe more would attend.

Another thought: Seabreeze rec center has an outdoor covered picnic area.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:26 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

I agree they have a meeting room

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 05-10-2017, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
You are going to need a fact finding committee before anything of substance can be discussed . I doubt you will find any restaurant that would provide a room unless they had a guarantee of a set amount of money to pay for the room.

is there a charge to use a rec center room?
Rubicon. I wanted to get a dialog started about this so that we can look at this topic from a lot of angles. And this Villages is so much bigger than when the group decided on Crispers in 2008.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aframe View Post
A thought.....Colony has a covered pavilion with picnic tables which can be moved around. Washrooms within 50 ft. and parking within 100 feet. water fountains also, or byob.
The last meeting I went to was about 5 or 6 years ago in the summer when the temp was 97 degrees and they decided to set outside except about 8 of us who sat inside. Not exactly a social get together....
Old 05-10-2017, 05:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDog View Post
Ellen is right about the lack of attendance lately at the monthly meetings. If so few people are not interested in attending for whatever reason than personally I don't see the need to continue these meetings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
Looking back at some older pics of gatherings long ago the attendance was really high and normally a fairly sized group. It's been declining since.
It's true that when TOTV was new, the attendance at monthly TOTV meetings was huge, and it's been declining ever since.
Back in 2008 when there were only 2,000 members, a lot of us went in the Chat Room every night.
We got to know each other and socialized together. I still count some of the "oldies" as my dearest friends.
Now with The Villages growing and a huge TOTV membership, things have changed a lot.
People seem busier now with neighborhood gatherings, golf, lunch with friends, groups such as Parrotheads, etc.
I don't think it's a bad thing -- just a sign of the times.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:13 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Gee, I have enjoyed the four or more Crisper gatherings that I have attended as a snowbird. Now that I am finally a permanent resident of TV to present my case as such in all discussions, there may not be a gathering?

I would enjoy meeting in a rec center closer to the current center of TV with face to face discussions of current interesting forum topics as well as meeting people. Invite a TV official to tell their story at a meeting!
Old 05-11-2017, 09:09 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
It's true that when TOTV was new, the attendance at monthly TOTV meetings was huge, and it's been declining ever since.
Back in 2008 when there were only 2,000 members, a lot of us went in the Chat Room every night.
We got to know each other and socialized together. I still count some of the "oldies" as my dearest friends.
Now with The Villages growing and a huge TOTV membership, things have changed a lot.
People seem busier now with neighborhood gatherings, golf, lunch with friends, groups such as Parrotheads, etc.
I don't think it's a bad thing -- just a sign of the times.

Well said Barefoot. The growth of the villages does have an inpact and I believe TOTV grew as more and more people were looking for answers concerning their move here. There are a lot of members here Ellen and I wish we got to meet.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Gold member

Have you considered booking conference rooms at on of the libraries?
Old 05-11-2017, 12:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Have you considered booking conference rooms at on of the libraries?
Sumter County, FL - Official Website

That's a good idea. Will have to check out if they allow food and the like.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

The last two that I attended there was only a "handful". It's true TV has grown and 466 is no where near the center of TV. I'm not saying the meeting has to be right in the center but probably at least Sumter Landing would be better to attract "Newbies" to the meetings and maybe "Oldies" would like a change of scenery too. Someone mentioned Panera Bread. Busy, busy so perhaps a meeting every month is a bit much. Once quarterly a lunch doesn't sound bad to me. We are "snowflakes" (own/come and go) but maybe "frogs" in the future. The meetings have been informal and I believe you need to be organized in order to get a room in a Recreational Center. Just some thoughts.......
Old 05-11-2017, 01:24 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
The last two that I attended there was only a "handful". It's true TV has grown and 466 is no where near the center of TV. I'm not saying the meeting has to be right in the center but probably at least Sumter Landing would be better to attract "Newbies" to the meetings and maybe "Oldies" would like a change of scenery too. Someone mentioned Panera Bread. Busy, busy so perhaps a meeting every month is a bit much. Once quarterly a lunch doesn't sound bad to me. We are "snowflakes" (own/come and go) but maybe "frogs" in the future. The meetings have been informal and I believe you need to be organized in order to get a room in a Recreational Center. Just some thoughts.......
I believe you are right about using meeting rooms in the recreation centers that they must be an organized club or group .
Old 05-11-2017, 02:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I believe you are right about using meeting rooms in the recreation centers that they must be an organized club or group .
What would we need to be an "organized" group in the Villages?
Closed Thread

Tags
monthly, meetings, good, place, month

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.