Who remembers lums hot dogs steamed in beer?

Closed Thread
Old 03-10-2013, 08:55 AM
Sage
Default Who remembers lums hot dogs steamed in beer?

Who remembers the old 1960's/1970's LUMS ?

They were known for their steamed hot dogs in beer........

We recall the one on A1A in Satellite Beach, Florida....on the east coast.

Just for fun, I tried to find their old recipe (what kind of hot dog and what brand of beer they used) to no avail.........however, there is a LUMS still going strong, with the full menu....located in Seekonk, Massachusetts at 717 Fall River Avenue:

www.mylums.com

Click on "menu" on sidebar.....
Old 03-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Who remembers the old 1960's/1970's LUMS ?

They were known for their steamed hot dogs in beer........

We recall the one on A1A in Satellite Beach, Florida....on the east coast.

Just for fun, I tried to find their old recipe (what kind of hot dog and what brand of beer they used) to no avail.........however, there is a LUMS still going strong, with the full menu....located in Seekonk, Massachusetts at 717 Fall River Avenue:

www.mylums.com

Click on "menu" on sidebar.....
I remember Lums from both Coconut Grove and the one in Satellite Beach. I lived almost right across A1A from Lums and used to go there all the time.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Gold member

my favorite was on kalakaua ave in waikiki.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:09 AM

We had one in Puerto Rico
Used to be our family outing since as Cuban exiles dad could not afford to take us to fancy restaurants for a while.
We loved these outings to Lums!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:10 AM

When I was 14, I cooked hot dogs at the county fair beer concession stand each year. The hot dogs were grilled but the sourkraut was cooked in beer and was fabulous! I also enjoyed sneaking a taste of the beer before adding to the kraut.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
I remember Lums from both Coconut Grove and the one in Satellite Beach. I lived almost right across A1A from Lums and used to go there all the time.
A blast from the past. In early 1970's we lived on Thrush Drive in a developement off of A1A.....on a canal. After exiting our developement, we'd turn right towards Melburne Beach???? To the left was Patrick Air Force Base....and further down was Cape Kennedy...

So, turn right for Lums which was on the beach side.....about five miles down....maybe less.

It's a long time ago. I've found a lot of "recipes" for hot dogs and brats steamed in beer but not the original LUMS recipe.....which I read various comments on how they put "sherry" in their kraut??? The beer steamed hot dogs came either with kraut or chili topping.

Here's one copycat recipe but I doubt if that hot dog brand is correct as I remember them being , as mentioned, more the 1/4 pounder size.

LUM'S BEER HOTDOG

1 can beer.

2 cans water (use empty beer can.)

1 teaspoon sugar.

1 teaspoon garlic powder.

1 teaspoon caraway seeds.

1/4 wedge of a fresh onion.

One Package, John Morrell's, New York Deli Brand, Beef Franks
or your favorite brand of all-beef hot dogs. Lums used a 1/4 pounder hotdog.

Bring everything to a boil, reduce heat to a lowest heat and let stew for no less then15 minutes or longer for more intense flavor.

These are delicious to eat right out of the stewing pot or do them the Lums hotdog way; remove and grill slightly.

Serve on a Quality Hot Dog Bun.....with kraut or chili topping.

(ALSO, AT THE VOLUME LUMS SOLD, THEY DEFINITELY USED MORE THAN ONE CAN OF BEER; VARIOUS RECIPES STATED IT DIDN'T MATTER IF IT WAS CHEAP BEER OR PREMIUM BEER........most were using up leftover beer from cookouts or family reunions, etc.........to steam their hot dogs in.......

For the non hot dog and kraut eaters, I actually know a lot of oldtimers who lived into their 90's eating bratwurst, hot dogs and saurkraut.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcuse View Post
When I was 14, I cooked hot dogs at the county fair beer concession stand each year. The hot dogs were grilled but the sourkraut was cooked in beer and was fabulous! I also enjoyed sneaking a taste of the beer before adding to the kraut.
I bet you did......well, supposedly beer is rich in nutrients and kraut has vitamin C.....so not to worry...........
Old 03-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbmb24101 View Post
We had one in Puerto Rico
Used to be our family outing since as Cuban exiles dad could not afford to take us to fancy restaurants for a while.
We loved these outings to Lums!
Wow, I didn't realize they had expanded so far. Wonder why so few are left?
Thanks for sharing........
Old 03-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
my favorite was on kalakaua ave in waikiki.
Another distant location for LUMS........

Thanks for sharing........
Old 03-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Sage
Smile

We used to have one in Jackson Michigan in the 70's. One night late right before closing we were sitting at a table. Two state troopers were at the next table. In run 2 streakers. They ran right past the cops and thought they were going out the side door, but the owner had just locked the side door! They were caught by the troopers and carried off to jail! It was hilarious!
Old 03-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
We used to have one in Jackson Michigan in the 70's. One night late right before closing we were sitting at a table. Two state troopers were at the next table. In run 2 streakers. They ran right past the cops and thought they were going out the side door, but the owner had just locked the side door! They were caught by the troopers and carried off to jail! It was hilarious!
I was waiting for a puch line connecting Lums hot dogs and two streakers wait for wait for it wait for it wait for it wait for it
Old 03-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Veteran member

We had one in Richmond, Va---used to go regularly in the late 60's-70's-until it closed. Loved their ice-cold schooner of beer and their souvlaki sandwich with cucumber sauce. They couldn't advertise "steamed in beer---at that time---due to our ABC (liquor board) rules so they said "steamed in ABC." It was next door to a very active car wash so we had something to watch while we ate!
Old 03-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Default Lums

Attended University of Tampa and for your birthday you would get either a 32 or 64 oz beer in a large glass for free. Use to frequent the Lums on Dale Mabry and Kennedy.

Philly Boy
Old 03-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Location: Ft. Lauderdale - New Castle,PA - Overland Park, KS - Palm Bay, FL - Village of Charlotte

I'm a Ft. Lauderdale girl and our Lum's was on Sunrise Blvd. near Searstown. One of my favorite haunts.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Eternal Member

We had several in Jax Florida. Great hot dogs and frosted mugs. Yum!!!

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.