Who remembers lums hot dogs steamed in beer?

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
So, how do you all think a LUMS would do in THE VILLAGES??????
I think that the last thing that TV needs is yet another chain restaurant. It would be nice to see some mom & pop places start up, but I think the chance of that is small since the cost to lease TV-owned property is pretty stiff. A hardship for small business start-ups. It's much easier for a chain to absorb the start-up lease costs.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I like chains. I think they have to perform to higher standards in cleanliness and in food quality to keep MOST franchise agreements than does a small restaurant who has no one checking on it and critiquing it..

Most chain restaurants can buy in quantity and keep the price lower. Most of them have a good training program for their staff. They have to follow the direction of a chain wide menu probably planned under the eye of top level cooks at corporate headquarters, even if some of the stuff is pre-prepared. I know what I am getting when I go in a chain and sometimes in a mom and pop, I am thrilled and other times I am disappointed.

I am a seasoned cook, perhaps not a good one, but I am pretty confident of cooking almost anything I want, so when I go out I want something clean, fresh, decent and no unpleasant surprises.

A very good example of a chain that always serves wonderful stuff, at least to me, is Carrabas.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Default Brings back memories

Lums in Harrisburg, Pa. Loved the place.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Sage

Lums in Miami on 7th Ave

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...restaurant.jpg

LUMS was founded in 1956 by Stuart and Clifford S. Perlman when they purchased Lum's hot dog stand in Miami Beach for $10,000.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I like chains. I think they have to perform to higher standards in cleanliness and in food quality to keep MOST franchise agreements than does a small restaurant who has no one checking on it and critiquing it..

Most chain restaurants can buy in quantity and keep the price lower. Most of them have a good training program for their staff. They have to follow the direction of a chain wide menu probably planned under the eye of top level cooks at corporate headquarters, even if some of the stuff is pre-prepared. I know what I am getting when I go in a chain and sometimes in a mom and pop, I am thrilled and other times I am disappointed.

I am a seasoned cook, perhaps not a good one, but I am pretty confident of cooking almost anything I want, so when I go out I want something clean, fresh, decent and no unpleasant surprises.

A very good example of a chain that always serves wonderful stuff, at least to me, is Carrabas.
I don't dislike chains..we go to a number of them. But I think that here in TV-Land there are already a huge number of them.

Never been to Carrabas..Never heard anything bad about their food..But I hear that their wine is expensive.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Platinum member
Default Lums

There was a Lum's right here in Leesburg !
(Click on the green movie camera. Cute!)

Skip
Old 03-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Gold member

We had one in Royal Oak, Michigan and they were the sponsor for husband's softball team. Loved those hot dogs and of course we went there after every game.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 03-14-2013, 11:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
I think that the last thing that TV needs is yet another chain restaurant. It would be nice to see some mom & pop places start up, but I think the chance of that is small since the cost to lease TV-owned property is pretty stiff. A hardship for small business start-ups. It's much easier for a chain to absorb the start-up lease costs.
They WILL roll the "build-out" into a Triple Net....and...
......................................... allow for a Zero Base Start.

Of course, your FAIR ISSAC must exceed 725 to allow this.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:34 AM

There was a Lums in NY and I loved there chocolate pudding when I was little!
Old 03-15-2013, 03:16 PM

My mouth is watering. I ate at Lums in Miami on 7th ave and around 111st almost every day or night back in the day. I also remember the one on 79th St.,also the one in The Grove. Good Memories. Everything they had was good.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaFish View Post
My mouth is watering. I ate at Lums in Miami on 7th ave and around 111st almost every day or night back in the day. I also remember the one on 79th St.,also the one in The Grove. Good Memories. Everything they had was good.
The hot dogs at the Lums in The Grove were almost addictive as what we were doing across the street in the park.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:04 PM
Veteran member
Default Just Beer

My wife, Marybb, worked at Lums in New Bedford, Ma. (there were 2 in the city) when we met, and for a time after we were married. I remember her bringing home chili dogs for me in the evening when her shift ended, and they were great. I asked her this evening how they were made and she said although she didn't know the brand, they were jumbo franks, and were steam in only beer. Now it's possible that spices were added in other locations, but in the 2 New Bedford locations, and the one in Seekonk, Ma. (the highest grossing store in the chain) only beer was used. As Pooh will probably remember, in Southern Ma. and Rhode Island, most towns have hot dog stands with steamed dogs or grilled dogs (we called them Coney Island or Tex Barry's) with steamed buns. My favorite is a steamed dog with Coney Island sauce and raw onions. For me, I rank them right up there with a good steak dinner, when I'm in the mood!!
Old 03-15-2013, 11:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
My wife, Marybb, worked at Lums in New Bedford, Ma. (there were 2 in the city) when we met, and for a time after we were married. I remember her bringing home chili dogs for me in the evening when her shift ended, and they were great. I asked her this evening how they were made and she said although she didn't know the brand, they were jumbo franks, and were steam in only beer. Now it's possible that spices were added in other locations, but in the 2 New Bedford locations, and the one in Seekonk, Ma. (the highest grossing store in the chain) only beer was used. As Pooh will probably remember, in Southern Ma. and Rhode Island, most towns have hot dog stands with steamed dogs or grilled dogs (we called them Coney Island or Tex Barry's) with steamed buns. My favorite is a steamed dog with Coney Island sauce and raw onions. For me, I rank them right up there with a good steak dinner, when I'm in the mood!!
Mac's soda bar on Sconticut Neck made the best grilled hot dogs I've ever had....with fresh onions, mustard and relish, Cains I think.....ah, a sweet memory. MaryB was at Lums??? Maybe I saw her there and that's why she has always looked familiar to me....
Old 03-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
They WILL roll the "build-out" into a Triple Net....and...
......................................... allow for a Zero Base Start.

Of course, your FAIR ISSAC must exceed 725 to allow this.
I wonder who decided that Issac was fair??
Old 03-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikitv View Post
We had one in Royal Oak, Michigan and they were the sponsor for husband's softball team. Loved those hot dogs and of course we went there after every game.
Michigan..Home to one of my favorite but now-departed restaurant chains..Bill Knapps!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.