Why not have Restaurant that makes diabetic foods yummy!

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2018, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Why not have Restaurant that makes diabetic foods yummy!

Wonder why no diabetic restaurant when there is a epidemic of the disease! I know this must be possible.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,607 Times in 5,195 Posts

The reason is that healthy food doesn't sell in restaurants. That is why there is an epidemic of diabetes. Too many people eat in restaurants.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Wonder why no diabetic restaurant when there is a epidemic of the disease! I know this must be possible.
I believe that you can make healthy selections in a lot of restaurants. Salads can be served with dressing on the side. Meats can be cut in half. You can skip the high carb and fatty things. You probably are better off without alcohol so that you won't lose your resolve to select good for you things.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:08 PM
Sage

I'm here to say you can eat out and eat healthy foods. You just need to do what Gracie said and cut the carbs. My fasting A1c was downsized from nearly 7 to mid-5's by just changing how I eat!
Old 01-23-2018, 01:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,607 Times in 5,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I'm here to say you can eat out and eat healthy foods. You just need to do what Gracie said and cut the carbs. My fasting A1c was downsized from nearly 7 to mid-5's by just changing how I eat!
I agree. Also, the old rule of eating 3 square meals a day is extremely unhealthy. Eat small portions of food at least 6 times a day. The typical restaurant "meal" has enough calories, carbs, sodium, and fat for the entire day and maybe even the next day. So, share the meal with someone and then take the leftovers home. No need for a special restaurant.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:39 AM
Veteran member

It’s not easy dining out with diabetes or pre-diabetes. I research online for nutrition info at various restaurants which is a pain. The results show that the carb heavy foods are the majority items on most menus. Near my villa is a Subway, Sammy Jo’s Pizza (I love pizza), Chinese take-out, Beef Obrady’s and the new Cody’s. That doesn’t leave me with many options although Cody’s does have more low carb options (salad, chicken, fish, steak) than the others after substituting veggies for potato, rice and pasta. Can’t have that great bread with the cinnamon butter. One of our favorite restaurants was Red Sauce but that is no longer really an option. But the good news is with me making better food choices, I’m down to a weight I was at 20 years ago.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:44 AM
Veteran member

TooJay’s is also a pretty good choice after substituting more veggies for less starch.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:05 AM

We have found restaurants to be willing to make changes when we are eating out. Ask for your meats to be prepared without oils or butter added. Stick with salads, no croutons or cheese, and vinaigrette dressing on the side. Use 2 teaspoons of dressing. Drink lots of water. Avoid eating the basket of bread or the basket of chips and salsa. Six small meals a day balanced in Carbs and Protein works well. My husband and I lost a combined 120 pounds 5 years ago and have been able to keep it off. Neither of us were diabetic, but if we had continued to eat the way we were, we would have been!
Old 01-24-2018, 11:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda.ball View Post
We have found restaurants to be willing to make changes when we are eating out. Ask for your meats to be prepared without oils or butter added. Stick with salads, no croutons or cheese, and vinaigrette dressing on the side. Use 2 teaspoons of dressing. Drink lots of water. Avoid eating the basket of bread or the basket of chips and salsa. Six small meals a day balanced in Carbs and Protein works well. My husband and I lost a combined 120 pounds 5 years ago and have been able to keep it off. Neither of us were diabetic, but if we had continued to eat the way we were, we would have been!
Wow, a combined 120 pounds!
Congratulations!
Old 01-24-2018, 11:31 AM

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I think that's a good idea.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
I think you're on to something. Maybe you could also include Celiac disease entrees.

Maybe everything is a la carte so you don't get bored. Every item is prepared using sous veit cooking in the morning. You just brown up the meat before serving.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:57 PM
Sage

I think you can eat out and eat healthy but it takes some planning.

Interesting you brought this up...have you had the food at the local hospital(s). They're laugh-able if it weren't so sad!! It's truly difficult to manage IF you are restricted in "any" way. NOT diabetic for sure (LOTS of carbs/sugars and more) and not good with other restrictions neither.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

My husband was born with a menu in hand. I consider myself a decent cook but because of his diabetic choices, we eat out a lot, his choice, which is a problem because he makes poor choices.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda.ball View Post
Excellent post/common sense suggestions and...a BIG congrats on the weight loss.
Closed Thread

Tags
restaurant, diabetic, epidemic, disease, makes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.