Why there are no high end restaurants here

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2017, 04:00 PM
Sage
Default Why there are no high end restaurants here

After seeing posts on other threat complaining that a burger @ $10.50 is too high and a person saying that 1/2 a portobello burger & a cup of soup is fine

I've got nothing more to say--but, you get what you don't want to pay for
Old 01-31-2017, 06:42 PM
Default High End Dining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
After seeing posts on other threat complaining that a burger @ $10.50 is too high and a person saying that 1/2 a portobello burger & a cup of soup is fine

Would you prefer a $20.00 burger? Does a higher price make it taste better?
Old 01-31-2017, 06:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:

You seem to have a misguided belief, that high prices make a good menu, or are you just a food snob.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:59 PM
Sage

No, but I would like a $50.00 cowboy bone in ribeye and a good bottle of Zinfandel, not the swill that most restaurants here call wine
Old 01-31-2017, 07:11 PM

High end dining restaurants to a great extent are reliant on business managers utilizing expense accounts. I do not really believe the like of The Palm, Morton's, Ruth Chris, etc. could maintain their business models without them. There is no shortage of money in The Villages. If there were, we'd not have three financial advisory firms on every street in every town square and most of the professional centers. I just think the majority of the residents, even those with significant personal wealth, came up the " hard way " and are perfectly happy to eat a $ 10.00 hamburger with a beer as opposed to a $ 47.50 Porterhouse with an $ 70.00 bottle of wine. " Been there, done that " for a number of wealthy residents, has to have some application to the lack of high end dining. With that said, I'd love to see a consistent high end steak/ seafood restaurant within the boundaries of The Villages. I doubt though, even if any couple were to eat there a half dozen times a year, and spent $ 275 to 400, it would stay in business. The demographics and geometrics simply do not work.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:15 PM
Sage

Build it & they will come
Old 01-31-2017, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

With all due respect. What we have here if we compare it to a old very popular television show is MASH. We have the majority of the Villages Crew in search of the balance of a reasonable price and a decent meal and then we have Charles Emerson Winchester III.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
No, but I would like a $50.00 cowboy bone in ribeye and a good bottle of Zinfandel, not the swill that most restaurants here call wine
Zinfandel!!! They use that for cooking in the cheaper restaurants don't they?
Old 01-31-2017, 08:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Hey, I was talking about a lunch with neighbors, not a dinner. And I said the restaurant was empty. What I pay for a casual lunch with dinner is a far cry from what I would pay for a good dinner. IMHO The only place in TV that serves a good dinner is Lopez. Plan on $50 pp. Not big city gourmet, but good. It's just food. BTW! Many places will allow you to bring your own wine for a mere $10 corkage fee. Even Red Sauce for darn. Just ask.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:17 PM

Go ask the people that live in the million dollar homes where they eat. They don't overpay and the don't eat crap...but you may have to drive a little.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Wow! What is up with some of you people? Food is food. I can eat a McDonald's burger and I'll bet you anything it will turn into crap and flush down a toilet just like a $10.50 burger or a $50 steak.

I like food, but damn, food is food. Fine dining is salmon patties, fried potatoes, collard greens, purple hull peas, cornbread and iced tea; I need to invite some of y'all over for "fine dining southern style".
Old 02-01-2017, 05:25 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Wow! What is up with some of you people? Food is food. I can eat a McDonald's burger and I'll bet you anything it will turn into crap and flush down a toilet just like a $10.50 burger or a $50 steak.

I like food, but damn, food is food. Fine dining is salmon patties, fried potatoes, collard greens, purple hull peas, cornbread and iced tea; I need to invite some of y'all over for "fine dining southern style".
kcrazorbackfan: Yep I call it peasant food.

What you are witnessing on these pages is an example of Oscar Wilde's "Some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing"
Old 02-01-2017, 06:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post

I think it's what happens between the lips and the other end that makes the deal for most people
Old 02-01-2017, 01:46 PM
Sage

To-twoBills--there are two types of Zinfandel--Pink & Red--the pink is the cheap stuff sometimes used for cooking--an average good bottle of Red Zinfandel hovers around $20.00/ retail--which means it would cost at least $50.00 in a restaurant
Old 02-01-2017, 02:16 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:

This is about the fourth time you posted about your disappointment that The Villages does not have any high end restaurants. You may want to do a survey via local publications to see if there is a demand/market. You may want to speak with the District to see if the annual survey they do has indicated such a demand/market. And included in your inquiry ask if any high end restaurant have entered competition in this community.

Good Luck
Closed Thread

Tags
burger, high, soup, portobello, cup

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.