Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Will this bring fast food prices down?? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/will-bring-fast-food-prices-down-344946/)

msilagy 10-25-2023 05:19 AM

The Villages - the fast food capital of the world - this is a concern? With all that's going on in this world!

Bill14564 10-25-2023 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msilagy (Post 2268030)
The Villages - the fast food capital of the world - this is a concern? With all that's going on in this world!

I need something to think about when I take a break from easing world hunger, cleaning up the streets of San Francisco, fighting the drug cartels, and ending the invasion of Ukraine.

Rainger99 10-25-2023 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msilagy (Post 2268030)

A lot of people seem to be concerned about AI replacing humans. This is another aspect.

rsmurano 10-25-2023 05:43 AM

The government needs to stop paying people to stay home instead of working. Nobody wants to work anymore because they know they will get paid.
Plus, raising the minimum wage fixes nothing. Everybody who got a $5 increase in pay still made less overall because all the businesses raised their prices to cover the increase in salaries and part of the inflation we have been experiencing is due to these increase in salaries.

mtdjed 10-25-2023 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2267943)
Probably, but I have no interest in going through a drive-thru. I also have no interest in using a touch screen in the restaurant.

You got that touch screen right. I have not been to an Olive Garden for years. My last image was of a small child playing some game on the touch screen while wiping drool from his mouth and nose with those same hands. Saw the wait staff come in and remove the dishes, a quick wipe of the table, and reset the table for the next customer. The touch screen was merely repositioned.

Spoke to the manager about observation and was told that it was corporate policy that cleaning be performed after every use. Good to know that policy protected us.

You might ask, why bring that up in a thread about automation? Touch screens are part of the process of automation. Get rid of the people and transfer the work directly from customer to robot. Who controls the touch points? Only a good well-trained manager with a well-trained staff. Are they building that into automation?

Enjoy your next fast food or any dining experience knowing that corporate policy is protecting you.

spinner1001 10-25-2023 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2267924)
I think what fast food restaurants need is more customers, not fewer employees. Whenever I go to a fast food place, the dining area is almost empty.

Fast food restaurant revenues have been growing except during the pandemic.

Revenue for Limited-Service Restaurants, All Establishments, Employer Firms (LRRAEEF2722513) | FRED | St. Louis Fed

mikeycereal 10-25-2023 06:33 AM

We'll never have to worry about a robot not washing their hands.

LonnyP 10-25-2023 06:49 AM

No. Have to cover equipment cost first and it will then decrease overhead and increase profit. It helps solve the worker shortage, nobody wants to work in the service industry anymore.

Rodneysblue 10-25-2023 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainger99 (Post 2267905)
White Castle is using robots to make French fries. I would assume that making hamburgers will be next. With kiosks and robots, it seems that fast food restaurants will have significantly lower labor costs in the future. And more starter jobs will disappear.

White Castle is rolling out fry cook robots across the US

And don’t forget to add in pink slim beef.

oldtimes 10-25-2023 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsmurano (Post 2268038)
Plus, raising the minimum wage fixes nothing. Everybody who got a $5 increase in pay still made less overall because all the businesses raised their prices to cover the increase in salaries and part of the inflation we have been experiencing is due to these increase in salaries.

Exactly:

Minimum wage: $0.75/hour.
Gas: $0.27 or 22m.
Movie ticket: $0.48 or 38m.
Rent: $42 or 56hrs. (All figures represent the average cost of a movie ticket, a gallon of gas, and the median rent.)

Bay Kid 10-25-2023 07:39 AM

In California they passed a law to pay fast food employees $20 an hour minimum wage. Robots will be getting a lot more work.

Steve 10-25-2023 07:46 AM

Quote:

White Castle is using robots to make French fries. I would assume that making hamburgers will be next. With kiosks and robots, it seems that fast food restaurants will have significantly lower labor costs in the future. And more starter jobs will disappear.

Won't happen because the aim of automation is not to bring prices down. It's to push profits up. The real losers will be the employees who will be out of a job. That's why I NEVER use the self-checkout lanes. I'm willing to stand in line for a few minutes to save someone's job.

mntlblok 10-25-2023 08:01 AM

To set the clock or not. . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2267958)
Not just your dad. The VCR was a technology disaster because normal people couldn't program them. Most people couldn't even set the clock. Being an engineer, I loved them.

It was *so* painful to not only set that clock, but also to set it up to record your programs. Turned out that there were just enough motivators for me to break down and get it done - not the least of which being that I learnt from my peers the term "twelve o'clock flasher". The best thing about the internet coming along in the mid-nineties was that I finally had so much better *access* to my peers. Best invention ever - the internet, not the VCR's.

Vermilion Villager 10-25-2023 08:36 AM

Quote:

Will this bring prices down? Absoultly not! You only have to look as far as a Winn-Dixie Publix, walmart, or Target to see the automated checkout lanes.Did their prices go down?

Stu from NYC 10-25-2023 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bay Kid (Post 2268096)
In California they passed a law to pay fast food employees $20 an hour minimum wage. Robots will be getting a lot more work.

Why in the world would a business owner forced to pay unskilled employees 20 bucks an hour (who often think they are doing their employer a favor by showing up) not think about replacing them with a machine?