Which two words don't apply?

Toojays Gourmet Deli
Old 07-10-2018, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Gourmet and Deli
Old 07-10-2018, 10:00 AM
Talking

Here are 2 more of my own: totally agree.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:24 PM
Sage

Ditto--
Old 07-10-2018, 04:05 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,318 Times in 384 Posts

I guess calling yourself gourmet is about the same as calling those old rat-trap restaurants at the golf courses “Country Clubs”.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I guess calling yourself gourmet is about the same as calling those old rat-trap restaurants at the golf courses “Country Clubs”.
There are not any country clubs in The Villages. Everytime someone refers to the restaurants located on a golf course as a country club I shake my head.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I LIKE Toojays and I LIKE Cane Garden and Mallory and Havana and I am tired of food snobbery on this forum. And don't send me a nasty P.M. I am as able as anyone else to judge when something is yummy or not. I find what people like to eat very geographic. It isn't a right or wrong thing. It is a matter of personal taste. Who put some of you as the experts?

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-10-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:43 PM
Gold member

There are some people here in the villages, who because they either lived in urban areas or travelled alot in life, who have had far more “sophisticaed” culinary experience than others. Their opinion is far more valid than those who didnt have their experiences with food.

If you like something, eat it. But those who rave about some of the mediocre restaurants here probably never ate in much more than an Applebees.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:48 PM
Gold member

And I too like Toojays. Its decent food and consistent, unlike the roller coaster experiences at some of the “country clubs”
Old 07-10-2018, 05:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
There are some people here in the villages, who because they either lived in urban areas or travelled alot in life, who have had far more “sophisticaed” culinary experience than others. Their opinion is far more valid than those who didnt have their experiences with food.

If you like something, eat it. But those who rave about some of the mediocre restaurants here probably never ate in much more than an Applebees.
People who have eaten at five star restaurants, and traveled to many countries may enjoy common, every day foods too.

Perhaps the sophisticated culinary experience that some have had did not help them with good manners. I don't think people RAVE about the restaurants here as much as they usually can find something nice to eat at most of them. I do not think it makes a person look sophisticated, worldly, well travelled or cosmopolitan to be critical of other's taste in food. It just makes them look poorly raised and boorish.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:49 PM
Gold member

I’ve seen very little poor manners here. I’ve seen far more valid criticisms of restaurants than personal attacks on someone’s enjoyment of a particular food.

If you enjoyed your meal than just say that. Don’t try to tell me the restaurant is great because you enjoyed your bowl of pig snouts and grits, that you know the waiters name, or they had your obscure brand of vodka.

So many turn a blind eye to the mediocre quality of the restaurants here just because they enjoyed their meal
Old 07-10-2018, 06:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Many who live here traveled for a living, in the US, and Europe. It not being a food snob it’s the food you have enjoyed most of your life. We traveled to Europe in the summers, with our children, and our oldest loved it so much he moved there for 7 years. They would board the train with their bikes and eat some of the most amazing food, and drink wine that had a hand written name on the bottle.

We were not raised on processed food, more of a farm to table, except it was our farms. I have only drank milk from the cows in the barn as they were milked. I don’t drink store bought milk, it’s yuck. Our eggs came from the chickens in the coop, Our beef and pork came from a different paddock, on the farm. Our fruit, and veggies were picked as we used then, or had to do a full harvest. I didn’t know what a grocery was until I moved to my first apartment.

Hard to say which food we loved the best around the country. But if I am going to spend money in a restaurant, it’s going to be something I have not mastered well enough to make at home.

As for Toojays, once you have been to NYC, there is not a deli, or a bagel place that comes close, in TV. We all had different lifestyles, and for some food, and wine is a big part of that experience.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Many who live here traveled for a living, in the US, and Europe. It not being a food snob it’s the food you have enjoyed most of your life. We traveled to Europe in the summers, with our children, and our oldest loved it so much he moved there for 7 years. They would board the train with their bikes and eat some of the most amazing food, and drink wine that had a hand written name on the bottle.

We were not raised on processed food, more of a farm to table, except it was our farms. I have only drank milk from the cows in the barn as they were milked. I don’t drink store bought milk, it’s yuck. Our eggs came from the chickens in the coop, Our beef and pork came from a different paddock, on the farm. Our fruit, and veggies were picked as we used then, or had to do a full harvest. I didn’t know what a grocery was until I moved to my first apartment.

Hard to say which food we loved the best around the country. But if I am going to spend money in a restaurant, it’s going to be something I have not mastered well enough to make at home.

As for Toojays, once you have been to NYC, there is not a deli, or a bagel place that comes close, in TV. We all had different lifestyles, and for some food, and wine is a big part of that experience.
My problem is the supposition that people who are not critical day in and day out have not been exposed to good food. I don't think an expensive steak and a baked potato and an expensive liquor is fine dining. I think a lovely leg of lamb with rosemary and garlic and three amazing vegetable sides and an exquisite freshly baked bread plus a great dessert is fine dining. I love hassenpheffer and coq a vin and pork and sauerkraut and turtle soup and a good brie with fruit. I adore escargot with clarified butter. I like a simple baked white fish with butter. I plumb adore my own peach pie. I don't drink alcohol anymore. I had a bout with chemo that stopped me. I am deadly allergic to shellfish but oh I loved them and miss them. My father was a wine gourmet, and had an amazing tongue. He was a brewmaster as was my grandfather and they always provided beautiful food for our guests.

But if I had nothing but hamburgers and corn all of my life and enjoyed it, fine. No one has the right to belittle another's taste or talk down to them. I traveled to New York city once a month for many years. They have excellent food, but so does Cincinnati, Ohio.

As for Toojays, try their chicken livers in cream sauce with onions... very good. Not quite Esterhazy Rostbratin, but very good. And so is the way I make cauliflower, but I am tired of arguing about that. I will be gone for a few days. I am royally pithed. Just so you all know I haven't been banned.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-10-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I LIKE Toojays and I LIKE Cane Garden and Mallory and Havana and I am tired of food snobbery on this forum. And don't send me a nasty P.M. I am as able as anyone else to judge when something is yummy or not. I find what people like to eat very geographic. It isn't a right or wrong thing. It is a matter of personal taste. Who put some of you as the experts?
Boom! Spot on post!
Old 07-10-2018, 08:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
And I too like Toojays. Its decent food and consistent, unlike the roller coaster experiences at some of the “country clubs”
True about the roller coaster experiences at the CC's. Palmer Legends is Russian roulette.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
apply, toojays, gourmet, deli, words

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.