World of Beer Strange Policy

Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2018, 11:39 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
We were going to purchase drinks at the bar and carry them to one of the 3 empty tables in the bar area. There were at least 6 empty tables in the restaurant that were not being used for any purpose. We were not in a hurry to eat dinner. But the guy at the front of the restaurant specifically told us that we could not sit at the empty tables, and that we had to leave the building and wait for him to call us on the phone, so that we could come back to the restaurant and eat the 5 dollar burgers. So, we went to the town square and bought drinks at the drink shack, and then the guy called us and we returned to the restaurant and ordered the 5 dollar burgers. The burgers were very good. My only issue is that I have never been asked to leave a restaurant when I was willing to buy drinks, and the place was not even crowded.
You were kind. I doubt I would have returned. That’s just rude.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

All that for 5 dollar hamburger
Old 02-24-2019, 08:30 PM

Boy they are slow! Went there tonight with the family. When the food finally made it (45 minutes) it was ok except their WOB Cob. No salad just stuff spread around the plate. Good burgers, flatbread, and chicken nuggets. Another reason to wait for the summer to go out to dinner. Staffing here in the season is terrible. JMHO
Old 02-24-2019, 08:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Dum View Post
Where were you supposed to drink your drinks that you purchased at the bar? Outside? In your car? Take them home? Something here seems amiss.
That seems exactly the point. My guess (without checking the state's general statutes): establishments such as WoB must provide seating for anyone purchasing alcohol. Since those vacant seats *in the bar* didn't have a server, your only option would be to not drink and wait right there, or not drink and leave. You can't go sit down at a table at the bar since those seats are not attended (just like you can't go into the dining room and park yourself at a vacant table there, either). If a stool was vacant you'd be welcome to occupy it. But a seat must be available for you to occupy, if you wish to purchase alcohol at that particular type of establishment.

That'd be my guess, anyway.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:05 PM
Location: Brooklyn, Staten Island, Mount Hope, NY, Villa De Laguna

I went to Sonnys for dinner with a party of 4. Saw quite a few empty tables. When we went to the hostess we were told that the wait may be half an hour due to the kitchen being backed up. We had the option to leave but waited and were seated within 15 minutes. I would rather they tell me than to just say nothing.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:26 PM
Platinum member

Ring - Ring
[YOU] "Hello!"
[WOB] "Sir, your table is ready now."
[YOU] "OK, I'll be there in about a half hour, I want to finish my beers at City Fire. They're two for one right now. See you later!"
[WOB] "What?"

Skip
Old 02-25-2019, 04:48 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Villagers appear to have issue with being told no. I see many posts shaming the bar but no posts pointing out the lack of complete and most likely exaggerated claim. Keep in mind, the 5 dollar hamburger is a WOB perk to the regulars and not a way for someone to get a cheap meal with a glass of water. I’m not saying that is the case hear, but I am saying I find it possible that the OP has left out a few details.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
A number of reasons this could have happened.

- Holding tables in an area together to accomodate a large group requiring more than two+ tables, and you are unsure of which neighboring table is going to "break" next.

- Understaffed. Not having enough employees to cover all the tables in the building. Becoming commonplace in the hospitality industry. Look at the help wanted section on Craigslist or Indeed. EVERY restaurant is hiring.

- "False Wait" Usually employed to allow the kitchen to get caught up as opposed to pushing people to the bar to get drinks. The after effect of that is usually detrimental to the kitchen. When the wait is released, the tables are seated at a controlled pace to not allow the kitchen to get "slammed".

I will bet we will see this more and more in TV as the number of restaurants increases, the amount of available staff decreases, and the lack of restaurants that accept reservations.
Right on, sounds like you worked in the industry at one time...
Old 03-02-2019, 01:46 PM

We have gone to Bob Evans in Colony and were put on a list being told that it would be 20-3o minutes. There were open tables and sets at the bar. They said they could not staff those areas. I can't figure it out!
Old 03-02-2019, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

Same for me.
Got home from golf yesterday, sat at table for lunch.
Wife said sorry no staff available for that table, or in kitchen.
Went to World of Beer, had a $5 burger. Place was empty, service great, very nice server
Offered her a job at my house which she accepted.
Threw wife out. All is good at home now!
Old 03-19-2019, 07:02 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
Villagers appear to have issue with being told no. I see many posts shaming the bar but no posts pointing out the lack of complete and most likely exaggerated claim. Keep in mind, the 5 dollar hamburger is a WOB perk to the regulars and not a way for someone to get a cheap meal with a glass of water. I’m not saying that is the case hear, but I am saying I find it possible that the OP has left out a few details.
A perk for the regulars? More likely an incentive to draw in new business. Nothing wrong with a cheap meal and ….you cant get the cheap meal ($5 burger in this case) without buying a beer.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 03-24-2019, 12:37 PM
Default Terrible customer service

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
No details missing. He said we could sit at the bar, but there were no seats available. We could not sit at a table in the bar, even though there were 3 empty high tables.
The manager needs to learn how to run a business, they have no idea what’s going on! They seem to hire very young workers with no experience in the restaurant business. They screw up with empty seats and tables when it’s busy it’s even worse.
Closed Thread

Tags
bar, area, sit, world, told

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.