World of Beer Strange Policy

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2018, 01:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts
Default World of Beer Strange Policy

Went to World of Beer in Brownwood with 3 other people last night for the 5 dollar burgers. The guy told us that there would be a 20-30 minute wait. I noticed that there were 3 empty tables in the dining area and another 3 in the bar area. So, I said that we would buy drinks at the bar and sit in the bar area until we could be served. He told us that we could not sit at a table in the bar, and that we had to leave the restaurant until he called us on the phone. Does anyone think this is a good policy for a restaurant to have? They would have made more money on the drinks than the 5 dollar burgers.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:37 PM

There is a detail or two missing here or something strange was going on. How does a "World" of beer discourage people from going to the bar?
Old 12-04-2018, 01:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
There is a detail or two missing here or something strange was going on. How does a "World" of beer discourage people from going to the bar?
No details missing. He said we could sit at the bar, but there were no seats available. We could not sit at a table in the bar, even though there were 3 empty high tables.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:55 PM

Sometimes I find it amazing the number of people employed in the " hospitality business " that have never looked up the Webster's definition of hospitality.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
No details missing. He said we could sit at the bar, but there were no seats available. We could not sit at a table in the bar, even though there were 3 empty high tables.
All I can think of, then, is that they had the number of tables available that they had staff to cover and were not sitting people at tables because of a short staff. A little strange, maybe, but there may be a corporate policy that they can only commit a certain number of tables per wait staff to ensure customer service.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

I would have thought the question would have been with 6 empty tables why the half hour wait?
Old 12-04-2018, 02:14 PM
Sage

I agree. Obviously, they were short on wait staff. But, I am sure that the bartender would have wanted a tip had I been allowed to pick up the drinks at the bar. Good bartenders seem to be able to handle a lot of business when they need to.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 12-04-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:14 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I would have thought the question would have been with 6 empty tables why the half hour wait?
BINGO !!!!!

Ask them, not ToTV.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:43 PM

The question that was asked to TOTV was "Does anyone think this is a good policy for a restaurant to have?", not why. From a business perspective, obviously it's not a good policy. But, having worked for "mother ships" all my career, it doesn't surprise me that they might have a policy that doesn't make sense on its face. My grandmother would have called many of these examples to be "penny wise and pound foolish" and I couldn't even count how many examples of that I have found in my current employment. Another saying that comes to mind around this - "cutting off one's nose despite their face".
Old 12-04-2018, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
The question that was asked to TOTV was "Does anyone think this is a good policy for a restaurant to have?", not why. From a business perspective, obviously it's not a good policy. But, having worked for "mother ships" all my career, it doesn't surprise me that they might have a policy that doesn't make sense on its face. My grandmother would have called many of these examples to be "penny wise and pound foolish" and I couldn't even count how many examples of that I have found in my current employment. Another saying that comes to mind around this - "cutting off one's nose despite their face".
Cutting off one's nose to spite their face.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Cutting off one's nose to spite their face.
You're absolutely right. I was actually coming back to this thread to edit my post when I saw your response. Still, maybe not as bad as when people say "for all intensive purposes".
Old 12-04-2018, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
You're absolutely right. I was actually coming back to this thread to edit my post when I saw your response. Still, maybe not as bad as when people say "for all intensive purposes".
You are such a nice person. I have done something to cut off my nose that might spite my face.

Often when I read your posts I shake my head in agreement. You are an addition to this forum and to this town. May you live to be a thousand years old and not suffer being corrected by a silly old lady again.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:28 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
By not asking them, you don't know if it's a policy........or just human error.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:33 PM
Sage

Good policy - heck no.

Possible reason - The two Worlds of Beer are owned by the same group that owns Hacienda Hills CC and Glenview CC. These country clubs consistently earn low marks on the this forum.

There is a pattern.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:09 PM

Good bartenders take control, make sure everyone in the party is accommodated...This, with a genuine good natured, helpful, deference attitude...Seems, like a rare comity these days, or is it just in The Villages..?
Closed Thread

Tags
bar, area, sit, world, told

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.