World of Beer Strange Policy

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2018, 04:11 PM
Platinum member

It is called a "false wait". Why it was employed...dunno.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Good policy - heck no.

Possible reason - The two Worlds of Beer are owned by the same group that owns Hacienda Hills CC and Glenview CC. These country clubs consistently earn low marks on the this forum.

There is a pattern.
And you Sir win the prize! These people don't have a clue.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:16 PM

I've visited World of Beer in Brownwood many times. It has always been a good experience.
May I guess that the management knows what they are doing?
I haven't run a restaurant. I guess you folks have.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishon View Post
I've visited World of Beer in Brownwood many times. It has always been a good experience.
May I guess that the management knows what they are doing?
I haven't run a restaurant. I guess you folks have.
Sure. You can guess all you want. I "know" they don't have a clue when it comes to running H.H. or G.V. Don't care for WoB.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:27 PM

A number of reasons this could have happened.

- Holding tables in an area together to accomodate a large group requiring more than two+ tables, and you are unsure of which neighboring table is going to "break" next.

- Understaffed. Not having enough employees to cover all the tables in the building. Becoming commonplace in the hospitality industry. Look at the help wanted section on Craigslist or Indeed. EVERY restaurant is hiring.

- "False Wait" Usually employed to allow the kitchen to get caught up as opposed to pushing people to the bar to get drinks. The after effect of that is usually detrimental to the kitchen. When the wait is released, the tables are seated at a controlled pace to not allow the kitchen to get "slammed".

I will bet we will see this more and more in TV as the number of restaurants increases, the amount of available staff decreases, and the lack of restaurants that accept reservations.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:42 PM

Intents and purposes
Old 12-04-2018, 09:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

Coming from someone who has an undergraduate college degree and lots of experience in the hospitality industry, very bad policy. I have never been impressed with WOB, and have given them multiple chances because I love the concept.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

We have seen this question/complaint before. Here is the best answer:

The restaurant is actually doing you a favor. Rather than sitting you at a table knowing that they can not serve you in a timely manor, they are giving you the opportunity to go to another place, or wait where you are.

So, my answer is: Yes, I think it is a good policy.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

I’m not one to wait, i’d just to some where else or go home and eat. Good help probably hard to get and keep, not to many restaurants around here I care to go back to.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
You're absolutely right. I was actually coming back to this thread to edit my post when I saw your response. Still, maybe not as bad as when people say "for all intensive purposes".
Or when my husband, as a boy, sang "One Whore Soap and Sleigh."

Last edited by CFrance; 12-09-2018 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:56 PM

Where were you supposed to drink your drinks that you purchased at the bar? Outside? In your car? Take them home? Something here seems amiss.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:01 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
We have seen this question/complaint before. Here is the best answer:

The restaurant is actually doing you a favor. Rather than sitting you at a table knowing that they can not serve you in a timely manor, they are giving you the opportunity to go to another place, or wait where you are.

So, my answer is: Yes, I think it is a good policy.
They are doing you and themselves a favor by not seating you when the kitchen is possibly behind because of volume and/or complex orders. That would have nothing to do with inadequate wait staff. Some people would complain and give the server a rough time if their meals took too long to get to the table. I have seen people berate the server and leave. Seems like a good solution. Besides, there is plenty of complaining about people here drinking too much, so maybe not sitting them at a table in the bar area is not all that bad.😂
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 12-10-2018, 12:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,414 Times in 5,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Dum View Post
Where were you supposed to drink your drinks that you purchased at the bar? Outside? In your car? Take them home? Something here seems amiss.
We were going to purchase drinks at the bar and carry them to one of the 3 empty tables in the bar area. There were at least 6 empty tables in the restaurant that were not being used for any purpose. We were not in a hurry to eat dinner. But the guy at the front of the restaurant specifically told us that we could not sit at the empty tables, and that we had to leave the building and wait for him to call us on the phone, so that we could come back to the restaurant and eat the 5 dollar burgers. So, we went to the town square and bought drinks at the drink shack, and then the guy called us and we returned to the restaurant and ordered the 5 dollar burgers. The burgers were very good. My only issue is that I have never been asked to leave a restaurant when I was willing to buy drinks, and the place was not even crowded.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 12-10-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:32 AM

It's amazing of the lack of knowledge and they are allowed to even work in the industry!
Old 12-10-2018, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
No details missing. He said we could sit at the bar, but there were no seats available. We could not sit at a table in the bar, even though there were 3 empty high tables.
No seats at the bar and you're not allowed to sit at a table that is designated as a dining table? Happens all the time. Saddle up to the bar, order a drink, and find a place to stand until a seat opens at the bar or your reservation is called.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
bar, area, sit, world, told

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.