Yea Sweet Tomatoes

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post
Either they had a "soft" opening today or opened early because we went by there around 2pm today and the line was out the door into the parking lot.
Their website says they open here April 4. We're looking forward to trying it.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Default Great place to eat

We have one in Ft. Myers. The food is ALWAYS fresh and the service is wonderful.
One of our favorite places to eat. I am sure most Villagers will be happy there. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Veteran member

The store that is opening here, in Lady Lake, is listed under the 'Tampa' heading on their website Locations link; I almost didn't see it. They have a 'club' there you can sign up for. www.sweettomatoes.com

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:27 PM

I loved Sweet Tomatoes when we lived in Tampa and was very pleased to hear about the opening near The Villages. They had a soft opening Friday at 11 AM and I was one of the first in line. As expected the food was great having the same salads and soups and breads I so loved at the restaurants in Tampa.

I was disappointed about a few things. First of all, the restaurant is very noisy and appears to look like a large warehouse with exposed overhead piping, lighting, a high ceiling, etc. The restaurants I have visited in Tampa were more like a fine restaurant, less noise and rich looking furniture and design. This restaurant does not seem as large as other Sweet Tomatoes. I suspect this restaurant will be very popular with The Villages people and I do not believe seating space will be adequate. I was one of the first in the door and before I was finished the restaurant was full and people were standing at the check out register waiting for tables. I would hate to be there on opening day!

I am used to getting my salad, paying for the dinner and then going over to the soup and bakery counter to add the soup, pizza, bakery and bread items, etc to the tray. Then I find a table and go to work on my selections. At this restaurant when I tried to do this I found there is no space at the soup counter to place the tray on while selecting the various items. It was suggested I take the tray with the salad to a table and then come back to get my soup and all the other things. This requires a multiple number small plates for the stuff in addition to the filled soup bowl. Since we only have two hands, this seems rather inefficient and requires multiple trips between the table and the counter.

Some of my best memories of Sweet Tomatoes in Tampa is their fantastic mushroom soup. I asked where the mushroom soup was and was told it was only going to be served on Mondays. Please, please serve mushroom soup every day of the week or else I must limit my visits to Mondays only. By the way, the Lentil soup was fantastic.

One final note. They made a big big mistake in not locating this restaurant in The Villages where Sweet Tomatoes would be golf cart accessible. I am sure they will be successful but they would have generated many more costumers if this restaurant was golf cart accessible. I do not think they took into consideration the fact that over 80,000 people live in The Villages and we have over 35,000 golf carts. I believe the majority of us prefer to use golf carts when we go out for lunch or dinner.

I look forward to many happy visits to this Sweet Tomatoes even if I have to get out the car to drive over there.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Sage

It would be nearly impossible to get your salad, a drink, soup, bread and pasta on one tray - we always went to a table in CA after getting our salad and drink and then went to the area with the other food (for multiple trips).

The location does seem a tad smallish from the outside - we were going to go today until we realized at 2:45 PM that is closed at 3:00 PM for today's special opening.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 04-03-2011, 12:16 AM
Default Sweet Tomato VS Cici's

Sweet Tomato is for the discriminating palate and I see Cici's as the mess to the mass -- I've spent years in food service and have tried both -- Lucko -- p.s. "You get what you pay for" and " You will never be sorry you bought quality !! "
Old 04-03-2011, 06:39 AM

The comment was made that it is almost impossible to get everything on one tray. I have done it for years in the Tampa Sweet Tomatoes restaurants as did all of the other patrons.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Sage

Why ?

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 04-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Default It's open!

Had lunch at Sweet Tomatoes today -- wonderful! Two thumbs up.

No problem with full trays -- you get just your salad, pay and go with your tray to your table. Then you go for your drink, soups, breads, pasta, dessert, whenever you want to. If you want more salad, you just get back into the salad line.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike42 View Post
Had lunch at Sweet Tomatoes today -- wonderful! Two thumbs up.

No problem with full trays -- you get just your salad, pay and go with your tray to your table. Then you go for your drink, soups, breads, pasta, dessert, whenever you want to. If you want more salad, you just get back into the salad line.
How crowded was it today? I was thinking of going there about 6:30 or so.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 04-05-2011, 10:35 AM

Ray B, I think they made a good choice to be out side of the 'Villages, golf cars or not because of the money thing, look how much more they can make being out side of the villages.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Sweet Tomatoes

Rabbit food= empty calories
Old 04-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Gold member

I have already been to Sweet Tomatoes 4 times already and the service has been great. Because of that we leave a tip at the table because they come around often and pick up plates etc. Probably a lot of people don't tip there but I think the service by the staff deserves a tip.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 04-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Rabbit food= empty calories
A little more research is required on your part. That's a broad brush your sweeping with, Rubicon.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Yea Sweet tomatoes

K9lovers when discussing nutritional foods for a regime my doc in MN his response to salads was "empty calories. Doc was weighing calories vs nutritional value. While I share the doc's view I am not taking issue with it. Heck I am married to a cute little bunny who loves salads.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.